Stabilant 22 Pricing saga!
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon5 Stabilant 22 Pricing saga!

Interesting experience yesterday – following on from several posts that have mentioned Stabilant 22 a product that claims to provide an enhanced electrical contact between electrical connections.

The product is expensive $100 $AUS for 15ml and a large part of that is Isopropyl Alcohol 80 per cent by volume.

The product is licensed by D.W. Electrochemicals Ltd. Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada and the local distributors are Wurth Australia Pty Ltd of 4 Redwood Drive, Dingley Vic. 3172.

Now on their website;
    http://www.stabilant.com.au/stabilan...se_online.html

The product (15ml and kit) can be sent to your door at a cost of $100 inclusive of GST and freight to anywhere in Australia.

Intending to give the product a good test on Fuego circuit boards and connections, I went in person as I like to see the type of firm I am dealing with, and of course curious to see what, if any, difference in price may be exploited by removing the need to mail/freight the product.

Imagine my surprise to find that the price was Higher!! rather than lower, precisely $103.64 plus GST bringing it to $114 !!

When I picked myself up from the floor.. queried this and quoted the price on the website, response was that there should not be a price on their website. We tried to access the site there and then but due to technical difficulties could not.

This morning I re-checked the site and it is, as above, so emailed details in to the firm, however I was not too rapt to get a reply indicating a refund of $11 would be made in response!! hmmnn $100 home delivered against $114 over the counter less $11 refund didn’t sound so good so immediately emailed back my feelings!

Advertisement

Apparently the product is very good and from all accounts works well – will keep you updated as the saga unfolds!!

Ken

1000+ Posts

Default Stabilant 22 pricing update

After several emails back and forth, I had a phone call from Steve Ashton the Product Manager of Wurth Australia, he was happy to admit the anomally of the pricing difference and keen to redress my concern. The list price had been increased but not adjusted on the website, an oversight they regret in the circumstances.

Accordingly two things have been achieved, I have been refunded the full $14 and he has agreed in a gesture of support to the advertised price on the website he has given his personal gaurantee to hold that website pricing as is for the rest of 2006!

Steve is quite an enthusiast in the automobile area and an enthusiast in the use of Stabilant 22 to solve connectivity issues over a range of both audio and automotive problem solving and it appears a little goes a long way .

I will report back later as to its effectiveness in solving the "dodgy connection" issues that seem to bedevil our older cars (including the Fuego)

Of course as my wife points out, you guys gain, while I am still out of pocket for driving over and of course the evening meal that it cost me to placate my wife for spending more money on cars!! (nice chinese meal at the Glen shopping centre!!) ah well that is the way the cookie crumbles!!

So if you need it, get it at the advertised internet price before the end of 2006!! (and say thanks ken!!)

Sometimes it pays to have ones say!!

Thanks for posting that. My can of Servisol which gets used for similar issues is all but empty, and I was looking at the Stabilant main site today. I'd noted the price you refer to, and wondered if it may be cheaper OTC!

15ml should go a long way.

Regards, Adam.

1000+ Posts

I've been using the Jaycar el-cheapo contact cleaner stuff...
    Had any experience with it?

All the new connections i do, i make sure i crimp all plugs & solder as well, just to keep the crap out... (so hopefully the oxidation doesnt run up the wires etc)

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    I've been using the Jaycar el-cheapo contact cleaner stuff...
    Had any experience with it?

All the new connections i do, i make sure i crimp all plugs & solder as well, just to keep the crap out... (so hopefully the oxidation doesnt run up the wires etc)
    Yes, the Wurth contact cleaner is much more effective at getting the corrosion off terminals. Jaycar's product seems to be just straight isopropyl alcohol.
    Stabilant is not a cleaner- the terminals must be clean before applying it.
    Very small amounts are needed and the dilution helps here. The kit I bought didn't have the isopropyl with it (something to do with dangerous goods freight) but was somewhat less than $100.
    I've found it good on the R25, I'd be interested to know how it goes on the Fuego.

1000+ Posts

Default Technically not a contact cleaner as such!

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    Yes, the Wurth contact cleaner is much more effective at getting the corrosion off terminals. Jaycar's product seems to be just straight isopropyl alcohol.
    Stabilant is not a cleaner- the terminals must be clean before applying it.
    Very small amounts are needed and the dilution helps here. The kit I bought didn't have the isopropyl with it (something to do with dangerous goods freight) but was somewhat less than $100.
    I've found it good on the R25, I'd be interested to know how it goes on the Fuego.
    Yes, it was after reading much of the technical advice, and that of users on this forum that I decided to buy the stuff, its clearly not just a cleaner, the active coating of the contact surface appears to promote the passage of electricity, its probably not fair to the product just to compare it with contact cleaners which I have used with varying degrees of success in the past. Best to read the technical stuff yourself IMHO.

Farmerdave - I just re-read your post on the Renault forum R19 auto where you mentioned the product - that mention prompted my enquiry.
    Renault 19 warning light
    Thanks.

According to Steve Ashton's description and enthusiastic personal promotion it can produce rather miraculous results and is in use in critical car areas to ensure contacts function at peak performance for the life of the vehicle - If it works half as well on the Fuego circuit connectors I will be well pleased.

Now all I have to do is get off my butt and put the stuff I purchased to good use. I may use it on my sons out of service Fuego as a test bed and I know that Australdi is keen to get an odd electrical gremlin fixed in the rear wiper/windscreen heater of her car.

Of course I'm mindful of the need to keep some for my own car too, even though the electrics on that one all work (touch wood I don't mozz it!!)

Will report back in due course, incidently Steve has given that gaurantee to hold to the Internet order price for 2006 to me in writing, so I am sure the company will honour that undertaking
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 15th February 2006 at 11:29 PM.

Thread Information