ebay UK seller - caveat emptor
  • Register
  • Help

Default ebay UK seller - caveat emptor

Have had an unpleasant experience with a Pug parts seller on ebay UK (PM me if you want the traders name).
    He has a few negatives, but thought I was safe.
    Paid for required insurance which wasn't applied.
    Item purchased described in good condition blah, blah,blah - decidedly not that way.
    Emailed back and forth, the seller gave his excuse as " if you're in business you have overheads ! "
    So caveat emptor, if any seller has negatives it is probably only part of what is really happening.
    Perhaps you have had a good experience with this seller, mine was certainly not.
    No, I didn't leave negative feedback, then it comes to me too. Oh well - c'est la vie.
    Note to Mods. If this thread is inappropriate please remove.

Advertisement
    Last edited by mistareno; 13th February 2006 at 01:19 AM.

Which prompts the question: if your experience was negative, why didn't you leave negative feedback?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Default What goes around...

When you're dealing with scum the backwash often catches you out. If he had left negative feedback then there would have been nothing stopping "ponderlord" doing the same to him and spoiling his 100% positive. I for one am very proud of my ebay 100% positive feedback and wouldn't take the risk. I had dealings with a (I hope now former) member of this forum who could have put me in a silmilar position.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

I HAD 100% feedback...

Sold a bike on eBay, punter came over, looked at it, loved it, and said he would come back in a few days with a trailer to pick it up.

After a week I rang him up and he changed his story, saying the bike was misrepresented and he was pulling out of the sale. I left negative feedback merely saying he was a tyre kicker.

Sure enough, this guy (with no feedback I may add) leaves a negative on me, ruining my rep. His last purchase was a USED bikini from some chick. Tacky...

Does sound like your UK bloke is exploiting eBay buyers too

Dave
    Last edited by mistareno; 13th February 2006 at 01:20 AM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Sure enough... last purchase was a USED bikini from some chick.
    I hope it fits him. The neg F/B consequences are worth considering!
    Last edited by mistareno; 13th February 2006 at 01:21 AM.

Default ebay feedback

Rather than sully my ebay record ( over 200 + ) with the backwash I'd prefer to tell others to be aware that his conduct and description is less than savoury. Also to point out that this particular seller is prepared to decieve buyers by charging for services which are not provided.

Whilst he has only a few - feedbacks, sadly this usually reflects the bigger picture of buyers who may well be unhappy with some aspects of his trading yet also don't want to destroy their perfect record with a negative by a vindictive seller.

There are mechanisms on ebay for reporting this behaviour, however it has been my experience in the past that ebay is more a paper tiger when it comes to unscrupulous sellers.

Hence, far more effective to let others know who might look at pondelords wares and know that he has acted dishonestly and fraudulently and continues to do so.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Which prompts the question: if your experience was negative, why didn't you leave negative feedback?
    for fear of re-percussion. i also have 100% @ 48(and rising!) and would not like some d*#%head ruining it for me. i am weary of anyone with negative feedback and do check why & ask q's b4 bidding/buying. also if i wasnt happy with something i still would opt for neutral feedback rather than neg.
    Puggy.

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower
    for fear of re-percussion. i also have 100% @ 48(and rising!) and would not like some d*#%head ruining it for me. i am weary of anyone with negative feedback and do check why & ask q's b4 bidding/buying. also if i wasnt happy with something i still would opt for neutral feedback rather than neg.
    Puggy.
    As someone who has been stung by one idiot I would ask everyone to look at feedback for what it is. I have had 100 positives and one negative. Surely people should look at the 99 good ones rather than one vindictive tosser's bad one. And eBay does NOTHING when you complain.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Don't get too attached to your feedback rating (or your account name). Once you have a reasonable rating (maybe 20 or 30) start another account and get a few positives on that too. So if someone does give you a vindictive negative you can switch to the clean account. Handy if you want to buy something and then on-sell it, too.

I have noticed lately that many sellers wait until you them them feedback before they leave it for you. That way, if you leave them negative they can reciprocate. Your average honourable seller would rather you talk to them first before leaving them negative feedback. You can't reason with d!ckheads of course, which is why the second account is handy.

Roger
    (no, I'm not an eBay dealer)

Icon7

I've always been of the belief that if you have won an item and have paid for it as a buyer, the seller should then leave feedback as you have honoured your part of the deal. I find increasingly that the seller is waiting for you to leave it first. This is shown in the following extract from an email I got from a seller yesterday:

Thanks for the email. Payments usually show in my account within 1 or 2 working days; as soon as it does I will get the book in the post. I'd be grateful if you could leave feedback to confirm safe receipt and I will of course do the same in return. Thanks again.
    What do you do? I'm after the positive feedback and he's scared of negative.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I've always been of the belief that if you have won an item and have paid for it as a buyer, the seller should then leave feedback as you have honoured your part of the deal. I find increasingly that the seller is waiting for you to leave it first. This is shown in the following extract from an email I got from a seller yesterday:

What do you do? I'm after the positive feedback and he's scared of negative.

Matt.
    I will not leave feedback before i receive it for the simple reason of buyers/sellers getting feedback from me and not returning it (positive or negative)

In the past i had left feedback straight away but i found that people were not leaving feedback for me and i just got sick of it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    I have had 100 positives and one negative. Surely people should look at the 99 good ones rather than one vindictive tosser's bad one.
    Yep I could'nt agree with you more, if you're leaving positive feed back just so you get positive feed back.....well then the feed back rating means nothing!
    So far I've had no problems with any sellers, but if I did, I'd leave a negative, yes I'd probably get a negative in return, because as is mentioned here elsewhere, the seller normally leaves their feed back after you leave yours, which equates to blackmail!
    Come on people, lets grow some balls, leave honest feed back, so that the next punter won't get shafted by a dodgy seller and then the feed back system will mean something!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Agree totally, you've got to leave the feedback appropriate to the situation.

If this means a negative then so be it, but you've got to be honest or the system would become a waste of time.

The users checking the feedback ratings can soon spot the bad guy, and anyway there's the "right of reply" thingy.

Nearly forgot, yes, eBay are a waste of time when it comes to complaining.

Mike.
    Last edited by catshamlet; 14th February 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Thread Information