V8 Utes
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: V8 Utes

Default V8 Utes

Why are all the show pony utes with massive V8 engines only able to carry 450 kg in the back?

A Mighty Boy could carry 350...

Why do tyre places always have a lowered ute packing V8 power, hard wired fog lights, and an idiot behind the wheel?

What is the fascination with these silly impractical cars? You can't (or won't) carry anything in the back, they chew up the juice like, well, a V8, and far too many end up wrapped around trees because the backs are too light, just like their driving skills.

Advertisement

What is the rationale?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

mahhhte!! reeel ozzies drive yoots! plus brink back the biff mate, plus only milk comes in 2 litas and only dum ass can't handle his piss cant handle his yoote. - Chris
    ... ptui!

You don't want too much weight over the back away, if you catch my drift .
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Damn, I forgot the swilling of rum, the NRNR stickers, and the dog in the back doing its best to hang on.
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

They (utes) do one thing well - keep knobs out of driving real classic cars.

Has anyone tried handing out AF stickers at a B&S?

Quote Originally Posted by addo
    Has anyone tried handing out AF stickers at a B&S?
    Theres a D&D ball happening in Melbourne soon I think. Maybe that can be the next Melbourne AF meet. Person the doors and handout AF stickers to everyone going in.

Bring some taste to an otherwise tacky do.

nlq206
    2001 Platinum Silver 206Gti
    2005 Aegean Blue 206Gti180

Default V8 utes

'68,
    A great post,I couldn,t agree more with your comments.It makes me appreciate my old rusted 404 ute even more,it was a real workhorse & ever reliable.
    Greg

Fellow Frogger!

Default Yobbos

Last night the house up the street had the usual loud mouth drunken yobbos yelling and drunken singing with no respect shown for anyone one else.

Winter is taken up with kicking a football it the street and cheering every time the ball hits a parked car. Fortunately usually their own car.

I went out and did a survey of the cars there last night.

Mainly late model well looked after high performance utes and older rougher four wheel drives. MMMMMMMM

This is what gets me they seem to look after the utes but bash foot balls off them and cheer!!!!!!!!!

I guess some breeds of dogs get picked by the wrong owners and similar for vehicles too.

I have difficulty comprehending the gross over powering of some thing so light in the rear end that is/ was really a tradesmans vehicle. Personally and this is my opinion I question moral position of companies who manufacture this type of vehicle.

What next 290 kw people movers?

Graelin

Default Real aussies drive utes .... [see friday403's 71 OUI]

A good ute requires attitude, and a Conargo pub sticker on the back window. If its French, naturally even more desirable ....

The ute thread

Loved that red 203 ute at the QFCD - that's what froggin is about.

friday403

questioning the use of 290kw in something so light in the rear.. ahhhh come on..

Surly a whimper of a childish smile come to your face thinking of channeling all that power to the ground and having a twicth at the rear as you take of and change gears Whats not to like about all that tarmac destroying potential.

maybe im showing my youth

And for the rair occassion that you'll need to toe a cement mixer, move a fridge, 600kg of concrete, you wont be hindered by the extra weight now in cargo when trying to go form point a-b

*Bowie who right now wishes he was in a possion of a 300od HP ute of some descritption so i could take all my belongings the 700od kms they need to go

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

I'm currently weighing up getting an new secondhand vehical for work through my business. For about the same prices I can get a 206GTI180 or a falcon XR6 or XR8 with around 30000km on the clock . Unfortunately due to 450kg carrying "commercial" vehicals being Fringe Benefits Tax exempt the Ford looks the better option from a price perspective. If the government wanted to make cars with a fuel consumption with less than 8l/100km FBT free they could push car sales in a completely different direction. But none of the car manufacturers in Australia produce these kind of vehicals so c'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    I guess some breeds of dogs get picked by the wrong owners and similar for vehicles too.
    Yeah, we passed a ute the other day with no sides on the tray, and the poor old heeler sitting in the middle, with the lead tied up so short it couldn't lower its head, trying to stay put as the d!ckhead owner flung the car through roundabouts

Some people shouldn't be allowed animals.

Chris

PS: Bowie, tarmac tearing? Flicking up some of the smaller bits of loose gravel as we lose traction on 1/4 throttle, more like it
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Default Sanyyong Musso

The Sangyyong Musso is powered by a copy of an old Mercedes engine design which is built in Korea, as is the entire vehicle.

So why do the majority of their owners remove the Sangyyong badges and put Mercedes Benz badges on them?

Who are they fooling? Me? Their neighbours? Other Mercedes owners?

People searching for cheap prestige come across as a little sad to me

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    The Sangyyong Musso is powered by a copy of an old Mercedes engine design which is built in Korea, as is the entire vehicle.

So why do the majority of their owners remove the Sangyyong badges and put Mercedes Benz badges on them?

Dave
    Yep, it's pretty sad. On a similar note, I find that gold plated badges also look very tacky and cheap.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Fellow Frogger!

Dave
    Our company Directors have just got these things. The REXTON

Went out in one as a passenger last week and they wallow changing lanes at 70kph.

Just the thing you need every now and again to let you know why we drive froggies.

Graelin

1000+ Posts

I think the V8 utes are pretty cool. Its power to weight. They have smaller payloads because they carry a lot of ballast also, to try stop people killing themselves.

I'd personally rather a V8 sedan, but horses for courses.

Don't see the point in the stupid generalisations, but to each his own on that front too i guess!
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    I think the V8 utes are pretty cool. Its power to weight. They have smaller payloads because they carry a lot of ballast also, to try stop people killing themselves.

I'd personally rather a V8 sedan, but horses for courses.

Don't see the point in the stupid generalisations, but to each his own on that front too i guess!
    How does that work?

Where is the ballast and can it be removed?

Graelin
    Last edited by Graelin; 14th February 2006 at 01:41 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    Where is the ballast?
    Under the bonnet...

Why are all the show pony utes with massive V8 engines only able to carry 450 kg in the back?

Dave
    I think you answered your own question Dave, they are show ponies!
    The last time I went to the tip a nice XR8 ute came in towing a trailer, the trailer was full of crap, but the tray of the ute had nothing in it and the dude couldn't reverse it!
    I wouldn't mind owning a SS Commodore ute though, I like the looks of them and it would come in handy to carry my 70's Dragsters!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    I They have smaller payloads because they carry a lot of ballast also, to try stop people killing themselves.
    I was wondering if they really wanted to stop people killing themselves could a smaller motor/ less power achieve this?

It may also allow the ballast to be removed and increase the load capacity.

A friend of mine showed me his new 5.7ltr ute a nice green one. I gave him a drive in the Peugeot Gti and he went and traded the ute on a 180!

Graelin

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    I think you answered your own question Dave, they are show ponies!
    The last time I went to the tip a nice XR8 ute came in towing a trailer, the trailer was full of crap, but the tray of the ute had nothing in it and the dude couldn't reverse it!
    I wouldn't mind owning a SS Commodore ute though, I like the looks of them and it would come in handy to carry my 70's Dragsters!
    Mate, with a payload max of 450 kg the only 70s dragsters they could carry would be the Matchbox versions!
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

In most cases V8 utes are sports cars (2 doors) with a big boot. The low load capacity is not because they carry ballast, but because of the wheel & tyre combinations. Like everything they have their purpose - I even know of a couple of people who would buy an RTV (raised) version of the FPV Pursuit if one was made...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by johnh875
    In most cases V8 utes are sports cars (2 doors) with a big boot. The low load capacity is not because they carry ballast, but because of the wheel & tyre combinations. Like everything they have their purpose - I even know of a couple of people who would buy an RTV (raised) version of the FPV Pursuit if one was made...
    Thanks John for clarifying with facts.

Graelin

Cheap prestige is fantastic ...I love my CX!

The V8 ute is for getting chicks, don't you guys know anything?? On the other hand my old Citroen, although extremely sexy, will guarantee that I remain single for a long time!

Andy

This was taken by myself - wear/misfit on a six month old Crewman SS ute. Factory or dealer fitted rims and tyres, too. I don't fancy its chances with a man-sized load.

Cheers, Adam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V8 Utes-crewman_chafing_2a.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information