Franco-Pacific spares
  • Register
  • Help

Default Franco-Pacific spares

As the French are still active in the South Pacific territories, has anyone looked at sourcing Frog parts from New Caledonia etc rather than Pug Oz?

The reason I ask is that they may not have the mark up of the local stuff and an enterprising trader might be able to be located?

Anyone had experience in this area?

Dave

Advertisement
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    As the French are still active in the South Pacific territories, has anyone looked at sourcing Frog parts from New Caledonia etc rather than Pug Oz?

The reason I ask is that they may not have the mark up of the local stuff and an enterprising trader might be able to be located?

Anyone had experience in this area?

Dave
    I'll be following this thread with keen interest.My experience of the french pacific,whilst sailing there on the fairstar in the 90's, was things were not cheap,unles they were made by the locals,in which case they were embarasingly so.Mind you I was mainly looking at home wares and clothe, but I'd gag at some of the prices that were being asked.
    Jo

It's also bordering on a 3rd world economy so you will find they drive their cars until they literally fall apart and even then hold them together with chicken wire (no RWC to worry about) so you'd have to wonder just what would be salavagable off them when they are finally laid to rest.

I don't think mechanical parts are a problem locally they seem to be available from places like Caravelle and Auto France and hydraulic parts can be sourced from Pilaides ... it's the little things like elctro valves for Cmatic's and early black boxes/ electronics that seem to be the chalange. Let's remember that what wears in one car of a certain model usually wears the same way in the others!

There are still a lot of wrecks locally and hoards of bits around and I know that whilst it is logistacally difficult what would be great is for the respective car clubs to become custodians of "unwanted cars" rather than Sims so that the owners could arrange to have them "dropped off" and the clubs could have technical days where members stripped, inspected and catalogued whatever was worth salvaging... great practise for the DIY's Put it on a data base and offered it for sale as a service to members. Some of the larger car clubs in the UK (I know Triumph / Cortina and Hillman) do this.

Noble thought but pretty impractical when it comes to space, facilities, insurance etc...

Still an interesting subject regardless... unfortunately there will come a time in the life of any model or car where it just dies! I read in this months practical classis that of the ONE MILLION Morris Marinas and Itals made in Britain there are less than 800 left registered... that's a lot of land fill or shed fillers

My
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

I little froggie told me(more fitting that the little birdie ) that there is a Fuego running a Safrane 12v head here in Brisbane. I won't say who it is, athough it was sourced from New Calidonia!

(originally posted by JackZ.......of the ONE MILLION Morris Marinas and Itals made in Britain there are less than 800 left registered.) And this surprises you, WHY??? SO there is 800 poor souls amongst us that liked these cars or maybe just hoping they will be worth $$ someday
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 4th February 2006 at 10:30 AM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Z
    Still an interesting subject regardless... unfortunately there will come a time in the life of any model or car where it just dies! I read in this months practical classis that of the ONE MILLION Morris Marinas and Itals made in Britain there are less than 800 left registered... that's a lot of land fill or shed fillers

My
    I wish I could help. Surely between the lot of us we could get rid of the remaining 800 Marinas. What a terrible, terrible car they were, a product of an arrogant yet moribund company!

Surely there would be very few still punting around here in Oz? Probably about as many as the new Mitsubishi 380

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Regional storage is still quite cheap. I have space here in Sydney and if you worked it out per car "shadow" on the floor with walk-around space between, it'd be $55/wk, break-even. By contrast, a friend in Wagga pays less than $100/wk for a whole similar size factory with (by default) almost round-the-clock occupation of the neighboring unit - so it's nice and secure, plus about 20% of my cost.

Cheers, Adam.

Addo....

Does he have room for five GS's???

And yes the Marina was a terrible car... but I'm sure there are people out there that love them just as we do our Froggies

Hmmmon second thoughts...
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

singapore isnt a colony but parts are cheap over there

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    I wish I could help. Surely between the lot of us we could get rid of the remaining 800 Marinas. What a terrible, terrible car they were, a product of an arrogant yet moribund company!

Surely there would be very few still punting around here in Oz? Probably about as many as the new Mitsubishi 380

Dave

I can claim to having a hand in killing one back in '84
    Jo

Alan Sklenars in Hamilton, New Zealand bought a heap of new old stock CitroŽn parts from New Caledonia when CitroŽn pulled out. He is a hard man to get parts from though, you can't ring him up, you have to go there and hassle him. He is not cheap (he has to make a living!) but he does have parts. Last time I was there back in October I came away with a heavy box of DS and XM bits and a wallet $500 lighter. Look up citroen parts in the Waikato phone book.

Roger

1000+ Posts

One of the advantages of buying spares overseas is you don't have to pay GST or import duty on small consignments. Customs just isn't interested. I get 203 parts from NeoRetro France (not cheap and sometimes not the quality you'd expect) but current models would be another matter. For some makes there are large online suppliers of parts that are comparatively cheap.

Thread Information