Sydney Petrol Prices
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Sydney Petrol Prices

Wednesday this week they did the usual 12c jump, from 1.14 to 1.26 by night time. But last night, Thursday, they were back to 1.14. I've never seen the price drop by 12c before.

Advertisement

Anyone else notice this?

Barry.

Subscribe to http://motormouth.com.au and watch the prices daily. Brisbane has its cheapest day on Wednesday. This week there was a 10c jump (on average) on Thursday.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

I bet not all stations went up though, and the ones who did had their bluff called

i paid $1.39 for ultimate in adelaide on friday

ridiculous

Something even more outrageous is that I filled up at 113.9 in Ryde and as i camer back to my car The little guy who served me came out after me and electronically turned the price thing over to 111.9.
    I felt sick in the stomach.
    We need a royal Commission into australian regulatory fuel prices. Its a total joke.

I dont remember the price being below $1.34 in Hobart in recent history.
    No motormouth for tassie.
    Though the Sydney prices look like a wet dream
    Last edited by dpcgti180; 7th February 2006 at 10:29 PM.
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Something even more outrageous is that I filled up at 113.9 in Ryde and as i camer back to my car The little guy who served me came out after me and electronically turned the price thing over to 111.9.
    We need a royal Commission into australian regulatory fuel prices. Its a total joke.
    im sure the price of wheat fluctuates on a daily basis, why does the price of a loaf of bread not go up by 10% on a thursday like it does with petrol?!

fuel price fluctuation is a rort and needs looking at by the federal government

saw nothing below $1.34 for premium? or regular?

i was in hobart the other day, and i saw regular at $1.21... i couldnt imagine premium would be 13c more? either way... its a joke. some random town on the way to hobart thought, i paid 138.9 for premium... how lovely.

today, the prices dropped to 110.9. i better fill up before theres a 15c over night price hike.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    fuel price fluctuation is a rort and needs looking at by the federal government
    Short of price regulation, so that everyone charges the same price wherever one is located, I can't see what the Federal (or any) Government can do.

I don't like paying 140.9 cpl for diesel, either. Especially as it is cheaper to refine than petrol!

Quote Originally Posted by 505604
    I can't see what the Federal (or any) Government can do.
    neither can i, but we (taxpayers) pay them a massive amount of money every year to work this sort of thing out because we dont know how to

I understand there is a system in WA which was explained to me that they are only allowed to change the price once a day, and has the effect of reducing fluctuations

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by johnh875
    I understand there is a system in WA which was explained to me that they are only allowed to change the price once a day, and has the effect of reducing fluctuations
    Yes .. it must be set the previous day at 4pm (I think is the time) and you cannot put it up OR down for the whole of the next day ... yes you'll get fined for putting it down as well.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

Default Spoilt?

What's ridiculous is that petrol is cheaper than bottled water! You guys don't know how good you've got it. These prices are going to seem like a dream pretty soon. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSalvo
    What's ridiculous is that petrol is cheaper than bottled water! You guys don't know how good you've got it. These prices are going to seem like a dream pretty soon. Enjoy it while it lasts!
    Don't forget Australia enjoys some of the cheapest fuel (outside the US) in the world
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

SYD prices are crazy .. got petrol last night at $1.13 ULP ($1.24 Ron98) ... Thursday, normally by end of week it's higher.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I filled last night at Bulimba Shell. 117.5 ULP, 124.5 95, 134.5 Extreme.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Don't forget Australia enjoys some of the cheapest fuel (outside the US) in the world
    Wouldn't that just be a taxation issue? After all the cost of the actual product won't vary hugely.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh875
    Wouldn't that just be a taxation issue? After all the cost of the actual product won't vary hugely.
    Most likely. Anyone know fuel tax rates for other countries?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Icon13 Overpaid young guys with flash cars equals..

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSalvo

OK - got to say it the petrol companies just love you young guys with plenty of money, & premium gas guzzling cars, who just love to make excuses for them while they rip you off - sellers market I say, you get what you deserve or want!!

They know that no one can unravel the hidden pricing structure, and they can afford to employ the best spin doctors who will blame the pricing on everything but their own rapacious desire to profiteer.

And you weak guys help them do it, aided by of course by own own compliant taxpayer funded motoring Federal Treasurer, who lamely says simple fix it by purchasing it from somewhere else - create competition. What BULL! what competition.!!

Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    i paid $1.39 for ultimate in adelaide on friday

ridiculous
    alex, yeah the [email protected] keep shifting the cycle on us. Not that long ago Thursday/Friday was the cheap days. Then a few weeks later Wed/Thurs, and so on.. I went to fill up on Wednesday as per usual and found the cycle is now Mon/Tue.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

rek

All of this was from the first Google hit I got. Not that hard, guys.

Petrol Pricing in Australia: Issues and Trends

If you're having trouble finding "rip-off" Australia, we're fourth from the bottom. That's right, the fourth lowest petrol price of OECD countries, and one of, if not THE the lowest pre-tax petrol prices. Doesn't look so bad.

And just for you, Ken

Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

1000+ Posts

Default Spin doctoring I say

Statistics, pie charts, mean absolutely nothing Rek!

Cast them any way you like - whats the actual imported versus the local and I suppose that you can add an Iraq "trucking cost or two" if it suits!!

Everyday Pump price for ulp should be no more than 107.5 and that would give a nice profit then add 2 cents for premium and I'll be generous 3 cents for 98!!

There is lies, damn lies and statistics!! go nicely together - the facts man - we pay their price concealed in 10 cent increments when it suits them!! like the 2 week high price "discount" cycles!!

rek

Statistics, pie charts, mean absolutely nothing Rek!

Cast them any way you like - whats the actual imported versus the local and I suppose that you can add an Iraq "trucking cost or two" if it suits!!
    I'm not really sure what you're asking for here; 'raw' local oil prices? No such thing, the various crude oil blends are commodities and valued based on international markets; most if not all the oil-based energy we use here is bought and sold based on the Singapore market price.

I have this weird feeling that you're about to suggest that we (as a country) isolate ourselves from the commodity markets and have an exclusive domestic oil market; something to ensure that "our" oil remains "ours". It would take government intervention to set up a market devoted to national interest like this, private companies would have none of it.

So let's say we let the government meddle in oil matters. Even if we had more oil than we could use (which we don't), it's not really a great idea if a reduced petrol price is what you're after. Take a look at that first graph; which oil-producing countries do you think have protectionist oil markets, in one shape or form? Norway and Mexico, the two that suffer the highest pre-tax petrol prices.

Why is this so? If it's state-regulated, why aren't they subsidising the fuel? Governments (acting in the national interest) tend to value the preservation and responsible use of their natural resources, rather than pissing them away by making them artificially cheap.

Everyday Pump price for ulp should be no more than 107.5 and that would give a nice profit then add 2 cents for premium and I'll be generous 3 cents for 98!!
    What do you base this on? Do you have some inside info about the costs involved in energy exploration, research, refining, and retail marketing processes the rest of us don't?
    Last edited by rek; 11th February 2006 at 04:50 AM.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Daniel,

I don't want to sound too harsh (though maybe that would help?) but assuming you bought 40 litres of fuel, you made yourself feel sick in the stomach over 80 cents. Is it that outrageous?

I feel there maybe more important things to feel sick about (and perhaps prompt one into action), despite other people beating this issue up.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Icon4 Oh we can't??

I suppose its all right for other countries to make fuel available locally at a lower price than the international bunkum price - Indonesia for one and others to stockpile local oil, China, USA,but cringe, cringe not us!!

And every time a gust of wind or rumour hits, use that excuse to whack up prices to your domestic consumers immediately.

Now the USA, domestic fuel prices fell back to Pre Katrina prices very quickly after the storms and as soon as political pressure groups started to take a long hard look at the whole Oil Industry "charade", But here,??

Of course our artificial pricing that went up at the first hint "whiff" of trouble stayed up for far longer, with our local oil "cartel" desperately wanting something, so they could avoid lowering the price and eroding a nice profit bubble (exactly like occurred in the US but over a longer period!!)

So then our appologist profiteers seized on the hint of trouble with Iran (who by the way is trying to desperately restrict oil prices as they claim oversupply and stockpiling among other things is creating an oil glut which will drop the bottom out of the world oil market price!!)

All the time our profiteers not only gouge our local market with inflated prices, they sell our nations best oil overseas. Gee no fuel or oil bought at inflated prices, but everything jacked up for profit both ways - long live profits (while they can)

Yeah I advocate that Australia start building up strategic reserves of local production and, at least then, these rapacious oil barons would import "some" high priced oil for refining and that would justify a higher pump price, but lower profits for them?? - we would have a buffer to World pricing "whiff" rumours and maybe a stable price as there is no justification for this so called discount cycle.

While mugs will buy high priced (profit loaded) fuel and governments do nothing about it, the so called magic discount cycle gives you the feeling that you are gaining something - thimble and pea trick.

I don't mind paying genuine higher prices, but I am dammned if I will contribute blindly to their profiteering while listening to them bleat that they are doing us a favour by pulling the wool over our eyes.

The internet has been a blessing to the oil companies and their spin doctors, as they can flood out masses of bumpff, while concealing the underlying real cost and marketing structure, and they even use helpful marketing price monitoring and floor pricing (discounts??) to control the retail market price, they are "so concerned!!" what [email protected]@p!!

About the only thing we motorists can do is rely on discount dockets to maximise our relief if we are lucky enought to "pick" the bull discount cycle, and even then Shell are one or two cents higher than the other non discount docket outlets on the "lowest days" so your 4 cents discount falls to a two cent discount And if you sadly bought that docket by buying higher priced groceries, you save nothing.!!

Fortunately I have a canny wife who shops well and friends who don't use their dockets and this helps exploit an advantage and I have no blind loyalty to any one brand or chain of grocery stores.

The day to day fuel price effects everyone in this country, prices go up on basic items to compensate, but will never fall, so its vital, to keep the pressure on Governments and fuel companies as, in case you don't know it, there are people that really suffer like volunteers and carers that aren't on magnificent gravy trains and in the end their patients and the poor.

So I don't really care about pie charts and oil company propaganda, I do care about the part of the pie that feeds our less than comfortable strugglers and volunteers in our community.

If you don't like paying high fuel prices and would like transparency in domestic fuel pricing use your marketing power wisely, cast your votes carefully, and owe allegiance or loyalty only where it will do the most good for all, including the motorist!.

Speak to your local member, support your fellow motorist!!
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 11th February 2006 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information