Hybrid diesel unveiled
  • Register
  • Help

Default Hybrid diesel unveiled

Fresh off the press, this is probably the best site I've found about the release showing good pictures and the blurb which I've copied here. It's very exciting to see Citroen and Peugeot looking one step ahead and also researching fuel cells.

From Autoblog:http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/31/p...id-technology/

PSA Peugeot Citroen unveiled Tuesday two prototype cars featuring its new diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, the Peugeot 307 and the Citroen C4 Hybride HDi. (That's the Citroen C4 above.)

The cars achieve 25 percent better fuel economy than a comparable gasoline-eletric hybrid - 3.4 liters of diesel fuel per 100 km (roughly 69 mpg combined city/highway).

Details and pictures after the jump...The Hybride HDi system includes a 1.6-liter HDi diesel engine, a diesel particulate filter system, a "Stop & Start" system, electric motor, inverter, high-voltage battery pack and motor control electronics. The Stop & Start system allows the vehicles to start and drive if the batteries are flat, using only the diesel engine.

The prototypes also feature regenerative braking, an all-electric mode (good for 50 kph), and an Extended ZEV (zero-emissions vehicle) mode in which electric power is used by default when battery levels permit.

On the highway, the electric motor is available for a 35 percent power boost for extra acceleration.

The company says its Hybride HDi vehicles could hit dealers as soon as 2010, if the price gap between the hybrid and standard diesel models can be brought down to an acceptable level. Major cost drivers are the high-voltage batteries, the electric motor/generator, the inverter and the regenerative braking system.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hybrid diesel unveiled-c4-diesel-hybrid.jpg  
    Last edited by Andy N; 2nd February 2006 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Add image

An even better resource of information about the C4/307 diesel hybrid is found here:
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...ugeot_cit.html

Bet we don't see it in OZ.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Bet we don't see it in OZ.
    Ah! Awaken the optimist in me Simon!
    I bet we do get both diesel hybrids in fact I'm certain of it.
    A perfect example of this change is in Nationalist Lismore of all places where the local Peugeot dealer has been selling a 307 diesel every day since they got them in and what's more.... a whole heap of stinking Landcruisers are being traded in at the same time.
    A revolution takes time to set in and I believe that 4 years is plenty of time for us stubborn Aussies to change our attitudes to fuel consumption especially if fuel goes to $3/L and the sea level rises another metre or two. So there you have it whip that pessimistic attitude into line and you may even see me running around in a biodiesel frenchy before you know it.
    Vive la difference a la Pallas fantastique!
    Andy.

And a great looking enviro friendly car it is too. Honda and Toyota offerings would make you walk rather than drive.
    Having seen both Top and 5th Gear rip the guts out of the Prius in relation to it's lack of real fuel savings, the C4 with 35% savings over the petrol hybrid should win more friends!
    How much difference is the deisel/petrol price in the EU these days?
    With the amount increase we pay for diesel here is it going to be as economically viable for us??
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default Diesel now less advantageous

Here in Sweden the gumnuts have had a downer on diesels for years and have extra road taxes on vehicles, upto 5 times more than for a petrol car. They were forced to change that a little with the introduction of the PSA particle filter and the fact that diesels now were less polluting than petrol cars. However, during the past two years they have consistently increased the tax on the fuel itself so it is roughly on par with petrol, about $2.30 a litre. In response to the need to reform the road tax system the gumnuts gave air to the idea of reducing the road tax on new (particle filtered) diesels and of course sales went up greatly. However, as I have always said no-one should trust a gumnut; yesterday I read that the diesel car tax has been lifted out of the proposal that will be presented for voting in parliament and it is expected that diesels will still be paying three to five times more than petrol vehicles when that now seperate proposal will be presented.
    In other parts of Europe i believe that diesel fuel prices have been going up relatively as well, but not to the same extent as here. Most other European countries have had far more enlightened view of the diesel vehicle as far as the consumer is concerned, however this enlightened view earlier might possibly not have been good for the enviroment.
    Phil with of it.

Default Nothing new

Diesel-electrics have been around for a hell of a long time! Locomotives of this type were highly successful and hauled millions of tonnes of freight and countless passengers around the world. I've asked the question many times before, "Why petrol-electric hybrids when diesels are so far ahead on fuel consumption?" The answer is that petrol engines are cheaper to produce!
    The major stumbling block for hybrids is the mass, disposability and cost of the batteries. Whether petrol or diesel this will always be a negative.
    Filldebin....I would suggest that your government is protecting Volvo and Saab both of whom market mainly petrol engined passenger vehicles (Volvo get their diesel engines from VAG!)
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N
    I bet we do get both diesel hybrids in fact I'm certain of it.
    A perfect example of this change is in Nationalist Lismore of all places where the local Peugeot dealer has been selling a 307 diesel every day since they got them in and what's more.... a whole heap of stinking Landcruisers are being traded in at the same time.
    True Coles sell a lot of diesels but the price of petrol (remember Pugs need Premium) is almost the same as diesel in the country.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by tassiediesel
    I would suggest that your government is protecting Volvo and Saab both of whom market mainly petrol engined passenger vehicles (Volvo get their diesel engines from VAG!)
    And who owns Volvo and SAAB? Ford and GM who are already in both enough ka ka to sink three ships! Sounds like some pretty high level lobbying has gone on in Stockholm.

That cars like C3 1.4HDi are already more enviro friendly than a Prius yet ToyBloata has convinced the buyers that their cars are the answer, only shows the power of marketing. Bet there will be screams of anguish in a few years when Aus buyers who are paying over $40k for a Prius have to replace the battery packs - and probably pay for the disposal of the old ones

Mrs UFO works for the NSW Fire Brigades. The firies (she is not one) had to develop and implement special procedures for fighting fires in hybrid vehicles as the batteries may explode in a fire. Apparently the best thing is for someone to open the boot, access some massive fuse/connector doovy and reef it out. Then try to keep the battery packs cool - probably with a good blast of CO2. Not like a non hybrid vehicle where ya just stand back and hit it with the bludy hose mate!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    True Coles sell a lot of diesels but the price of petrol (remember Pugs need Premium) is almost the same as diesel in the country.
    Hi Simon
    What you say is absolutely true and that is perhaps why people are trading in their 4WD's which use more than twice as much diesel as the Pug 307. At less than 5L per 100km for the current turbodiesel 307 and C4 along with a 60L fuel tank it would easily take you from Brisbane to Sydney and further without having to stop for fuel(Brisbane to Sydney 989km, Range 1200km for 307/C4 diesel).
    Landcruisers go far but they also have massive tanks. If your comparing petrol cars, the 206 does around 7L per 100km doesn't it? So an extra 20L for a 1000km trip in the 206 is perhaps where the cost savings are in favour of the diesel.
    When the diesel is combined with a hybrid at 3.4L per 100km the car will use half the fuel of the 206 petrol.
    Using biodiesel which could be made locally supporting small economies at $0.60/L (this includes $0.38/L Govt. excise) it would cost $20 from Brisbane to Sydney for the hybrid diesel 307/C4.
    In current prices it should cost over $90 for the 206 (PULP $1.35/L) to do the same trip.
    But if PULP is $2.00/L by 2010, a very conservative increase of 50% over 4 years, your trip will cost you almost $140.
    Whack 50% on Biodiesel to be 'fair', so $0.90/L but it will still cost less than $35 for the trip.
    I have probably lost you and some of these figures are modest guesses but whatever way you show it, diesel hybrid engines running on very small amounts of biodiesel could very well have a positive roll to play in the future
    of car travel in Australia.

The reason I'm so excited about Diesel engines is therefore more about the next step before things like fuel cells are put into production.
    Didn't Rudolf Diesel develop the engine in the first place to run on peanut oil?
    I have read that the quality of diesel here is very poor and countries such as India have better quality diesel. My copy of the 1999 Guinness Book of Records states that the most carcinogenic compound discovered so far is found in Diesel exhaust fumes.
    Whenever I'm stuck behind a Landcruiser belching a dirty cloud of exhaust smoke I pull over or overtake as soon as possible. My lungs aren't a particulate filter.

Of course I must add that my CX probably uses a lot more premium unleaded than your 206 so the cost of me travelling to Sydney in 2010 in the CX is a lttle scary.

Cheers, Andy

Thread Information