Missed call phone scam.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon13 Missed call phone scam.

Yet another way of trying to scam your hard earned $$$

If your mobile phone shows a missed call from 03-95405101
    DO NOT call it back. If you do you will be told that "you are already a winner etc" (This was where I hung up) you will then be invited to call an expen$ive premium 1900 type number to confirm your prize.

Telstra advised me that they are aware of the practice, complaints about this one started on Friday 27 Jan. they consider that it is not illegal (just bloody annoying) and they have spoken to the company who claim they "only call once"
    I understand nothing is being done to stop this crap at the moment so my advice is to IGNORE this number. 03-95405101
    You can bet your last $ that more companies will follow on if this one is successful

Anybody know how to get onto the donít call list? Damn marketers!!!!!

Sorry this post is not about French motoring, just something that could affect us all in time. Rant over, feel better now.

Advertisement
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

I know people who will get caught with this type of thing!!
    A few people I know religously call un-recognised missed calls on their mobile. I can't begin to understand why? If they want me they will call back or leave a message or as a last resort may-be send an sms.
    Personally I never call an un-recognised number back if I miss it.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

This is getting ridiculous. I haven't had this happen to me yet but if it does I will write straight to the local Minister. If enough people do this and it becomes political, hopefully commonsense will prevail.

These kind of acts really are a breach of privacy and common decency.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Happened to me. But this is 2 months ago now. I have quite a few clients who have my number, so its reasonable to call back as it may be something urgent. No more annoying than the incessant calls of an evening offering this that or the other. I managed to keep one fellow from an overseas call centre on the phone for 15 minutes the other night after he offered me a free holiday. After grilling him over and over, I indicated my conclusion was not to attend the information session and apologised for wasting his time.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    A few people I know religously call un-recognised missed calls on their mobile. I can't begin to understand why? If they want me they will call back or leave a message or as a last resort may-be send an sms.
    Personally I never call an un-recognised number back if I miss it.
    Absolutely agree Chris. I'll see your and raise you two more I also seem to get an awful lot of blocked numbers (ie caller id is hidden) - if they want me, leave a message so I know who you are and what you want cause it ain't like I can phone you back now is it ...

I also cannot comprehend folks who just HAVE TO answer the phone no matter what .... let it go to message bank if you're busy, that's what it's for.

2005 Renaultsport Mťgane Turbo 225 LX

i had the same thing from an 02 number today
    05 Peugeot 307

Past pugs
    93 Peugeot 405 STi
    89 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    82 Peugeot 505 GR

1000+ Posts

We got this exact call on our home phone the other day, no number came up on the caller id.

I never ring unrecognised numbers on my mobile. Could be highly embarressing aside from anything else.

Tadpole

Try this: http://www.adma.com.au/asp/index.asp
    It's the website of the Australian Direct Marketing Association.
    Go to consumer help and use their "do not call" service. It'll only stop legitimate members of this association, but it will reduce the number of annoying calls.
    The downside is it doesn't work forever, about six months I think, so you'll have to go back and do it all again, but it's a small price to pay.
    '92 205 GTi White

Thank you John D,
    The adma.com Iíll give it a go.

When my phone was called, they called just long enough for the call to register, although the phone did not ring, it just gave a pre ring beep, had they called for 2 seconds longer I would have answered it costing the scammers a call, nor did they call for long enough to have the SMS notice of a missed call message generated.

I only called back because I have a family member who is always broke and they will "crank" call (from all sorts of numbers) to get my attention for me to call them, only this time it was the marketers.

Yes I realise this seems a bit hypercritical using quick calls from family; the difference is I want to talk to them. being caught by the marketers now and again is the price I pay I suppose. Thanks again John.
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Unfortunately this site is does not cover all telemarketers. Im sure the bodgey ones will still send you stuff.

Another phone scam is the one where they text you asking how your goin etc pretending to be your friend. Of course you reply and they start charging you for texts sent to and received from them.

Thread Information