Working with perspex
  • Register
  • Help

Default Working with perspex

Hey guys,

Any froggies have experience working with perspex?

I have some clear stuff, I wanted to have a go at reproducing a headlight cover for the Fuego.

It will require mainly bending, which I am not sure of.

Advertisement

What would be the best way to heat where you want a fold in the plastic?

David.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Alan smith has made these before ... I'm sure he'll reply given time.

Do a search of the forum and you may find where he described the process.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Eagerly await his reply.

I was sent this too, thanks. You know who you are!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=18&t=3864

If I am successful, I'd be happy to put up a Tutorial, and maybe get together a bunch of stencils for different cars.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Eagerly await his reply.

I was sent this too, thanks. You know who you are!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=18&t=3864

If I am successful, I'd be happy to put up a Tutorial, and maybe get together a bunch of stencils for different cars.

David.
    gentle heat is the thing required to work perspex. the heat from a blow dryer wont do, but a heat gun will be fine,or a gas torch if you are gentle and dont set it on fire.Have yourself some mandrels to bend it around, as this will produce a profesional resault eg, ceramic sewer pipe with paper attatched to it, galv water pipe, or anything that looks like its the right profile,If you are going to all this trouble, give perspex a miss though, because it will quickly crack when you put any amount of force onto it when screwing it up cold,and a stone may ruin the whole thing.I'll chose pollycarbonate anyday, as it is buletproof,literally.I have an old pride miami speed boat, and after about 6 hours of work bending and shaping the screen, had it crack whilst doing up the last bolt.It was very satisfying punching my fist through the remains,something I would not advise you do with polycarbonate.The difference in the sound of the boat over waves between the two products was amazind too.
    Poly carbonate is much more expensive, but if you search around fabricating shops, you might even be able to find a bin full of scraps that you can practice with, until you are skilled enough to try it on the real piece..To drill anything with a nice finish, including your duco, put down a piece of masking tape first, as this will stop the drill wandering around your nice finish.Use a brand new drill with no bend in it as this will help, or use a press.
    When cutting the stuff, hand tools are better than electric ones,as the heat generated from an electric jig-saw will sometimes re amalgamate the cut and you are back where you started from,just messier.you could probably try cooling it as you go with water, but water and electric tools dont mix well.At least use slow speed on your electric tool.Sand your messy edge with sandpaper, and resist the urge to peel of the paper backing until the very last moment in the fabrication procces.
    Good luck,Jo
    Good luck,jo

we, me and dad, once made a set of head light covers for dads car (falcon).....

we traced a profile of the head lights and cut out a bit of wood, making the hole over sized a smidge, to allow for the thickness of the perspex (or in this case we used lexen)..

then we simply put the two sheets (1' square) in the oven (waited till mum went out, otherwise we'd have gotten in deep $#!+ ) until they got all floppy, then simply laid them on the pieces of wood and pushed the headlights through the hole, then wet it down with water to cool it off.

then we simply pulled the lights out of the hole and the lexen dropped out, we trimed down the skirt of lexen around the edge and left little tabs in the right spots to screw the covers onto the body....

we ended up with a perfect replica of the shape of the head light glass.....and a much stronger protecter then the commercially available plastic ones.

Icon6

G'day,
    I agree with the two previous replies. Prespex is a cow to work with. If not done absolutely the right way, it will end up with stress fractures. When I wanted a new screen for the bike, I made a paper stencil of the old one, altered it to what I wanted and took it to the local glass [ & plastic ] shop. Result :- no stress for me or the screen and a lot cheaper [and easier] than buying an original, or trying to make one myself.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Well I have a spare sheet of clear perspex here that matches perfectly the thickness of a Fuego headlight cover. No paper or plastic on it tho, as it was probably taken off years ago. These are all offcuts you see.

I have a little to play with / stuff up, infact I should be able to make a bunch of them if I can get it right.

pug206gti, I found it difficult to read your reply as your avitar is a bit distracting.

David.

Icon6

pug206gti, I found it difficult to read your reply as your avitar is a bit distracting.

David.
    Mmmm. Would like me to decrease or increase the view ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Well I have a spare sheet of clear perspex here that matches perfectly the thickness of a Fuego headlight cover. No paper or plastic on it tho, as it was probably taken off years ago. These are all offcuts you see.

I have a little to play with / stuff up, infact I should be able to make a bunch of them if I can get it right.

David.
    what reply, where???
    Just a note on the backing paper.When the product goes old, the paper sticks to the product like a canary to your windscreen, so make sure that you get fresh stock, as the temptation is to get out a thiner based product to get the glue off with, and you will get millions of hair-line stress fractures in the product.Discovered this paper thingy on my mates yacht when I re-did his windows.Three of the four came off fine, but the forth was a real bugger to get off, and I found the best thing was spit and my fingertips.
    Back in the good old bad old days of open reel recording, I'd put isoprople alcohol on the cassette covers of people I didn't like and 1 drop of the stuff would turn a new cover into crap. would work on most acrylics
    Jo

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    what reply, where???

Back in the good old bad old days of open reel recording, I'd put isoprople alcohol on the cassette covers of people I didn't like and 1 drop of the stuff would turn a new cover into crap. would work on most acrylics
    Jo

Isocol
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti
    Mmmm. Would like me to decrease or increase the view ?
    Umm, I would like you to increase the view, but as we are a family site, it will probably be censored

Feel free to PM it to me tho

David.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Now here's a handy subject at the right time.

So where do I buy this stuff ... I need two peices (I think there flat) to replace these badly crazed windows in this spoiler:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Are they supposed to be clear?

I can supply you some if so.

I would however like to know where I can buy it.

David.

Look in the Yellow Pages. Try searching under perspex or acrylic sheet. It's not desperately cheap and most is asian imported. Suppliers of this will usually have polycarb as well.

BTW, you can wetsand and polish acrylics pretty nicely with the right compounds. A stationary buff with really soft wheel and Menzerna brand clay bars works, otherwise by hand with Novus compounds (three grades). Many acrylic sheet suppliers carry the Novus polishes. Take care not to overheat when buffing as it has a degree of "memory" from being flat...

That avatar in question looks just like a client's wife - who lives barely 5 mins from where Mr 206gti says he is... Conspiracy?

Cheers, Adam.

p.s. Forgot to add that with appropriate additives you can lay 2-pack or acrylic paint onto perspex.

1000+ Posts

Hey guys,

Any froggies have experience working with perspex?

I have some clear stuff, I wanted to have a go at reproducing a headlight cover for the Fuego.

It will require mainly bending, which I am not sure of.

What would be the best way to heat where you want a fold in the plastic?

David.
    Why bothert? Get some stuff from autobarn that sticks to the headlights and protects them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Why bothert? Get some stuff from autobarn that sticks to the headlights and protects them.
    Nah, I would like to make it match the original Renault lense cover.

If it works out, I'll get some RENAULT stickers and pinstriping made up to finish them off.

However I'll probably take your advice for my other cars.

Cheers,

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 29th January 2006 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Now here's a handy subject at the right time.

So where do I buy this stuff ... I need two peices (I think there flat) to replace these badly crazed windows in this spoiler:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS your dog is a show pony Shane! trying to get into shot... smiling!

Default poly forming

Ive been making headlight covers for Lucas lights and the H4 for the BMW bike by using a vacuum former. Takes abit to make the buck but then I teach wood turning too so one leads to the other.
    If as suggested earlier you can make the shape required, check with your local glazier or "cut to size " plastec supplier to see who is making sign or working with perspex to see who has a vacuum former that they might run your buck through.
    The temp is a bit critical as too much and the sheet goes cloudy..

Bon chance

Thread Information