Damaged while parked
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Damaged while parked

I really need to vent some frustration and anger. Do other people find, that after several years their car collects scratches and dints, yet none were of your own doing?

Last week it was a 4WD opening a door into mine. Today I come back to find my mirror folded forwards. It seems like EVERYTIME I park somewhere, someone manages to touch my car one way or another. Both my mirrors need a respray, and I've NEVER hit anything myself with them, and usually I fold them in when there's any risk. Yet still.... arrrrgggghhh.

Personally I always make sure my door doesn't touch another car when I open it - if it's tight, I keep my fingers in between to be sure. Isn't that common courtesy??? Fine that some people drive washing machines on wheels and don't care, but don't they realise that some other individuals DO care about the appearance of their vehicle?

It's come to the point where I'm going to have to buy a Toyota Camry (old style) for every day use, and the Peugeot will only be taken out for drives - never to be parked anywhere other than in my own garage.

It really has gone beyond being a joke.

Advertisement

Patrick
    605SVE

I have two dents that need repair work.

One at the front of the front right wheel arch and another above the left stop light.

I didnt do them. They were there when I came back to my car after being at work.

Really pisses me off.

If it wasnt for these two dents my cars body work would be in excellent condition..

It is one of my major fears about parking my RSM 225 Cup anywhere but my garage.

One time I was in a shopping centre car park, (didn't own the Cup then but it doesn't matter because I have always treated my cars (and anyone elses) with the utmost care). I wa returning to my car and a family in a fairly worn out Volvo wagon had just pulled into the space next to my car. I stood at the rear of my car to let the family alight from their car before getting into mine. The wife, who was driving, just opened her door straight onto mine. At the top of my voice, I said, "Show a bit of respect will you". The woman just looked at me and giggled rather nervously. The husband pipes up and asks "What's the matter?". Woman, rather embrassingly, replies, "Nothing. Everything's alright." They quickly were on their way into the shopping centre.

Too late damage done.

I share your annoyance. Yes, people should use their fingers/hands to create a buffer between the doors.

Common courtesy? A long lost art, I'm afraid.

Same here! None of the marks on the Pug were caused by me. Some are totally inexplicable.

As with Patrick, I'm always careful how I open my doors. Obviously other people just don't care. They might start to care if they were caught in the act and were presented with a $1,500 repair bill for panelwork and painting.

That's why the Cit never goes anywhere unless its going to be in view the whole time.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Nice to know it is not just me who gets irate about such bad manners. I have to say that here in Tas it seems (to me at least) to happen all too often. It's concern for most of us who own an interesting car of some description, and a bit of a catch 22. You like using the vehicle, but you don't want someone else to trash it..

For what it is worth I use the DS most days and will take it to the shops if I have to. I have accepted that parking at the end of the car park, as far away as possible from other vehicles is the price I have to pay for driving a classic every day... Whenever possible, I will select a park at the extreme end of a row too, and when parking I will snug the car wheels in as close as possible to the appropriate kerb. It makes extricating the car from the space a pain, as it's naturally difficult to apply much lock initially on reversing out, but it will give you that extra foot or so buffer in the event that someone parks adjacent, and sometimes this makes all the difference... Never,ever park near a trolley return either, as you're inviting damage in my own experience. Driving a DS I also have an extra advantage in that I can assess the height of the doors on the car next to me, and raise or lower the Cit if desirable... I also avoid 4wds like the plague that they are.

Nothing is going to help if that Hummer driver slams their door into your car while you're at Woolies, but it is all about percentages and so far it seems to be working for me!
    Best of luck,

I just hate it, I try to take care of my car but others dont give a stuff about hitting them.

I find just as bad in our carpark at work people sit cases or folders on your car while they fondle around for keys or what ever and the drag the items back off your car scratching it up.....the boot on my work magna is awful where it's been done by people at work....no care.

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I am always conscious of where I park.
    I try to avoid parking next to 4wds, bomby looking piles of crap whose owner obviously doesnt care, and people movers as kids dont care about adjacent cars.
    I usually reverse into the side by side parking bays and if I can park next to a wall or pillar that usually gives extra clearance.

My old Renault 12 was bought as a second car, a cheapy, bit tatty but was still nice to drive and a great car to take to shopping centre car parks. So you can still have a fench car as a second car (my preference to a camry).
    It was superb. My three kids learnt to drive in it, and as it was a wagon it was good for picking up anything, and for being able to toss my bike in the back without having to dismantle it. dead simple to work on and economical.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Brett R
    I have accepted that parking at the end of the car park, as far away as possible from other vehicles
    Yeah, but don't you hate it when you do this and you come out that someone has come and parked right next to you!!!!! Even though there are plenty of spaces around you. AAARRRRGH!! Some people just don't get it
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

I think the issue here is exactly what I experience every day when working in the Bellevue Hill area.

People just can't park straight. They must have had issues in Kindergarten, colouring in. Because they can't seem to stay within the Freakin' lines.

</vent>
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

I've got a problem with cats (I can only guess) scratching my bonnet. Lots of fine criss-cross scratches . It's a replacement bonnet that isn't the exact colour and I've been putting off re-spraying it. (and just as well!)

My girlfriend rolled her 121 into the front of my car the other day (forgot the handbrake). This was after telling her to park in front of me so some other knob doesnt back into me. I cant win

I think other people can sense fussy car owners and make the extra effort to find one to park near

Quote Originally Posted by lucin
    Yeah, but don't you hate it when you do this and you come out that someone has come and parked right next to you!!!!! Even though there are plenty of spaces around you. AAARRRRGH!! Some people just don't get it
    You got that right!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    I am always conscious of where I park.
    I try to avoid parking next to 4wds, bomby looking piles of crap whose owner obviously doesnt care, and people movers as kids dont care about adjacent cars.
    I usually reverse into the side by side parking bays and if I can park next to a wall or pillar that usually gives extra clearance. ...
    call it paranoia but im the same. i know my pug aint the best but i dont need/want any extra unwanted modifications.
    Puggy.

Hello Guys,
    Shopping centre car parks are, need I remind you, places where your treasured French car will get scratched/dented/damaged no matter what you do - it is a certainty given enough time. If you can't accept this, then either don't go there or take an oldie where another scratch/dent wouldn't be noticed - or maybe take a tank & give others the grief!
    Many people are ignorant/stupid or downright nasty & careless & really couldn't give stuff about your treasured auto - they seldom care about their own either!
    There's no fix for this common experience - so maybe if you have a new or perfectly restored Pug, Cit or Renault - avoid close parking (shopping centres, multilevel car parks etc) like the plague! Only then hope your pride & joy survives the inumerable other daily hazards of modern motoring!
    Some thoughts
    John505

Thats just how some people are, they dont care about their own car and couldnt give a sh*t about yours. Its sad but true. Fu**ing people.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

i try to park next to expensive cars. and hope they have not left by the time you get back.

someone with a nice BMW is less likely to open their door on you than Johnny Bogan in his beaten up commodore
    05 Peugeot 307

Past pugs
    93 Peugeot 405 STi
    89 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    82 Peugeot 505 GR

Quote Originally Posted by 405STi
    i try to park next to expensive cars. and hope they have not left by the time you get back.

someone with a nice BMW is less likely to open their door on you than Johnny Bogan in his beaten up commodore
    If you get a cheap fuego, you too can be johnny bogan and scare expensive euro drivers with your big doors
    You guys have articulated one of the many reasons I wont own a $30k car.If I paid 30k for something,anything,I certainly would not be puting it on a road and risk parking it next to johnny.
    jo

1000+ Posts

It's all relative. If the individual you park next to LOVES his car, paid $2K for it which is his life savings, you can bet you are pretty safe. Yet park next to an ML55 in Mosman, donated by some tax dodge to a certain non-working part of the demographic, and you could well be in trouble.

In the past two weeks ALL damage has occurred in Mosman.
    Twice my mirrors have been hit by valet parkers in the CBD (not ever doing that again).
    My bumpers are picking up marks and I've never hit anything myself.

Patrick

I drive a Fuego with its big doors and I'm a fairly large bloke and I'll admit I'm one of those blokes that regularly put marks on cars, but never by accident. If I've parked my car properly in the middle of my parking space and come back from the shops and find some lazy #&*@ has parked half in my space making it all but impossible for me to get in my car then I don't care if it's worth $50 or $50 000 or whether the owner is there or not I'll make an extra half inch space by rearranging their panel work. Any other time I'm extremely careful and always make sure the kids are too. But thats just me.

Paul

Australia Day, i was at the golf course having a hit, got back to the car and some moron has gone and swiped the back right of my car. But what really annoyed me was the fact that there were about 200 spare spots in the parking lot, many alot closer than mine, and this idiot still decided to park next to me, and then driven off and parked somewhere else after they realised what they had done. Gives you the absolute shits sometimes.

Although what i find really scarey is that there are people driving around that can't steer a car properly at parking lot speeds so what the hell happens when they are on narrow country roads?

Cheers

Alex
    Now: No Frogs at the moment
    Before:1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16
    Dream Car: TVR Sagaris, in Iced Titanium thank you!

I cringe every time I park at a shopping centre, but in the end, my car is a relatively common 306 and a daily driver, so a flawless exterior is an impossibility. On the other hand, If it were a classic or something rare, I wouldnt go near Valet parking/Shopping centres. too risky.

It really does piss you off though. All damage done to my car is someone elses fault. Yet in my old corrola, not a single mark. It was an '89 model with zero scratches, no dents and no paint fade (just appaling dynamics)...you cant win

Tadpole

Default Moron drivers

My pet peeve is when i pull into an empty carpark with over a thousand spare parks. So some moron comes and parks right next to me, leaving me no room to open my door so i have to climb in through the passengers side.

Also i was lucky enough to park my car out the front of my own house after a night at work. Just as i'm closing the front door some drunk driver was taking the back streets and slams into the back of my car causing $3000 damage. Car was a right off. Oh yeah he drove off, never to be seen again.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Old Caulfield driver Syndrome!

Years ago Caulfield was notorious for cars getting dents and scrapes, I had some friends that lived in the area and they just accepted it as normal, their cars were a mass of nicks, dents, scrapes from one end to the other.

The only thing that got them upset was missing and broken side mirrors that had to be replaced.

The bonus however, was that when they parked or drove elsewhere in Melbourne, everyone gave them plenty of space out of respect or was it fear of the appearance of their daily driver!!

Wonder which Melbourne suburb has the worst driver title now!! Seems like Mosman in Sydney has similar qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by BIKEPUG
    My pet peeve is when i pull into an empty carpark with over a thousand spare parks. So some moron comes and parks right next to me, leaving me no room to open my door so i have to climb in through the passengers side.
    I hate when people do this aswell I think it has something to do with peoples inability to park between the white lines and they need a fixed object to guide them. Why can't they learn to park.
    Your resident ninja

This is another reason I am happy to be driving my old $1500 (on a good day) R25. I can park it anywhere and not stree about it being scratched. When I had the 406, I was very paranoid and super careful about where I parked. Luckily, no one hurt it (except one friend who opened the door onto a pole, but it wasnt her fault - wind caught it).

There is a lot to be said for driving a cheap old car

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information