Setting up a workshop!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Setting up a workshop!!!

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm finally, after 30 years of pining for one, am setting up my first real workshop. No more lying on gravel or in the street under cars. No more pulling engines on the lawn with a tractor and dropping bolts in the grass. It's going to be great.

Anyway, I am in search of a welder (mig) as I had one back int he states (a 185 miller) and I loved it. I tried tig welding for a few weeks at the local TAFE until the cancelled the class, but never really got the hang of it like Mig. I think Tig has it's place, but mig is just more user friendly and versatile.

Advertisement

Does anyone have any preferences to brands? I'm leaning towards Cig, WIA and Liquidarc. I only buy quality tools as I think crap ones cost you more inthe long run. I want a single phase around 170-190 amp. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a good used one that they want to sell in the south?

Then all I need is an engine stand, a floor jack, creeper, parts washer, etc, etc.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Every serious workshop has to have one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Engine-crane-...QQcmdZViewItem

A lot of them here thought I was being a poser about a year ago when I suggested these, but since then, those who have them reckon as I do; you can't live without them on French cars.
    Everything in this kit is a must including the leveller.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default engine hoist

Thanks Alan, I've already thought of that. I built my shed myself, it's only 4.5 by 7, but it is pole shed construction and I built it with pulling engines in mind and have a steel I beem over two poles running the 4.5 span and I'm going to build a gantry type setup to allow side to side adjustment when I'm putting engines in and the fore & aft can come from moving the car slightly. I just don't have room for a purpose built engine crane. I will however, be getting an engine stand as it can tuck into the corner. Keep the ideas coming! Cheers
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Thread Information