Turbo timers......
  • Register
  • Help

Default Turbo timers......

Hi all,
    The other day at work I stated that turbo timers are illegal, and was promptly howled down by all and sundry. Can anybody throw any light on the subject, maybe with some links to back up what you are saying. I have checked the Qld. government site but didnt find anything specific.

Terry

Advertisement

UFO

AFAIK turbo timers (meaning the devices that keep your car's engine running for a few minutes after the ignition is turned off) are not illegal. There are some opinions that blow off valves are.

But... timers should be redundant on modern cars now that they would all probably have intercoolers

and

blow off valves are necessary for safety of the pressure system but it is not necessary for the wallys to turn them down so low the valve functions just reversing the car out of a carpark
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    AFAIK turbo timers (meaning the devices that keep your car's engine running for a few minutes after the ignition is turned off) are not illegal. There are some opinions that blow off valves are.

But... timers should be redundant on modern cars now that they would all probably have intercoolers
    How so the turbo still gets bloody hot regardless of whether an intercooler is fitted to cool the intake charge. The purpose of the Turbo Timer is to spin the turbo down while allowing oil to keep being pumped through the system. Otherwise the turbo can cook the oil destroying the bushes or bearings in the process. Having said all that though in normal driving situations you tend to slow down approaching your destination and not be driving on full boost at high revs anyway so they can be seen as a bit redundant except if you shut down after highspeed high boost running.

Got to say I would love a dollar for everyone who has told me my Cruiser was still running as I walk away from it. I check my watch and say it'l stop about now as it shuts down, priceless.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

UFO

I did use the old AFAIK disclaimer...

's OK

I've learnt a little more today
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Not sure about the illegal/legal nature of timers but, Subaru advise running the engine for up to 2 minutes following vigorous use of the WRX to allow heat from the turbo to dissipate.

Ford on the other hand don't make any similar recommendations about the Typhoon - probably because it feels much lazier (at lower boost) than the frenetic Rex, or maybe Ford just sorted the cooling out better.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

UFO

Just realised - your car insurance bill must be H U G E! I mean Sitruns are so expensive to insure Ever thought of putting a supercharger on the DS like Connaught did?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tasgill
    Hi all,
    The other day at work I stated that turbo timers are illegal, and was promptly howled down by all and sundry. Can anybody throw any light on the subject, maybe with some links to back up what you are saying. I have checked the Qld. government site but didnt find anything specific.

Terry
    I know that there is an offence for leaving the engine of a car running while unattended, but possibly the wording has some stipulation regarding the keys being in the ignition...

If I remember tonight I'll look up the exact wording..
    Last edited by mistareno; 26th January 2006 at 11:57 AM.

On the issue of timers and legality I was told by someone but I can't remember what authority they held; that if actually caught with a turbo-timer you may not be breaking the law with the timer but your vehicle may-be required to undergo an engineering inspection where the effectiveness of the handbrake will be looked at and if it isn't perfectly operational they will get you for that!

(I will post what I heard and learnt whilst owning S**b turbo.
    Most if not all modern turbos are fitted with water cooled bearing housings be they roller or ball bearings and therefore have much greater cooling ability than the older oil only bearing cooling.lube system.
    That said, if you drive it hard as mentioned you DO need to run it down a little!)
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

On my RSM 225 Cup, a small electric motor continues to run for a number of minutes after engine shutdown to circulate coolant through the turbo. I haven't stood around to time exactly how long this runs for. I presume that the length of time varies with things like ambient temperature, how hard the car has been driven etc.

Wow, you learn something new everyday! That is ingenious and very sensible. I wonder if it is a Renault first?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Honk Kong Puggy,

Don't know if it is a feature unique to Renault or otherwise. It is very quiet. Well it was when I first got the car. I remember the first time I noticed it. I drove the car into the garage, pressed the button to put the garage door down. After the noise from the door had subsided, I thought I could hear a very faint whirring sound. I did a quick search with the ears, eventually placing my head on its side with my ear lined up with the gap between the bonnet and the guard. Sure enough, there was the electric pump sound. My immediate thoughts were "That's cool". Then I realised that the thought was a very poor pun.

Anyway a few weeks ago the pump noise seemed to become a little louder to the extent that I could here it from inside the car when I first started the car and did not have the radio on. I could also here it in my garage when the engine had been switched off without placing my ear to the car.

But the last time I drove the car, I don't recall hearing it. Neither on start up nor shutdown. I'll check again this weekend.

1000+ Posts

The 19 s have this pump - anti perculation pump. Prevents vapour lock and heat sink - i think.

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Wow, you learn something new everyday! That is ingenious and very sensible. I wonder if it is a Renault first?
    I doubt it, the idea has been around for a long time, but usually as an after-market add-on. But Renault were one of the more turbo-happy manufacturers in F1, so who knows, everyone may have borrowed the idea from them.

The use of a separate oil supply with its own electric pump and radiator has also been out there for a while. It has the added advantage of being able to use a high temperature oil that can be changed more frequently than the engine oil. Saves money and adds life to the turbo.

Most hot rodding books that deal with forced induction have a chapter, or at least section, on this type of thing. I've never had a turbo but would use something like this any day in preference to a turbo timer. Just don'tlike the thought of walking off with the engine running!

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    The 19 s have this pump - anti perculation pump. Prevents vapour lock and heat sink - i think.
    That's heat soak - where heat travels from a larger mass to a smaller one. Like from the block and head into the exhaust manifold and turbo housing. I've seen pictures of a car after a hard run where they showed the turbo glowing red hot after the engine had been turned off for a few minutes!

The problem is still there even after a light run but because the turbo isn't spinning much no damage is caused. But after hard runs the turbo is spinning fast and the combination of heat and oil starvation can take years off the its life without some additional gadgets like timers to help it out.

It would appear as though Renault have been using this concept for some time. I believe that R5 turbos had a similar feature.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I know that there is an offence for leaving the engine of a car running while unattended, but possibly the wording has some stipulation regarding the keys being in the ignition...

If I remember tonight I'll look up the exact wording..
    A friend of mine lost his 300z this way, walked away.. came back 5 minutes later to the fireys opening his bonnet with a crowbar.
    Not that the timer would have been at fault per say, but I can see the potential for disaster, esp with older, poorly maintained cars; Where people make a habit of walking away from them.

There have also been cases of drivers leaving their cars idling, and the car jumping into gear while they are gone

David.

Thread Information