The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! friday403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    225

    Default The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread

    As a prelude to the rerun of the Ampol Trial in 2006 I invite fellow froggers and frogettes to contribute to an image (photo or shopped) thread having the following defining characteristics:

    1. The image must contain a french car, and

    2. The image must contain an Ampol reference (eg sticker, sign, bowser shot etc).

    For verification purposes a date/location reference must be included.

    No prizes at this stage but categories might be:

    - first image posted meeting the defining characteristics

    - earliest image (time)

    Advertisement


    - farthest away from Australia

    - most unusual

    - multiple state

    - most lodged number by a single entrant

    - most logged within a state.

    Judging to be disclosed if the thread takes off (gib gib, help here...)

    Disclaimer: This thread has not been approved by Graham Wallis (but GW, feel free to post details of the re-run, especially the day on the Gold Coast), the French Embassy nor the Ampol organisation.

    I'll refrain from posting until the weekend, allowing a fair chance for all to try to win the Aussie Frogger - Ampol Image challenge.

    friday403

  2. #2
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    These were posted up ages ago, but here goes again. Pic and location are self explanatory, Citroen DS21 in 1970 Ampol Trial. Ripped from various magazines, Modern Motor and Wheels Yearbook. Not photoshopped rubbish either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread-cit1.jpg   The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread-cit2.jpg   The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread-cit3.jpg  

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    These were posted up ages ago, but here goes again. Pic and location are self explanatory, Citroen DS21 in 1970 Ampol Trial. Ripped from various magazines, Modern Motor and Wheels Yearbook. Not photoshopped rubbish either.
    Pottsy came around yesterday to borrow my Ampol DVD in order to get details of the sign writing on the winning DS.
    As far as the Gold Coast goes we are still trying to get Zupps interested.
    No such problem in Ipswich as the council are right behind us, they are planning a 1950s style street party with music, dancing, food and all!
    There will be a mid afternoon stop at Mt Gravatt Showgrounds where we plan to have three very historic Citroens, the actual 1970 winning DS, the 1974 World Cup winning DS, and also the Light 15 driven by Keith Thallon in the 1954 Redex on display.
    Graham

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! friday403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    225

    Default Gold Coast - Zupps

    Ampol Rerun - I requested details from Zupps about what was happening on the Gold Coast and Peter has faxed through your re-run brochure. Since they are trying to get Bond University staff interested in the new Peugeot range (and I run the salary packaging function through HR) I thought I'd do some pushing from this end!

    friday403

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by friday403
    Ampol Rerun - I requested details from Zupps about what was happening on the Gold Coast and Peter has faxed through your re-run brochure. Since they are trying to get Bond University staff interested in the new Peugeot range (and I run the salary packaging function through HR) I thought I'd do some pushing from this end!

    friday403
    Thanks Chris, is that Peter Wilson you refer to?
    Skip has also been to see them.
    There are a few venues which have stalled although things got going in a big way with both Ipswich and Cessnock today.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 25th January 2006 at 06:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! friday403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    225

    Default Peter ...

    My office was speaking with Peter Hankey from Zupps Fleet Sales.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! friday403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    225

    Default Ampol Trial Badges

    Ooh! There are currently two Ampol Trial badges for auction on ebay ('56 and '58). Extra points if they are photographed on a 403 ......

    friday403

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts pottsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    we plan to have three very historic Citroens, the actual 1970 winning DS, the 1974 World Cup winning DS, and also the Light 15 driven by Keith Thallon in the 1954 Redex on display.
    Graham
    Ahem! Shouldn't that be FOUR very historic Citroens? Or perhaps you don't consider the Legendary Moby Dick to be historic yet? Since the original PPN 505 no longer has it's signwriting on, I anticipate a bit of healthy confusion over whose is the real one! (But I'll own up if asked!)

    A timely thread to ask if anyone has any other piccies than those above of Car 11 from 1970. I'm still trying to get it all correct for my signwriter.

    Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

    The Fleet:

    2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

  9. #9
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,184

    Icon12

    Quote Originally Posted by pottsy
    A timely thread to ask if anyone has any other piccies than those above of Car 11 from 1970. I'm still trying to get it all correct for my signwriter.

    Cheers, Pottsy.
    A couple more...

    Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread-ogier1.jpg   The unofficial french car plus Ampol thread-ogier2.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  10. #10
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    A couple more...

    Cheers
    Chris
    Great photos!
    Things are really starting to move now, a meeting with the sponsors (PAA) on Monday to plan the next 7 weeks and then the entries close on Tuesday.
    If anyone thinks they might like to enter (Any pre 1970 car and as little as $600 for two weeks) contact me and I can save you a place.
    Once the entry list has been published that's it.
    Still people looking for co drivers, no experience neccessary.

    Graham

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts pottsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Chris

    Thanks for the extra photos. With the stills I've gleaned from Graeme's DVD and the originals I now have about 90% of the info. I'm still trying to decipher one of the labels on the boot lid. I may post the stills later and see if anyone can help.

    It's interesting that your photo showing finer detail of the bull bar turned up just as I'm putting the finishing touches to my copy. Stay tuned for exciting images of the re-created car 11!

    Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

    The Fleet:

    2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

  12. #12
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pottsy
    Chris

    Thanks for the extra photos. With the stills I've gleaned from Graeme's DVD and the originals I now have about 90% of the info. I'm still trying to decipher one of the labels on the boot lid. I may post the stills later and see if anyone can help.

    It's interesting that your photo showing finer detail of the bull bar turned up just as I'm putting the finishing touches to my copy. Stay tuned for exciting images of the re-created car 11!

    Pottsy
    I recieved news last night that the real car 11 will be with us for a few days, probably Mt Gravatt to Gayndah.
    Graham

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts pottsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Right! It's ON!

    How's the chance of a quick two by two down a twisty dirt road?

    OK, only joking.

    Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

    The Fleet:

    2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •