Hitch-hikers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Hitch-hikers

Default Hitch-hikers

Does anyone stop for hitch hikers these days? I saw one on the Hume Freeway this morning near Glenrowan, and while he looked a bit ragged, I would have stopped for him if I didn't have Ben's glass and bumpers in the car (thanks muchly Ben, and make sure you take a photo of yourself with Poo-Brown before it goes). I'd say the poor bugger will be a skeleton by the time I get back up the Hume.

Advertisement

I am feeling this is well and truely a dying art, and I'd hate to see it disappear completely as I too am a frequent hitcher. Maybe I have Uncle Ivan to thank for that!

Any lovers of hitching/hitchers out there?
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    Does anyone stop for hitch hikers these days? I saw one on the Hume Freeway this morning near Glenrowan, and while he looked a bit ragged, I would have stopped for him if I didn't have Ben's glass and bumpers in the car (thanks muchly Ben, and make sure you take a photo of yourself with Poo-Brown before it goes). I'd say the poor bugger will be a skeleton by the time I get back up the Hume.

I am feeling this is well and truely a dying art, and I'd hate to see it disappear completely as I too am a frequent hitcher. Maybe I have Uncle Ivan to thank for that!

Any lovers of hitching/hitchers out there?
    I wouldnt pick up anyone in my 180... Unless I knew they were clean. I have a strict no eating/drinking policy and the last thing I want is some dirty thing sitting on my Alcantara. Having said that, if I drove an older car... Sure, I would pick up a Hitch Hiker. Especially if his name was Ford..
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 206 RC
    I wouldnt pick up anyone in my 180... Unless I knew they were clean. I have a strict no eating/drinking policy and the last thing I want is some dirty thing sitting on my Alcantara. Having said that, if I drove an older car... Sure, I would pick up a Hitch Hiker. Especially if his name was Ford..
    I can relate to that.I used to hitch everywhere, and I was usually going to gig and in a tux.Living in seaforth,(very posh syney suburb)there was no acceptable transport,and it was amazing the difference a tuxedo made to the type of person picking me up.Mostly 55-60 year old well kept ladies in their lexus or merc, and they would always assume I had broken down.A bit of old fasioned flirting would usually get me dropped at the door of my gig, even though it would sometimes be miles out of their way.On the other hand, wear your old trackies, and you might at best get some scary dude with no teeth in his beat up xd falcon.
    I once had some westie I picked up start to indicate that I might want to take him to where he wanted to go or else something might happen.I reasured him that I know my cars crumple zones all to well,and would love to show him the renaults safety features up close and personal. He got out at the next lights Good bluff.Dont know weather I'd have the guts to prang my passenger into a pole.
    I am a sucker for someone in need.If I see a cyclist in the national park pushing his bike,I'll offer to drive him the 25km to the bike shop, and the look of relief when he knows he doesn't have to take another step in those bike shoes is gold for me.I draw the line at drunks, though.They want to smoke your cigs,want you to drive them way out of you way and sometimes dont want to get out when you refuse to take them further.
    Jo

Icon7

My glass!!

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Default Glassity Glass

Is Ben your brother? If so, I take it that it came out of your ol' pug. Many thanks. It will be loved! AussieFrogs stickers pre-attached = BONUS!
    '96 306 xtdt

1000+ Posts

Used to. Not any more, too many weirdos.

Having had a mate murdered by one in Sydney several years ago and after all the 'hitch hiker' murders in Queensland, add to that Ivan Milat and a variety of other nutters wandering the roads and I can't see the chances of it ever becoming fashionable again.
    I picked one up a few years back who appeared to be a straight enough kind of guy but he turned out to be a real fruit cake and I got rid of him in a well populated area he was that scarey.
    In Queensland I understand it is illegal to either hitch hike or to pick a hitch hiker up which is probably a good thing given te number that were turning up in shallow graves in National Parks in SE Qld a few years back.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I would avoid hitchhikers too. Somebody clearly broken down and in trouble, or the cyclist aforementioned you would stop for - and offer the use of a phone perhaps. But the bloke scuffling along the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere? Why's he there? No friends (why?), no money (why, what's he spent it on?). Chance of him being mad, dangerous or just smelly is too high.

No disrespect of course to jo proffi; some young bloke up the Northern Beaches in a tux is likely a better than average risk
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Shame that this is what the world has come to. The only ones you see H/H these days are the despardos. Rather a self fulfilling prophecy.
    I have met a lot of really interesting people both hitching a giving lifts over the years. I have hitched Perth to Melb and Darwin back when I was young & firm.
    No more young chicks in hot pants - sigh.
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

1000+ Posts

Default Where it all went to Shite!

I'm old enough to remember the days when my father would stop and offer help to any person broken down beside the road, and hitch hikers were always picked up even if it meant us kids sitting on each others laps.

That all came to a halt about the time that "popular low cost motoring" made its appearance in the early 1950's. and the stories started to spread of ungrateful hitch hikers robbing drivers at knife point and worse!.

Then you would only pick up soldiers in uniform hitch hiking home or the well dressed, and even then drivers regretted their decision as they found the person to be ungrateful, demanding or anti-social.

I still picked up hitch hikers on occasion up until the late sixties, and never ever felt uneasy, but as kids arrived on the scene it would only be on exceptional occasions we would offer a lift and rarely out on the road.

I have some very good first hand knowledge of people who sufferred at the hands of psycho's they kindly picked up, and I suppose I like other parents discouraged our kids in either hitch hiking or stopping to render assistance as modern city smart defensive behaviuour - just like I don't support telemarketing - its my choice at the end of the day.

I even wonder about the way we used to pick up the soldiers etc in uniform as events unfolded with a number of well known psychopaths arrested for crimes against children, and rapes and murders all over Australia.

Not a good practice at all, but lucky those I chose to help were o.k.

hitch hikers... havent stopped for any yet. not too sure if i would... the only ones i see look like they are homeless, on drugs, or just plain wierd looking.

i will stop for people broken down, and offer a lift, but im not one for picking up complete randoms off the side of the road. maybe if they were female, and had abit of talent i might stop
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    maybe if they were female, and had abit of talent i might stop
    And find yourself up on a rape charge?
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    hitch hikers... havent stopped for any yet. not too sure if i would... the only ones i see look like they are homeless, on drugs, or just plain wierd looking.

i will stop for people broken down, and offer a lift, but im not one for picking up complete randoms off the side of the road. maybe if they were female, and had abit of talent i might stop
    Same here on all counts

I stop and give directions to people who look lost a lot (usually when walking though, not driving). But having "aliens" (possible illegal ones...) in my car is not something I'm especially keen on. If I wanted to to mix with the riff-raff/proletariat, I'd get the train

Ken you remind me of a relative of mine. He went on a rant to me for what seemed like hours, telling me how air travell is'nt what it used to be. You can't smoke cigars anymore, and it no longer has the same sense of occasion. People don't dress properly for the occasion anymore. I found it highly amusing, but perhaps I have a slightly twisted sense of humour.
    Last edited by Sergetov; 18th January 2006 at 10:12 AM.

1000+ Posts

Icon6 We only tell it as we saw it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Same here on all counts

I stop and give directions to people who look lost a lot (usually when walking though, not driving). But having "aliens" (possible illegal ones...) in my car is not something I'm especially keen on. If I wanted to to mix with the riff-raff/proletariat, I'd get the train

Ken you remind me of a relative of mine. He went on a rant to me for what seemed like hours, telling me how air travell is'nt what it used to be. You can't smoke cigars anymore, and it no longer has the same sense of occasion. People don't dress properly for the occasion anymore. And the smelly poor people make it unbearable. I found it highly amusing, but perhaps I have a slightly twisted sense of humour.
    Yeah Tim

We old timers see it from a different perspective, which is hard for those that didn't live the experience or can't comprehend the changes we talk off, however I have no doubt if you are alert and conscious of change, you will have similar stories to tell, but from your perspective of course.!

Of course your brother who moves in a slightly different world of contact with a wide spectrum of the population, will see things and experience things that even today you can't comprehend, except that you know him and trust his stories (well, enough to quote him as an impeccable and credible source on the forum )

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Same here on all counts

Ken you remind me of a relative of mine. He went on a rant to me for what seemed like hours, telling me how air travell is'nt what it used to be. You can't smoke cigars anymore, and it no longer has the same sense of occasion. People don't dress properly for the occasion anymore. And the smelly poor people make it unbearable. I found it highly amusing, but perhaps I have a slightly twisted sense of humour.
    Can I just say, after recently having to endure a JetStar flight I agree with your relative. The smelly poor people made the flight unbearable...

I had a baby shit it's pants in the seat in front (the parents did NOTHING). I had a Grandmother of European background constantly tell her two young charges to shut up... for gods sakes dont touch the light...

I thought of death in those 1.5 hours...
    Clint

the parents did NOTHING
    And this is why bushwalkers carry knives?

I'd hate to think how many times I've been caught trying to board a plane between Melbourne, Tasmania and New Zealand forgetting there was a knife in my hand luggage, but I guess it could be useful.

I'm going to pick up my 504 GLD right now!!!! Wooop, Wooop.

What does one tell their mum/wife when they've just bought another car?
    '96 306 xtdt

Geez some of the attitudes here are pretty sad. It's a sad society when we look down on poor people. Hey they're poor so they're flying economy. They still have a right to it as much as anyone else, so if you don't like it, and you're such a yuppie, don't be such a tightarse and fly firstclass. It's even sadder to be such a tightarse to fly a budget airline and then whinge about the poor people on it.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Geez some of the attitudes here are pretty sad. It's a sad society when we look down on poor people. Hey they're poor so they're flying economy. They still have a right to it as much as anyone else, so if you don't like it, and you're such a yuppie, don't be such a tightarse and fly firstclass. It's even sadder to be such a tightarse to fly a budget airline and then whinge about the poor people on it.
    A) The flight was chosen for me.
    B) I didnt say they had less of a right, maybe next time we meet I will shi* my pants and carry on like nothing has happened. We will see your reaction.
    C) Lighten up...
    Clint

1000+ Posts

B) I didnt say they had less of a right, maybe next time we meet I will shi* my pants and carry on like nothing has happened. We will see your reaction.
    I'm going to use that one in future! LOL

poor people? nah people with bad hygiene & no control of their kids are the killer...
    Alternate lifestyle? go for it, but your stench travels & you're forcing it on me!

I didnt say they had less of a right, maybe next time we meet I will shi* my pants and carry on like nothing has happened. We will see your reaction.
    classic..hehe I'll pay that one. It's the "smelly poor people" comment that bugged me.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thats so funny i almost crapped myself
    04' GTi 180

A) The flight was chosen for me.
    C) Lighten up...
    Thats the thing here - If you want to strech out in a flight here then your pretty much stuffed. Only Qantas offer a business class seat and Virgin & Jetstar only fly cattle class. Our work has the policy of cheapest flight available unless it's international. Then it's a duration thing that determines the type of fare you get.

b) is however priceless!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Have never picked one up and i dont think i ever will. Never know what nutcase you might get.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    classic..hehe I'll pay that one. It's the "smelly poor people" comment that bugged me.
    Sorry, that was a bit offside. I officially change it to smelly people.

Clint

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Yeah Tim

We old timers see it from a different perspective, which is hard for those that didn't live the experience or can't comprehend the changes we talk off, however I have no doubt if you are alert and conscious of change, you will have similar stories to tell, but from your perspective of course.!

Of course your brother who moves in a slightly different world of contact with a wide spectrum of the population, will see things and experience things that even today you can't comprehend, except that you know him and trust his stories (well, enough to quote him as an impeccable and credible source on the forum )

Was'nt having a go at you Ken.

But somehow you reminded me of a senile relative. (Where you got my brother from God only knows). You just made me remember, I'm not saying your senile or anything at all!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information