Victorian Club Registration
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Victorian Club Registration

Hi Guys,

I was talking to my brother inlaw (who loves old street rods and is currently building one) and apparantly they are bringing in street rod registration (ie: club rego). This will allow them to be used 90days a year, however you must fill in a logbook.

Does anyone out there know if the totally useless garbage Club Rego scheme will be updated to this ??? If so I have a couple of old Citroens that will be going onto club rego in the near future

Advertisement

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Maybe I'll just 'lower' the old DS's and see if there then eligable for street rod rego
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Welcome back Shane, hope you enjoyed the break with your family.

Hope so, I'll have a few of my Renaults on clubreg too if thats the case!

Fingers crossed,

David.

1000+ Posts

hmmm if i drive non-stop over night for 23hrs is that one day?

I'd be up for that... 90 days a year... almost twice a week...!

id do that too with the 205, it will only break down 90 times in a year that way

I believe that when this happens you will no longer be able to have a car on club rego that is modified in any way from original. A lot of cars currently on the club permit scheme will be forced on to the street rod rego which will no doubt cost more and may require engineering certificates. Good and bad depending on which way you look at it.

Jarrod

1000+ Posts

"That 5Turbo2 is not in original condition"
    "yes it is..."
    "oh, my mistake"

it helps to have a very rare car

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    I believe that when this happens you will no longer be able to have a car on club rego that is modified in any way from original. A lot of cars currently on the club permit scheme will be forced on to the street rod rego which will no doubt cost more and may require engineering certificates. Good and bad depending on which way you look at it.

Jarrod
    A similar system seems to work well in SA, 30 plus year old, 90 days free use with log book, with the added bonus that the car can retain its original rego plates instead of having to have CH or tacky "hysteric vehicle" plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    A similar system seems to work well in SA, 30 plus year old, 90 days free use with log book, with the added bonus that the car can retain its original rego plates instead of having to have CH or tacky "hysteric vehicle" plates.
    In WA, if you can get through a poorly trained bureaucracy (!), the system allows concessional licencing. With that, you can register for about $30/year but are restricted to "testing" and "club event". Mostly it isn't abused (I hope) and it works quite well. There is a need to keep a log book and an annual inspection system.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default Over thirties policy

I have mentioned this before, many many moons ago; In Sweden when a car gets to be thirty years old it is no longer subject to road tax. There is still a 35 crown fee, about 7 dollars though. Now if you have a car and want to drive it then it is up to you as long as there is at least third party property insurance on it. It is , however, possible and quite normal to get a cheap veteran car insurance on the car and use the car according to the restrictions this type of insurance has. Usually this means using the car on club runs, test driving and even using the car almost every day , but absolutely not for driving to work in. The car is usually covered for when it is in a garage and it say burns down or other mishaps. There is even a fairly cheap insurance for renovation objects that have not made it back onto the road.
    In Sweden, it is normal for vehicles to have an annual roadworthy carried out by the state run company for roadworthies, but if your car, or motorbike, is over the thirty year limit then it is only required every second year.
    I used to drive my 404 familiale all the time with this.
    Some other countries also have a similar thing I believe, but I fear that the EU is going to start restricting these small pleasures.

Phil

(hej Phil!) In France, and I stand to be corrected on this, cars over 25 years old don't pay annual rego. However, for the last few years, they have had a fairly strict "controle technique" that really did weed out the unroadworthies, where lots of goodies such as 504 c/c came onto the market quite cheaply, as the owners didn't think the cars would pass.

Speaking of plates, 20 years ago in Switzerland, I dunno if it is still the same, for a small extra fee, about 25% of the normal, you could transfer the plates from your road car to your show car, such as the 66 Mustang that a guy I knew outside Zurich had. I have no idea how they arranged the paperwork!

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hi Guys,

I was talking to my brother inlaw (who loves old street rods and is currently building one) and apparantly they are bringing in street rod registration (ie: club rego). This will allow them to be used 90days a year, however you must fill in a logbook.

Does anyone out there know if the totally useless garbage Club Rego scheme will be updated to this ??? If so I have a couple of old Citroens that will be going onto club rego in the near future

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Maybe I'll just 'lower' the old DS's and see if there then eligable for street rod rego

Not useless at all if you participate in club events. But yes there will be a new scheme coming soon. There has always been street rod (SR) plates for highly modified cars, both SR and CH will be changed.
    Graham

Hi Graham,

we have had the debate about the Victorian club rego scheme before if you do a search of this forum. My views of it are "For me it's a useless unusable peice of Merde". For people that live in Melbourne that can easily get out of a weekend it's probalby quite good.

It's bloody brilliant news if the scheme gets updated to a logbook

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

According to the frondrive magazine that arrived today. CLUB REGO IS IN !!!!! The Roads Minister has accepted the proposal and instructed VicRoads to proceed as quickly as possible with it. Possibly the end of Jan 2011

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Talk about a long time coming!
    This is brilliant news many if I read into it right.
    Presumably the idea is (90 days being a 1/4) that in theory one could have 4 cars on club reg, and drive them alternately, as they are intended, not just club events? The distinction I guess whether it's a daily driver.

I guess the price etc is yet to be worked out, if it's not dissimilar to the makeup of normal reg, 1/4 of a normal registration would be very cost effective.

Is there any info online?

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    Presumably the idea is (90 days being a 1/4) that in theory one could have 4 cars on club reg, and drive them alternately, as they are intended, not just club events?
    David.
    That is the type of thing that will close down the scheme completely. if it gets out of hand.
    You do have to own a car on normal reg to be part of the scheme, so hopefully this will reduce the rorting.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    That is the type of thing that will close down the scheme completely. if it gets out of hand.
    You do have to own a car on normal reg to be part of the scheme, so hopefully this will reduce the rorting.
    Graham
    How is this rorting... Your using the scheme exactly as designed to run 4cars............................... I'm sure gonna do this if I can .... Just think I could have 4 tired old on club rego.... and actually get to drive them

Your paying registration and insurance on all four cars, and filling in the log books correctly.... This is exactly what the scheme is designed for After all lets face it, your not going to be saving any money at all trying to press four 25+ year old cars into daily service :no:

I can't wait to see how many @ssholes that think they should be policing this scheme dob me in constantly 'cos I have a plastic bumper CX on club rego...... And am actually driving the car

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

There may well be a 2 car limit, or having to own a car on full rego etc.

Personally I don't see what the problem for unlimited cars, if;

a) your a club member, and its a legitimate club registered car.
    b) you aren't using the car for more than 90 days of the year.
    c) the scheme is priced accordingly covers relevant insurance etc.

Forgive me if I am being ignorant, I may have the idea completely wrong, as to what is proposed.

David.