how many musicians????
  • Register
  • Help

Default how many musicians????

I have always been a musician, and have always liked/owned renault cars, and lately have noticed quite a few aussie frogs members talking about gigs and fitting gear in etc.I was just wondering, how many full time muso frogs there are on this forum???
    Jo

Advertisement

Im a full time muso, if there is such a thing nowdays. Around this time of the year i classify myself as semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by DanoS16
    Im a full time muso, if there is such a thing nowdays. Around this time of the year i classify myself as semi-retired
    I could have written musicians who dont have a day gig, but that would exclude the best jazz drummer I know.
    jo

most muso's i know need to have something on the side to pay rent etc. Sadly jazz musicians are no exception!

Default Double Bassist

Yeah, there's one here! I'm a double bassist and it was lucky for me that my dad bought the 505 a week before I was born. It is the only sedan that I've found that I can stick my double bass through the middle of (from the rear driver side door through to the front passenger seat) without snapping the damn thing in half. The car really rocks for putting stuff in. Furthermore, I can fit my Mesa Boogie quad box in the back seat with it, and still have the whole boot empty.

The record in my car was:
    1 double bass,
    1 guitar,
    1 trumpet,
    1 Australian bassist,
    1 Australian guitarist,
    1 sexy African-American trumpeter,
    1 2x10 bass cabinet,
    1 2x10 fender guitar combo,
    1 Gallien Krueger bass amplifier,
    3 music stands,
    2 Reflex paper boxes full of my dads "Biggles of the Camel Squadron" books.

Um, I still talk about this day with the guitarist who said that he wouldn't have been able to put all this in his Magna wagon!! Let's just say that I wasn't leaving the traffic lights in a hurry!! (it's like squeezing something nasty out - hard work)

Long live the pug!!

Anyone want to palm off any XD2 engines to a curious uni student?
    Last edited by RASTEVE; 14th January 2006 at 06:14 PM.
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

al

I was serious about making a career out of music, then i realised i value money too much... Since then i have transfered out of my music degree, stopped practicing and completely lost my chops. But, i think i enjoy playing more now...

And rasteve, that sound like a decent load - but pugs seem to be designed for it. Last night i managed to get four guitars, a bass, a few random stands, an eden quad and my fender quad as well as a smelly bass player into my 205... The thing was totally decked, but it fitted fine. (and squeaked heaps on the two minute trip) I think your load wins though...

And can i have your mesa...? Please...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Icon10

Hehehe!! I think those loads are comparible for the size of your car. I don't know whether my double bass would fit into a 205. I should take it round to dad's one night and see! Two quads? Hope you've got your ear plugs! Ever thought about plugging them up in your car?

Hey, what's the difference between and musician and a family pizza?

The family pizza can feed a family.

I think you can keep your smelly bass player. They are never too cool, even when it's me!! I'll keep my trumpeter though , although you can borrow her for the price of a new set of strings.

And, as for the Mesa, well, it was a steal. Ebay - $700, I was laughing all the way back to the bank with the change. It's a sweet sounding bin. Now I just need to replace my 4 year old strings!! A 505 SRDT for a new set of strings? Anybody?
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

I could sing, 'could' being the important word.

i used to muck around with guitars afew years ago, both acoustic and electric... ive been thinking of picking it back up again.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

I have been a full time muso (drummer... mainly jazz and groove oriented musics) for the past 6 years, but am doing a high school teaching gig now. Funny thing is, I am getting more gigs now I am not looking for them... Then again, I aint a frenchie... I can, from experience, fit one 6 piece funk kit, one four piece jazz kit, one V-Drum kit with ancilliaries, and bulk random gear in the back of the GTI (Golf Mk2) without the back seat and still have room for a pssenger... I was ready to go when we were put on evacuation notice during the Canberra bushfires. Our Mk2 Jetta had our clothes and valuables...

and how do you make a muscisian winge.?
    give him a gig

im been tromboning casually over the past 5yrs, mainly can be found now in dorky grey pants and blue jacket competing against various Brass Bands. Or, hanging at the civic hotel with the proper muscians from the Consevatorium down these ways

tell me more about this sexy-african trumpeter

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Hey al, I think the sapce in the back of a 205 is bigger than a 306. I could fit way more gear into the 205 than in the 306. The most I ever had in the 306 is my bass, electric guitar and amp as well as the guitarist's amp, guitar, effects rack thing, wireless microphone and mic stand. But the 205 managed all that plus a week's supply of food and clothing. Go figure.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

I know for a fact that you can fit a double bass in a R12, and the best bit is you dont have to sit next to the bassist, as they'll be in the back seat
    My biggest load achievement, was to fit a fender rhodes keyboard, with matching speaker, fender twin,two guitars, a fender P bass in its massive case,and a traps case,all into a charade two door. I probably could have squeezed in a sexy afro/american female trumpet player though.
    I also know you can suvive on a freelance musicians wage. you just have to forgo some things like new cars,new most things for that matter, and live rather tightly.That is the main reason that I have nearly always driven renaults, as they are so bloody cheep to buy secondhand, and to run.
    Al, dont let the chops go to far backwards.When you get on the money train, you might want something for the sake of comparison, so you can hang out with the guys of old who are still broke, whilst you are rolling in it

I've been learning to play the guitar since July '99. I don't plan on making a living from it, I just enjoy it When I play the guitar, everything else seems to disappear from my thoughts. It's a good way to relax

I've got a Maton Mastersound MS2000 (The neck seems to have been designed for me ), a Maton EM325C, and a Marshall VS65R (which I'll replace with something better when I have more money...)
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

al

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Al, dont let the chops go to far backwards.When you get on the money train, you might want something for the sake of comparison, so you can hang out with the guys of old who are still broke, whilst you are rolling in it
    I actually caught up with my old band last week... Honestly, i can't get over how bigger wanks they are, and i don't miss them at all.

I must say though, i met a few lovely jazz musicians - it is just that they were a minority!

And i'm liking all the abuse of dirty bass players... But, it seems stonefree forgot to mention that he is one if them. I must say though, his band is really good - they have this really hot guitarist too...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Default Flamenco Guitarist

I've played Flamenco Guitar for around 30 years now. At the height of my playing I was doing TV, Radio, big cultural events such as Moomba and Australia Day, weddings and 21st as well as the odd concert. My greatest satisfaction came from the 3-night-a-week gig at our family's Tapas Bar & Restaurant, the Carmen Bar in Melbourne's Spanish quarter - sold off a few years ago, got too big and successful for the family to run, especially since the day job took me overseas.

Yeah, that's right, I'm now in Adelaide. But I'm a Victorian and that's where the action and talent tends to be. I still slip back into the group on the odd weekend when I visit Mum and end up playing at one of their gigs.

Oh, and I've formally taught as well.

Thread Information