Hail storm 6 jan 2006
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Hail storm 6 jan 2006

Poor old 505 coped a beating tonight on brisbanes southside.....

Advertisement

two sizeable dints in the bonnet and one huge wack to the windscreen rubber (lucky) it hit so hard it knocked the rearveaw mirror off the window (admitedly the glue was a bit old) but still it hit hard enough to dislodge it.
    Lucky it hit right on the window rubber and crome strip, half an inch lower and it would have gone right through the window.

anyone else get anything?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hail storm 6 jan 2006-hail.jpg  

Hope frogs survived it.

We just got absolutely hammered.

The poor 2CV was out there in it however I had thrown doonas blankets blow up beds (not dolls) over it so I'm fairly confident it's OK.

There HAD to be wide spread damage from this one. Easily worst for the season. 48mm in our gauge in about 20 minutes.
    There's another one on the way too, although it may die out before it gets here...

UFO

Bugger about the hail guys. I hope you all have minimal damage. Interesting that none of those would qualify as "golf ball sized" The meedya will have to use another colloquialism.

What size was hail before golf?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

damn those QLD storms

we had hail here a couple of weeks ago that was still piled up in places 1/2 way through the next day

we had around 6" of hail on the ground and luckily it was all small stuff yet you can pick the jap/korean cars that were left outside during the storm and we even saw a newish commodore the other day that was peppered all over

i was driving through the storm in the 604 when it hit and the road was covered like snow and it was like driving on marbles

i had a car trailer outside and it was covered and heaped up on it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I didn't find that storm all so bad (the one the previous night hit us harder). It must've flown just south of us (Milton).
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

123abc, you should point out that’s an inch rule –not centimetres!
    I live in Rochedale and we copped a pounding! Sounded like someone was chucking bricks on my roof. I’ve lived here for 18 years and I’ve seen plenty of hail but not this big or destructive! C2 was tucked up nice and warm but I have a ’81 323 ‘workhorse’ and it now has about a dozen minor dints in the roof and bonnet. Watched and waited for car windows to smash but they held.

Quote Originally Posted by ozVTR
    123abc, you should point out that’s an inch rule –not centimetres!
    I live in Rochedale and we copped a pounding! Sounded like someone was chucking bricks on my roof. I’ve lived here for 18 years and I’ve seen plenty of hail but not this big or destructive! C2 was tucked up nice and warm but I have a ’81 323 ‘workhorse’ and it now has about a dozen minor dints in the roof and bonnet. Watched and waited for car windows to smash but they held.
    well i thought most people would be able to see that it is an inch rule........if it was centimetres it wouldnt even be worth the photo....

yer id say rochedale got a hammering, im in the street opposite eight mile plains state school. Mum and dad have been here for almost 30years and they said the same, never seen it that big in this area.

al

I just had a text from my dad saying that his 406 coupe copped a beating... He is really upset as he has kept that car perfect, and it didn't have a mark on it.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

I am in Rochedale too, and yes we got hit fairly hard. Got some broken tiles and a skylight.

Had one Alpine GTA in the front yard, as I just can't put them all away at the moment. Got a smashed tailight, but these are not so common in Aus, so another call to my friendly English Alpine owners, and I expect quite a few $ later, it all will be happy again.

One good thing, fibreglass does not dint, and the glass did not break.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

I'm amazed no one has come up with a mass produced ,cheap,self inflating hail protector that just stores in the boot ready to be attached to the roof and inflated, a bit like a giant surf mat.I'm sure insurance companys would come to the party, particularly if you drive a 7 series bmw, or have an entire carpark full of them.If global warming predictions are correct,we might have a strong market on australias east coast.
    Jo

Jo that's a good idea!

Just finished cleaning up the yard of debris.
    Nothing untoward thank goodness.

It's so calm here now. Makes you wonder how mother nature gets over something like that.
    Still humid though, I'm not taking my chances with another brew up this arvo so the duck is going under cover, which means the van will be out. 4 cars & only 3 undercover parks.

The doonas appeared to have worked as my neighbours cars were damaged.
    I tied them down with rope probably 20 minutes before the storm hit.
    I wanted to "fine tune" my doonas but as I was about to go outside there 4 real close lightning strikes in about 40 seconds, so I chicken out & ran back inside

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I'm amazed no one has come up with a mass produced ,cheap,self inflating hail protector that just stores in the boot ready to be attached to the roof and inflated, a bit like a giant surf mat.I'm sure insurance companys would come to the party, particularly if you drive a 7 series bmw, or have an entire carpark full of them.If global warming predictions are correct,we might have a strong market on australias east coast.
    Jo
    Jo,
    There is a guy up here on Bribie Island who has a quilted type hail cover available. I can't remember where they are available from or if he is still in business as it was a few years ago now.
    I actually went out last night and overed the Rx4 in a quilt and large blanket just actually wrestled them to the clothes line now as they are full of H2) and very heavy. I can't believe it missed us, we are at Wishart and the papers said it hit Norman Park badly too which is about 8km closer into the city than where we are. The funny thing is we are between where 123abc and Alam M are for us though. I was really worried about the 2xsunroofs in the Scenic, I'd hate to have to replace them. (are glass s'roofs classed as windscreen glass or just body panel??)

Sounds like me too Gerry, I was covering the Scenic and the lightening was coming thick and fast and didn't bother with ropes, just tucked under and into the mouldings of the roof racks.
    Chris.
    Do any of you guys remember seeing that guys hail blanket up here a few years ago?
    May-be Jo has a good idea there, an A/F patented hail blanket. Duck size, 4Cv sizes and all others?
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 7th January 2006 at 03:22 PM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Bugger about the hail guys. I hope you all have minimal damage. Interesting that none of those would qualify as "golf ball sized" The meedya will have to use another colloquialism.

What size was hail before golf?
    I pronounce "hail the size of golf balls" officially dead, Craig. This afternoon it was presented as "hail the size of fists."
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

guys just so you know don't use any woollen blankets on your cars as they stick and mark the paintwork when they get wet

i keep an old foam matress handy just in case of hail and it works well, just throw a silly sollies tarp over it and your done then

glad we don't get big stones here, we leave that for orange and bathurst as they are a higher altitude and of course QLD as they have great storms up there just so long as everything stays un damaged

best lightning shows i have ever seen were up there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yeah, we've been getting some great lightning every night for like the last week. I love it when it's so close you can hear the air rip before the boom. Way cool.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Did you hear that one yesterday morning at 3AM?
    Think half of Brisbane woke up & dogs going off their nut.
    It was the only one I heard too but very close (Annerley).

Night before from 11PM until probably 1AM it was thundering the whole time!

Although it's hot during the day I can still get my outdoor work done & the rain at night is great.

They have predicted cyclones for even this far down in the next few months. The storms are hugging the coast but a cyclone might actually dump into the dams. Pity there is wind in a cyclone.

My 3000 litre tank was nearly empty on Monday but it's full today!

but the weather is changing at all is it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    Yeah, we've been getting some great lightning every night for like the last week. I love it when it's so close you can hear the air rip before the boom. Way cool.
    my bloody house got hit by the lighntning Knocked the power out but happily no hailstones. I heard the air rip alright and my jocks followed next

al

Can anyone recommend a good panel repairer for my dad. He hasn't been in brisbane long enough to build any connections yet. (and doesn't have much need with only the pug up there)

Apparently his car has seven dints in it, one of which is really deep...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Can anyone recommend a good panel repairer for my dad. He hasn't been in brisbane long enough to build any connections yet. (and doesn't have much need with only the pug up there)

Apparently his car has seven dints in it, one of which is really deep...

this guy will put you in contact with a panel beater who has experiance with peugeots.

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Jo,
    There is a guy up here on Bribie Island who has a quilted type hail cover available. I can't remember where they are available from or if he is still in business as it was a few years ago now.
    I actually went out last night and overed the Rx4 in a quilt and large blanket just actually wrestled them to the clothes line now as they are full of H2) and very heavy. I can't believe it missed us, we are at Wishart and the papers said it hit Norman Park badly too which is about 8km closer into the city than where we are. The funny thing is we are between where 123abc and Alam M are for us though. I was really worried about the 2xsunroofs in the Scenic, I'd hate to have to replace them. (are glass s'roofs classed as windscreen glass or just body panel??)

Sounds like me too Gerry, I was covering the Scenic and the lightening was coming thick and fast and didn't bother with ropes, just tucked under and into the mouldings of the roof racks.
    Chris.
    Do any of you guys remember seeing that guys hail blanket up here a few years ago?
    May-be Jo has a good idea there, an A/F patented hail blanket. Duck size, 4Cv sizes and all others?
    yer its pretty amazing that some suburbs got hammered and then 100metres down the road others just got drizzle....

my mate who is just on the other side of the freeway from me got hammered, he wasnt home, down the coast, at the time but he had a little pulsar out the front that he was trying to sell......it got destroyed, (at least destroyed in the eyes of any potential buyers) i told him he should have rung me to move it but he had the keys on him down the coast so he didnt bother ringing me.

ah well.

as for hail covers well i have a big bit of carpet that i use but it only covers the windscreen (the most important bit) not the bonnet or roof.

My duck did cop some dents in the bonnet

I managed to squeeze 4 cars under the house, we carried the duck into the laundry!
    I will leave it there until the predicted storms next week pass.
    I can't drive it anyway.
    I'll get a picture of it tomorrow next to the dryer

As this post is only very slightly related to French cars (though not uniquely - all makes of cars were affected by hail), I would've thought it should be in The Toad Pond. There seems to be a increasing blurring of the distinctions between the sub-forums; this may be good time to reiterate the purpose of each sub-forum. Moderators and Administrators?
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

al

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    this guy will put you in contact with a panel beater who has experiance with peugeots.

Thanks - My dad will appreciate that. Who's number is it anyway?
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

We copped an earth tremour last night at 9.10pm but as usual, the locals are talking about it but the media have a cap on it. (Can't be scaring tourists away y'know) No doubts they'll do a story on about Tuesday talking about the air force like last time until it was pointed out that sonic booms aren't usually felt and heard over a 500 klms radius and after a bit of fussing around for a couple of more days, the truth will appear in the fashion pages on a late edition a week or so later; that's usually par for the course.
    We've had a few since we've been here but this was by far the worst and was followed up with about 4 or 5 after shocks.
    Apart from that we've had some heavy falls and strong winds but little if any hail.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information