A Car With A Mind Of Its Own
  • Register
  • Help

Default A Car With A Mind Of Its Own

"When Hicham Dequiedt, driving on a highway between Vierzon and Riom in central France in his Renault Vel Satis this Sunday, was overtaking a truck, his car began accelerating to 120 mph on its own, apparently due to a defect in the cruise control system. Stomping on the brakes proved pointless and, having a magnetic card for a car key, he could not cut the ignition. After calling the police from his cell phone who then attempted to clear the streets of any danger to him, in what he described as the most fearful event of his life, he raced down the highway for another hour before finally managing to stop the car. Read about the incident here or, in more detail, in this article by the German 'Spiegel' (translation). The case is still under investigation. Are we putting too much trust in the increasing number of electronic systems that our lives depend upon?"

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/10/0....shtml?tid=126

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

there was one i heard about years ago that did a similar thing except the car kept accelerating on it's way into goulburn

each attempt the driver made to try and stem the car it kepts increasing speed untill it hit around 180 km/h

from memory it was a mitsubishi electric cruise control so it wasn't some crazy clints type brand

they cut the ignition to the engine on a straight bit of road so as to aviod having to try and negotiate any bends in the road without having the engine going and to be able to stop the car without the use of the power brakes

i have vowed never to have a car with cruise control or if it is fitted to a car to never use it as i have never trusted them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

So the driver didnt think to put the car in neutral?

It would never happen with the newer PSA cruse control system because of the safety overrides built into the electronic fly by wire throttle system.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Fellow Frogger!

One of dads friends had a similar experience with an old golf diesel yonks ago. Obviously not a cruise control fault, but something about the exhaust gassses being recirculated. Can't remember many details tho.
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

I was wondering the same thing as I read it, why not take the car out of gear? Not to mention that if you press hard enough the brakes are more powerful than the engine.

I was told about a harvester that had something go wrong its governor (or something along those lines) and the engine raced at WOT doing far higher rpm than diesels are intended to do for either 15 or 30 min before it blew up. Apparently any method of cutting it off would have involved getting far too close to the spinning bits. The people knew how much it was going to cost as it had just been rebuilt, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by LeePower
    So the driver didnt think to put the car in neutral?

It would never happen with the newer PSA cruse control system because of the safety overrides built into the electronic fly by wire throttle system.
    probably the car is automatic ??

besides it's very dangerous with no drive on the wheels and then you try to apply brakes, it's destined for disaster.

it's probably more sensible to change down a gear or two to let the gearbox to the work, especially at such high speed better than brakes upsetting the balance of the car too.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    probably the car is automatic ??

besides it's very dangerous with no drive on the wheels and then you try to apply brakes, it's destined for disaster.

it's probably more sensible to change down a gear or two to let the gearbox to the work, especially at such high speed better than brakes upsetting the balance of the car too.
    You can't put it in neutral... The cruise control is obviously trying hard to accellerate the car under the false impression that the car is slowing ... and needs the throttle wide open to accellerate back to the set speed... Drop it into neutral or a lower gear and the motor will sit there at peak revs with the throttle wide open until it destroys itself... If your already sitting on 110km/h++ You would most likely fade the brakes out completely against a motor running at full power (remember the motor can run with the throttle wide open without overheating ... the brakes can't be held on indefinatly ... without fading to nothing).

I'd fit cruise control without an issue, I'd just switch the igniton off ... In a citroen the fact the motor is still in gear and spinning over, means you will still have the pump spinning, so will still have brakes/steering/suspension etc... Just don't turn the key right off as the steering lock will engage

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by johnh875
    I was wondering the same thing as I read it, why not take the car out of gear? Not to mention that if you press hard enough the brakes are more powerful than the engine.

I was told about a harvester that had something go wrong its governor (or something along those lines) and the engine raced at WOT doing far higher rpm than diesels are intended to do for either 15 or 30 min before it blew up. Apparently any method of cutting it off would have involved getting far too close to the spinning bits. The people knew how much it was going to cost as it had just been rebuilt, oops.
    Diesels can start to run on their own oil and will go to WOT. The best way to stop them is to choke them to a standstill, easier if a snorkle air intake is fitted.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

When french "character" goes wrong....
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    When french "character" goes wrong....
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

This is a really old story. There is even some cause to doubt that the episode actually happened. Although I've not heard any outcome.

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...254516#related

Renault to sue 'out of control' Vel Satis driver
    [ See related stories ]

October 8, 2004

Paris, France - Renault is to go to court to protect its reputation after a driver claimed to have been forced to drive at nearly 200km/h because of a fault with his car's cruise control.

Tests on the Vel Satis MPV, Renault said, showed no sign of malfunction to support the story of Hicham Dequiedt, 29, who claimed that, after overtaking a truck on the A71 freeway in central France on Sunday, the car's cruise control stuck at 190km/h.

"In light of these tests, and concerned by the impact of this affair on the image of our products, we have decided to file suit," Renault said
    'Concerned by the impact of this affair on the image of our products, we have decided to file suit' - Renault

The company said it would seek an interim ruling on the basis of new tests by a third party to establish its case. It did not rule out suing for damages eventually.

The incident received widespread coverage in the national and international news media but Renault executives were sceptical from the start about the truth of Dequiedt's claims.

Police who spoke to him on his mobile phone as he sped for an hour on the freeway said they were convinced he was telling the truth. He was eventually able to cut the engine and the car cruised to a halt 20km from a toll plaza near the town of Riom.

Media reports on Thursday said Dequiedt had just had his licence returned to him after it was confiscated for four years for drunk driving.

Police said he would face prosecution if he was found to have lied. - AFP

This story has reached mythical proportions in France. It is on par with the “a dingo took my baby” catchcry, “the cruise control did it”. When in doubt – if speeding, drunk, run the tollgates, no money for the autoroute, just say “it accelerated itself”. There have been plenty of copycat incidents, people trying it on.

The motor mags still run story after story on the whole subject, and the incident. It has been mentioned in books. The mere mention of Vel Satis invokes the kind of reaction that “Pinto” and “fueltank “ still do, or “Ford” and “Firestone”. Renault were certainly besmirched by it, with plenty of technical and legal representation. I don’t think that it was every really proved one way or the other.

But really, Pugrambo, think about how many cars there are out there, how many have cruise, how many journeys done with it on. Statistically you have much more chance of winning lotto, being hit by the overflow from an airplane toilet over western NSW, or finding a bit of Skylab in your backyard than you do of having your cruise control run away on you. Do you still get tyres, even though you have heard of people getting punctures?

Chris

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

thanks Chris

i reckon with some of the journeys i do and have done over the years i would fall asleep with cruise in a car

i doubt i would have ever been able to do Yeppoon to Moss Vale in one hit with cruise for example

i prefer to drive a car rather than the car do the driving for me otherwise i may aswell go by bus, train or plane
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

The driver was probably an Aussie that pushes certain other car brands out this place hehehe

I'm with Pugrambo on the Cruise Control thing... i'd much prefer not to have it, plus i could keep my speed pretty constant in the ol Clio without much trouble, and as he said its a lot better for driving distances! (actually driving that is!)

Thread Information