205 citroen?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 205 citroen?

Default 205 citroen?

I have finally talked my wife into a frog, a Pug 205si. Before I run out and buy one, I was just wondering if Citroen ever made a car similar to the 205, kind of like a modern day 2CV. She's just looking for a small, easy to park and very efficient car. Does anyone have a good si they would like to get rid of, preferably in Melbourne? I'm really just looking forward to selling her Honda and not having to look for cars for a while!

Advertisement
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hmm,

lets see, would I get my wife a 20year old car .............. That's why I always have one (modern'ish) car in the house.

I'd be thinking 206/clio/c3 ... Something modern, a 205 would be a great fun car, but is she someone that'll appreciate a 20year old 205 falling apart around her because it's fun to drive around corners

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Probably the closest thing from Citroen to your 205 would be the AX gti.

Not as sure-footed and solid in build but boy do they hammer.

Default Ax

The AX eh? I've never heard of them, but after looking into them a bit, it looks as though they're pretty elusive. I don't think I'll find one of the 50 brought here with any ease. I guess I'll just have to stick with the si or a BX. Thanks guys.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Can't go past a fuel injected manual bx. Should go forever, easy on fuel and has a useful boot.

Dave

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    I've never heard of them, but after looking into them a bit,

Huuuhh?
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hmm,

lets see, would I get my wife a 20year old car .............. That's why I always have one (modern'ish) car in the house.

I'd be thinking 206/clio/c3 ... Something modern, a 205 would be a great fun car, but is she someone that'll appreciate a 20year old 205 falling apart around her because it's fun to drive around corners

seeya,
    Shane L.

20 year old shane?? that would imply that they stoped making them in 1985, which isn't the case, and infact they were still rolling off the production line in 1994.

Back to the original question, nothing that shipped to Australia by Citroen was 205 like until the advent of the Xsara, a BX would be somewhat similar, though definately not as small, and probably in the end more of a headache then a 205 SI I would suggest that if you're looking for something like a cheap small french car that you look at an N3 306. They're fairly modern interior wise, and can be had for around the same price, or a little bit more then an SI that you will find that's still in good nick.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    20 year old shane?? that would imply that they stoped making them in 1985, which isn't the case, and infact they were still rolling off the production line in 1994.

Back to the original question, nothing that shipped to Australia by Citroen was 205 like until the advent of the Xsara, a BX would be somewhat similar, though definately not as small, and probably in the end more of a headache then a 205 SI I would suggest that if you're looking for something like a cheap small french car that you look at an N3 306. They're fairly modern interior wise, and can be had for around the same price, or a little bit more then an SI that you will find that's still in good nick.

but seeing as they didn't change much from the time they were released in '84 they would be classed as a 20 year old design of motor car just as the 604 is basically now a 30 year old car and so on

not that there is anything wrong with this
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    but seeing as they didn't change much from the time they were released in '84 they would be classed as a 20 year old design of motor car just as the 604 is basically now a 30 year old car and so on

Well obviously one of us has taken this out of context. They may be a car designed some 20 years ago, but it's design has nothing to do with how old the car actually is i.e. a car made in 1994 is an 11 year old car, not a 20 year old car. To call a 205 a 20 year old car would be like me saying that a Porsche 911 is a 40 year old car when quite clearly it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes

I can see with this negative attitude of yours towards Cits, I'm gunna have to pay you a call when I'm passing through the Sunny Coast sometime and open your eyes. If they have problems with Cits and not Pugs, then that goes back to the repairers not the cars, after all, a 205Gti is basically a BX TZi or a Tri 122 but without the comfort space and carrying capacity of the BX.
    Another point worthy of note is the ability of a BX to pull and carry load; a BX is rated as a carrying load of 1500kgs and legal towing load of 1100kgs; ask some of the guys in the UK what they're like in that department as many have had caravanning holidays in Europe in them and they were the UK Caravan Associations "Tow car of the year" for at least a couple of years.
    My first BX I sold when it had 240K klms on it as I wanted to buy the 16V. Last I heard it was back on the market and had done a further 85K klms and was described as troublefree motoring. I have one son who has done almost 40K klms in his TZi and another with a 16V that has somewhere around 180K MILES on the clock and is used as a commercial vehicle, shopping trolley and sprint car. I've recently bought another shopping trolley with 230K klms that runs like new now it's been serviced, so what's the issue with reliability?
    You recently missed a chance at a good car (Brennos) and the new owner (Crosspug) has now ordered a carton of green quinces to try to take the constant smile off his face since he drove it. For you mate, that's like a big fish................"the one that got away!"
    Incidentally, the nearest to a 205 was the AX Gt of which I understand only about 50 made it to Oz. Overseas, the ZX was the at least equivalent if not better than.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I can see with this negative attitude of yours towards Cits, I'm gunna have to pay you a call when I'm passing through the Sunny Coast sometime and open your eyes. If they have problems with Cits and not Pugs, then that goes back to the repairers not the cars, after all, a 205Gti is basically a BX TZi or a Tri 122 but without the comfort space and carrying capacity of the BX.
    Another point worthy of note is the ability of a BX to pull and carry load; a BX is rated as a carrying load of 1500kgs and legal towing load of 1100kgs; ask some of the guys in the UK what they're like in that department as many have had caravanning holidays in Europe in them and they were the UK Caravan Associations "Tow car of the year" for at least a couple of years.
    My first BX I sold when it had 240K klms on it as I wanted to buy the 16V. Last I heard it was back on the market and had done a further 85K klms and was described as troublefree motoring. I have one son who has done almost 40K klms in his TZi and another with a 16V that has somewhere around 180K MILES on the clock and is used as a commercial vehicle, shopping trolley and sprint car. I've recently bought another shopping trolley with 230K klms that runs like new now it's been serviced, so what's the issue with reliability?
    You recently missed a chance at a good car (Brennos) and the new owner (Crosspug) has now ordered a carton of green quinces to try to take the constant smile off his face since he drove it. For you mate, that's like a big fish................"the one that got away!"
    Incidentally, the nearest to a 205 was the AX Gt of which I understand only about 50 made it to Oz. Overseas, the ZX was the at least equivalent if not better than.

Alan S

The way that car was advertised you'd wonder why I didn't buy it. Especially when I live on the sunshine coast, and I probably couldn't have driven it back up if i wanted to

I told you what was wrong with it and I was spot on. Anyway, for about $400 you could have had it on your doorstep.
    FWIW, one of my sons bought a CX for $800 in Sydney a few years back and drove it back; so much for unreliable Citroens that need mountains of maintenance.
    I've driven a 16V and a 79 CX back and it's no big deal in a Cit I can assure you.
    I won't elaborate on the way that car was advertised apart from saying "I told you so"

Alan S

al

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

My sisters si makes the gti feel (and smell) like a dinosaur...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al
    My sisters si makes the gti feel (and smell) like a dinosaur...
    Yes, the Sis are more refined with a better driving position than the early GTis.
    Very easy to live with, no wonder series 3 GTis are in such demand, best of both worlds?
    Graham

I suggest driving a 'good' car of all the cars your interested in (even if they are out of your price range). I'll be quite surprised if you don't decide on the BX.... Also try a good Fuego without metric rims too. There biggest downfall is lack of fuel injection and very unusable hatch/2doors though.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

al

Dan, based on your needs i think the si is excellent value. Between my sister and i we have a si, gti, 405 (same as a bx but better) and i had a feugo, and i would say the si is going to be perfect.

The car you have lined up is in exceptional condition, and it will be a managable and enjoyable car for your wife. (that you don't have to justify creaks/ heavy steering/ worse fuel economy/ rough ride etc for the fact that it is quick)

They also feel far more modern than a fuego, aren't as bloody ugly as bxs and are lighter/ more nimble than 405s.

Plus it will look hot on my wheels.... lol. (this isn't about me getting a sale either - i promise...)
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Dan, based on your needs i think the si is excellent value. Between my sister and i we have a si, gti, 405 (same as a bx but better) and i had a feugo, and i would say the si is going to be perfect.

The car you have lined up is in exceptional condition, and it will be a managable and enjoyable car for your wife. (that you don't have to justify creaks/ heavy steering/ worse fuel economy/ rough ride etc for the fact that it is quick)

They also feel far more modern than a fuego, aren't as bloody ugly as bxs and are lighter/ more nimble than 405s.

Plus it will look hot on my wheels.... lol. (this isn't about me getting a sale either - i promise...)
    Hmm, someone that's never driven a BX again ... and someone that thinks a Barina/hairdresser car looks better than a BX (there both fuggly, at least the BX actually looks different to a Barina though)

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default 205 Citroen

Geez, I had no idea I'd start a marque war! No Al, I'm not backing out of our deal, I said I'd buy your wheels and I always do what I say. I am 99% sold on the si, just wanted to check the cit route before I buy. I really was geared up about the BX idea, but after talking to a fellow that had a BX for sale that, very admmirably, told me of all the problems he had with the car, I changed my mind. I still think that was one of the most selfless acts I've seen in modern times, basically talking himself out of a sale to ensure someone else didn't get stuck with a lemon. To be totally truthful though, My father inlaw got me into pugs and he had a 504 that he sunk thousands into. My MIL fdrives a 405 that they have sunk more countless thousands into and now the FIL has a Xantia that seems to be a bottomless $$$ pit. Perhaps these cars werent bad, I'm just really used to buying a $500 honda with half a million K's on it and driving it forever and just doing oil changes. WHy, you may ask, are you a pug owner then? I still think the old 404 ute is great value and different and useful. My 505 diesel is fantastic value for $2000 and as soon as I do 20 years worth of overdue maintanance on it, It should be cheap transport. Peugeots I love for daring to be different and Citroens I love for being daring to be different again. We've all got our favourite marque and are passionate about them (otherwise we wouldn't be looking at a car forum on Christmas day). As far as Citroens go, the old KISS principal doesn't apply to Hydraulic suspension. If I could get my wife into a 505, trust me, I would. Seeing as I can't, it sounds like the si is the next best thing until a 306 diesel comes into our price range.

Geez, I had no idea I'd start a marque war! No Al, I'm not backing out of our deal, I said I'd buy your wheels and I always do what I say. I am 99% sold on the si, just wanted to check the cit route before I buy. I really was geared up about the BX idea, but after talking to a fellow that had a BX for sale that, very admmirably, told me of all the problems he had with the car, I changed my mind. I still think that was one of the most selfless acts I've seen in modern times, basically talking himself out of a sale to ensure someone else didn't get stuck with a lemon. To be totally truthful though, My father inlaw got me into pugs and he had a 504 that he sunk thousands into. My MIL fdrives a 405 that they have sunk more countless thousands into and now the FIL has a Xantia that seems to be a bottomless $$$ pit. Perhaps these cars werent bad, I'm just really used to buying a $500 honda with half a million K's on it and driving it forever and just doing oil changes. WHy, you may ask, are you a pug owner then? I still think the old 404 ute is great value and different and useful. My 505 diesel is fantastic value for $2000 and as soon as I do 20 years worth of overdue maintanance on it, It should be cheap transport. Peugeots I love for daring to be different and Citroens I love for being daring to be different again. We've all got our favourite marque and are passionate about them (otherwise we wouldn't be looking at a car forum on Christmas day). As far as Citroens go, the old KISS principal doesn't apply to Hydraulic suspension. If I could get my wife into a 505, trust me, I would. Seeing as I can't, it sounds like the si is the next best thing until a 306 diesel comes into our price range.
    To be fair ... The only Citroens and Poogoes I've heard of that have "had thousands spent on them" are owned by people that take them to certain specialists. If you want a prime example, do a search on a 16valve that was sold here recently

It's bloody weird how both me and my father have run them for decades and spent bugger all on them in maitenance The only $$$ my father spent on the Xantia in the years he drove it was oil changes and 1 fog light that got broken.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

If the BX owner was the one I suspect it may have been, you may now want to talk to the guy who bought the car for a more realistic appraisal.
    He hasn't stopped smiling since he bought it. (for the record, he was a Pug owner too)
    I can't believe that some of us who have had a number of Cits are the only ones who don't seem to get these 'bottomless pits" unless the fact we don't use a certain "specialists" is coincidental.
    The suspension is about as complicated as a bucket of water.

Alan S

al

I am 99% sold on the si, just wanted to check the cit route before I buy.
    I wasn't suggesting you were going to back out - if you want to though that is cool.

And while i don't like the bxs looks, its value is undeniable - the 405s are so good that they can't drive as badly as they look. Good luck though - the Sis are cool little cars, and they are great fun for what they are worth.

Do you know what the story with the red car is yet?
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Default bottomless pits...

You may be right, It seems that people that spend thousands on cars never seem to do their own work. Alan, I've read some of your posts regarding shonky mechanics and agree totally. The 505 diesel I bought from NSW with only 145K that "supposedly" had all these things done to it like changing the turbo oil and RW's done for years came to me with bald tyres, worn pads, leaking radiator, broken wiper motor, etc, etc. And yes, I did say, changed the turbo oil, they must have seen them coming!

I know that the citroen suspension is simple in principle and in no way was I badmouthing Cit's. I think the reason Cit's have a bad name is that people fear what they don't know and I haven't played around with a Cit before. I probably should have bought that BX, it sounded like a real bargain. I just wasn't comfortable buying a car that I'd never seen without even driving or seeing one like it in person. I tried to find a BX to drive in Tassie, no one had one. I'ts hard to take that leap of faith based on others experiences. If I had my way, I'd have a 404 diesel wagon as my perfect car, so obviously I don't have much taste, don't listen to me!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i think i have said this before but just in case i'll say it again

before aussiefrogs (5+ years ago) i always liked cits but was always scared off them by people telling me horror stories about how much they were to keep on the road

now the same stories can be told and often are for pugs as well but i was bought up in a pug family

i have been working in and around my own pugs for years and nothing phases me with them and having looked a lot closer at cits and done a little work on them i find them very easy (also having quite a good hydraulics background also helps )

anyway since i have been on this forum i find myself quite often in the cit area having a look around and many a time i have hinted at one day grabbing a CX or maybe even a plastic fantastic BX and that time will come and i do look forward to it

both marques are brilliant in their own ways it just comes down to what you want out of the car at the end of the day

the reason i like the CX is too me it is a cit version of the 604

very maligned and for no damn good reason yet they are probably the most comfortable cars on the road

the Si should be a good Missus car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

The only thing that would put me off getting a 205 is the useless storage space and having 2doors .... The Si would definatly be the one I'd look at ... Show me a GTi that hasn't been thrashed within an inch of it's life and I'll show you a very unique car.

Citroens expensive ?? I run a 20year old Turbo charged Citroen that from all appearances has never had it's head off let alone a 'rebuild' of any sort. unreliable bloody heaps of sh!t they are. Show me a Saab or Ovlov turbo (or N/A) car that can claim that.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

al

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    The only thing that would put me off getting a 205 is the useless storage space and having 2doors ....
    2 doors, fair enough - but that bit about useless storage space is a load of shit.

These things swallow so much more than other "big" cars - yesterday i got an entire outdoor setting and four chairs into the back of my car...

Fair enough about them being thrashed though... It would be a waste not to though.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information