Dumped my 307 .....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Dumped my 307 .....

Hi all,

Traded the 307 (HDI) in two weeks ago on a new VW Golf TDI. After a test drive of the new VW and the new 307 I thought there was no comparison as to which was the better car. Not quite as good economy but fine but the quality of the vehicle is chalk and cheese. That electronically operated dual clutch 6 speed gearbox (sequential change) is a dream.

I have always owned Pugs (504's ans 505's) and this probably influenced my decison to buy the 307 however feel a bit let down really. The rattles, the road noise, suspension thumps and finally a broken windscreen after hitting a pot hole. They are just not put together well that made me worry about there longevity (Re-sale value as well) so decided to jump ship.

Anyway I still have the much loved 504 and continue to be an AF enthuisiast.

Advertisement
    PJ

DSG's amazing, eh

Enjoy your new car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Congratulations on the new car, but a couple of questions.

Did you test-drive the new 1.6 HDI 307? Did you try and bargain a deal or did it not even get that far?

Did you get the 1.9 or 2.0 TDi Golf? Glad your enjoying the DSG!

Congrats once again.

i like the look of the Golf alot. nice buy.

my sister is currently looking at getting a TDI Golf or Polo... as she doesnt like the 307
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Did you test-drive the new 1.6 HDI 307? Did you try and bargain a deal or did it not even get that far?

Did you get the 1.9 or 2.0 TDi Golf? Glad your enjoying the DSG!
    Yes I did drive test drive the 1.6 HDI. There is no doubt it has a lot more go than the non intercooler 8V 2.0 litre in my old car. Better economy too. However other than a few cosmetic changes to the interior and grill you still have the same body with the same build quality issues. The only deal they were offering was throwing in a set of alloy wheels. No reduction in price. Upped my trade in price at one stage. Did not drive the the 2.0 litre intercooled motor version but still same car. VW Golf same price as 2.0 litre 307 version. VW have free rego, free green slip, and free service's for 3 years. By free I mean I pay nothing at all! That ... plus the huge quality difference in the vehicle was the real issue.

I have the 2.0 litre TDI. More advanced engine. By the way the Golf TDI with DSG gearbox does same time as 2.0 litre petrol with manual gearbox from 0-100km/hr. (9.3 seconds). Quite a remarkable vehicle.
    PJ

1000+ Posts

For sure.

Did you have to pay dealer delivery on the Golf? I assume from your post that you did not. I had not realised this was included in the deal.

I've not driven the 2.0 TDI, but a friend did. And Goddamn, with 320Nm on tap, whats not to like!?

No wonder VW sold 1088 Golf's last month (see car sales thread in Toad Pond if interested in comparisons).

For sure.

Did you have to pay dealer delivery on the Golf? I assume from your post that you did not. I had not realised this was included in the deal.

I've not driven the 2.0 TDI, but a friend did. And Goddamn, with 320Nm on tap, whats not to like!?

No wonder VW sold 1088 Golf's last month (see car sales thread in Toad Pond if interested in comparisons).
    No they had a special on these cars until 30 November. To get rid of 05 stock. Still bought a car with 10/05 build date, delivered on 9/12/2005.

To get the colour 307 we liked we were told we had to wait until March 2006!
    PJ

Comiserations on your purchase; from a purely French enthusiasts point of view. It is a pity you felt let down by Peugeot. A prize the VW mob should cherish close to their hearts I hope. I do hope you enjoy your new car and it gives you hours of endless joy and I sencerely hope the after-sales service is up to scratch.

No where is Australdi...she asked for cotroversy from the Pug/Cit side of the pond...here it is Di!!!!

HKP gets out trusty ringside seat,(saves Di a space) esky ice, and bottle of W'turkey and some Pepsi and awaits the arrival of the "Golfs are superior" mob in full song.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Congrats on your new car. I really like the new golfs. I know a chick at work that is selling her 307 too. (owned it for about 18-20 months and has already been in for 10 repairs, including a replacement engine.) luckily it's all been under warranty, but she's just fed up with all the issues. She is also looking at a Golf.

I am not going to make a comment on this forum about the reliability and build quality of German made cars compared to some other err marque's err I am of course refering to err Korean...not french..
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

nJm

I absolutely loved the Golf 2.0 TDI! The one I drove was a manual, and it certainly didn't have a typically French floppy gearbox. Nice and precise. That torque can get you into a lot of trouble (I let it rev to 2500rpm and accidently ended up at 90 in a 50 zone), and it reminded me slightly of the acceleration of the early WRXs.

My parents bought a Golf 2.0 FSI and I can tell you now that the TDI is noticably faster on the road (diesels never get truely reflective 0-100k times).

I like to think of the Golf as a modern day old school French car - roomy, refined, reliable, and fun to drive.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

A friend of mine bought one of the previous Golfs (Mark IV, I think ). Anyway, it's a 2 Litre Sport, and I find the seats very hard and it seems to crash over bumps, unlike my 205 Then again, the interior doesn't rattle like mine does either

I don't know what the new Golfs are like, but I have heard good things about them. Hopefully your's brings you many happy years of motoring
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Fellow Frogger!

An intersting point is that the current 2L PD TDI engine will be replaced in a couple of years with an even more advanced common rail diesel. More power, more torque, less fuel used.

I see all the traitors have congregated in this thread.

All i can say is, you're definitely not French car fans, let alone fans of any specific French marque.

If you were true fans, you'd buy their cars, no matter what downsides are involved and you'd continue to swear by their cars and deny all downsides.

That is the behaviour of a true French car fan.
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    I see all the traitors have congregated in this thread.

All i can say is, you're definitely not French car fans, let alone fans of any specific French marque.

If you were true fans, you'd buy their cars, no matter what downsides are involved and you'd continue to swear by their cars and deny all downsides.

That is the behaviour of a true French car fan.
    Is that why your Shaguar is no longer in your signature?

Is that why your Shaguar is no longer in your signature?
    hahaha. I'm no fan of the Jaguar... I bought it for the "image" that was associated with it

But since it's a Citroen forum, no point in having Jaguar in my signature..

It's already falling apart, numerous transmission faults popping up on the notification screen... won't go into 4th gear from 3rd and the dealer wants $16,500 to repair it!
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    No where is Australdi...she asked for cotroversy from the Pug/Cit side of the pond...here it is Di!!!!

HKP gets out trusty ringside seat,(saves Di a space) esky ice, and bottle of W'turkey and some Pepsi and awaits the arrival of the "Golfs are superior" mob in full song.
    ta HKP....but what's with the pepsi!!??? & what's with all the puggys agreeing ..where's the blood & guts? ....its...its....its still nice the only things being thrown are compliments...uga, I never thought I'd ever say this, but we are obviously part of a dying breed...next we'll find out that the french are chatting to forigners in english!!! what is the world coming too
    BTW, Peter...If I was you I would have dumped the 307 too but I would have bought an RSM instead

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

i drove the 2.0 TDI aswell as an FSI prior to buying the C4 and although it is definetly zippier, i found the car really boring and bland. The interior felt like i was sitting in a jail...everything is so dark and gloomy - hard and square. the seats felt like i was sitting on a park bench and the led's reminded me of DOS. The idling sound of the engine (as with all diesel engines) was very annoying to me....sounded like a truck. I can see how it can appeal to some people though.
    It really is a car thats very purposeful (is there such a word?) and is there to do what a car is supposed to do and nothing more.
    C4 Exclusive 2.0l Blanc Banquise

Quote Originally Posted by sim0n
    i drove the 2.0 TDI aswell as an FSI prior to buying the C4 and although it is definetly zippier, i found the car really boring and bland. The interior felt like i was sitting in a jail...everything is so dark and gloomy - hard and square. the seats felt like i was sitting on a park bench and the led's reminded me of DOS. The idling sound of the engine (as with all diesel engines) was very annoying to me....sounded like a truck. I can see how it can appeal to some people though.
    It really is a car thats very purposeful (is there such a word?) and is there to do what a car is supposed to do and nothing more.
    So the seats in the new Golfs are hard as well.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

I could have bought Bora or Golf, i know they are supposed to be more reliable, but Pug 206 GTI is so much more fun to drive.Its always good to have that excitment of not knowing will your car make it to the end of the trip, you can get that with Golfs .

Yeah, and Uga is right, shame on you traitors
    '03 206 GTI

Peter J: I can relate to the 307 --> Golf upgrade. We traded our 1.6 307 on a 2.0 FSI Golf earlier this year and yes, the difference is chalk and cheese. I expected the Golf to be better built, but I was really suprised by how much of a better drive it is. Perfectly weighted steering, excellent but firm damping, neutral handling.

I can see how they are selling so many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Peter J: I can relate to the 307 --> Golf upgrade. We traded our 1.6 307 on a 2.0 FSI Golf earlier this year and yes, the difference is chalk and cheese. I expected the Golf to be better built, but I was really suprised by how much of a better drive it is. Perfectly weighted steering, excellent but firm damping, neutral handling.

I can see how they are selling so many of them.
    Just to make Australdi happy,

I personally think (and I've said this before) that the Golf is uglier than a hat full of @#$%holes, it's boring and the steering is FAR from perfectly weighted. Maybe the steering on the GTI or FSI is better, but I was very unimpressed with it on the 2.0 TDI.

It does have a very nice manual gearbox though, and shocking AM reception.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon10 WARNING! this post may contain traces of nuts.

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!

Now that's more like it!!!

Aus
    plus vive la francaise!!! "whoop whoop"
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

We looked at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Golf 1.6 was high on the shortlist - so much to like about it - great all-round package which did everything quite well, but C4 SX did a few key things better and was overall a slightly better drive. Plus the base Golf just didn't entice with its presence and would have cost several thousand dollars more, more than wiping out any theoretical advantage in retained value.

So happily half frog we remain, although if anyone asked me what the best 1.6 hatch to buy was.....
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Just to make Australdi happy,

I personally think (and I've said this before) that the Golf is uglier than a hat full of @#$%holes, it's boring and the steering is FAR from perfectly weighted. Maybe the steering on the GTI or FSI is better, but I was very unimpressed with it on the 2.0 TDI.

It does have a very nice manual gearbox though, and shocking AM reception.
    Aah, this could be a matter of perspective though

The styling? Some might see the benefit of conservative looks. Blending in can be seen as advantageous. The steering might feel different with different tyres, of which it seems you could get any of about 4 or 5 different types when ordering a Golf. Ours has Michelin Energy's (Euro spec rear, Aus spec front), what tyres did the one that you drove have? I did hesitate when I wrote 'perfectly weighted steering', but after driving the 307 and the BX - it is a revelation. Perhaps after a 206 180 it might not feel as great.

Thats not to say the steering is the reason we bought the Golf though. The primary reasons were space, practicality and comfort. It just fit things inside much more comfortably than others in the class.

The stereo is very disappointing, but I won't admit to listening to AM stations

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!

Now that's more like it!!!

Aus
    plus vive la francaise!!! "whoop whoop"
    Whoop whoop?..... what,...how old are you!?... what a dag. . - Chris

PS, traitors!!.... just like me. I hated having my ever so head turning, police attracting, cussin' head nodin pug.

pps hows that for trouble, askin Aus her age.... lol
    ... ptui!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information