P76 Awards for mediocrity
  • Register
  • Help

Default P76 Awards for mediocrity

Was very tempted to post this in humour..

Advertisement

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/the-...829714408.html
    Xsara VTS (04)

Fellow Frogger!

Well reading that proves the P76 was beter than a lot of modern cars!

Graelin

WLB

Default A bit harsh on the P76

Did any of these people ever drive a new one? It was no 504, but it was also a very big car. Compare it with the equivalent Falcon, Kingswood or Valiant; there was a huge gap. (And not just the one where the rain got in).
    What was wrong with the P76 was build quality and the state of the parent of the company that built it; not the basic design.

You only have to read Evan Green's "A boot full of right arms" to see what the car could do when build quality wasn't a factor.

Hmm, perhaps I should start up the Tony Davis award for automotive journalistic mediocrity, based on his bookwriting ability being fairly similar to the P76. That being a good idea ending up flawed in its execution.

His current Lemon series of books being written more for entertainment, which is fine, but there seems to be little regard for the correctness of facts. The Renault in Australia book which he co-wrote with his father Pedr book being another case. When I wrote to Marque Publishing correcting a great number of errors in the book, and querying why they just regurgitated slabs of text from another one of their books with seemingly little effort spent on research, I received a letter back saying the book was written more for general information and not for enthusiasts. I was quite surprised that he seemed to have little regard for information in the book actually being correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Hmm, perhaps I should start up the Tony Davis award for automotive journalistic mediocrity, based on his bookwriting ability being fairly similar to the P76. That being a good idea ending up flawed in its execution.

His current Lemon series of books being written more for entertainment, which is fine, but there seems to be little regard for the correctness of facts. The Renault in Australia book which he co-wrote with his father Pedr book being another case. When I wrote to Marque Publishing correcting a great number of errors in the book, and querying why they just regurgitated slabs of text from another one of their books with seemingly little effort spent on research, I received a letter back saying the book was written more for general information and not for enthusiasts. I was quite surprised that he seemed to have little regard for information in the book actually being correct.

As they say "Never let the truth spoil a good story"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Did any of these people ever drive a new one? It was no 504, but it was also a very big car. Compare it with the equivalent Falcon, Kingswood or Valiant; there was a huge gap. (And not just the one where the rain got in).
    What was wrong with the P76 was build quality and the state of the parent of the company that built it; not the basic design.

You only have to read Evan Green's "A boot full of right arms" to see what the car could do when build quality wasn't a factor.
    Yes

Thankyou

I owned two of these magnificent cars as did my parents.

These cars were far ahead of the opposition in design and were released too early because of the demand for some cars to sell by the dealers trying to make do with Austin Kimberlies, Tasmans and Marinas.

This rush may have had something to do with the initial quality control problems.

Evan Green showed how good they were in the Targa Floria.

It is easy to criticise cars where their is no company to sue for damaging its reputation.

The basic design was very good and the driving dynamics were so far in front of the big three.

This car had the highest Australian design content of the time and a real pity those designers were not recognised and rewarded for their skills and knowledge. Instead they are derided and suffer endless jokes from those who probably never owned or even drove one.

I do laugh when I read " Nothing Drives Like a Fowlcan" True true true nothing does.

Graelin

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Simon

Yes it depends on the aim of the book I suppose. I thoroughly enjoyed both Lemon books even though there were some glaring errors in the chapters on cars I knew well. I don't mind exaggeration for the sake of humour or emphasis, but it's not good in a text that appears to convey knowledge and to inform.

Quote Originally Posted by ry205

The article made me laugh at a few of the incidents listed, all too few of them referred to the P76, passed one yesterday parked near Darling station, seemed in good nic;

When Jaguar's XK coupe concept was driven onto the stage at the Detroit motor show amid Hollywood-style razzamatazz, audience members noticed that only one headlight was working. Jaguar's chief designer Ian Callum immediately announced that: "This car represents the very essence of Jaguar, its heart and soul", and nobody felt the need to argue. Callum also said the ALC concept looked good simply standing still, which in a Jaguar is always handy.

For identifying who is buying four-wheel-drives: Toyota

The new Toyota HiLux's catchcry "Get in or get out of the way" is another illumination of the real target market for 4WDs. The brochures promised "intimidating styling", an "aggressive bonnet scoop", "dominating moulded front bumpers" and various other things.

Not since Jeep ran slogans such as "Give Way - Not" have we seen such obnoxiousness, though some came close this year. A Honda 4WD commercial used the slogan: "CR-V - more intimidating than ever", while Hyundai marketed the Tucson soft-roader with the slogan "Own This City".

Dishonourable mentions

* The only car in Subaru's Australian range not to benefit from side airbags is the fastest, most sports-oriented model: the WRX STi.

* Porsche announced that it would produce the four-door Panamera from 2009 and, at the same Frankfurt press conference, gave details of a forthcoming hybrid version of the Porsche Cayenne. When a journalist asked whether the newly announced Cayman coupe would eventually be available with a turbo engine, Porsche boss Dr Wendelin Wiedeking snapped back "we do not discuss future model plans".

* The JiangLing Landwind, displayed at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show and slated to be the first Chinese vehicle on sale in Europe, underwent European crash tests and recorded a score of zero. German automobile club ADAC (a Euro NCAP-approved tester) announced "In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly". Presumably the Landwind will be popular with BASE jumpers and ultra-light aircraft devotees.

* Hyundai pitched its Getz model to television audiences to the tune Zippety Doo-Dah, best known to Australians as the jingle for Victa lawn-mower ads. A two-stroke of genius from ad-land.

* What do Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar and Saab all have in common? Their sales have either remained stationary or are going backwards despite the strongest new car market in history. Perhaps it's because they're all owned by those masters of the prestige car market, the Americans.

* Ross McKenzie, head marketing honcho at Holden quipped that Saab was the company "with more models than customers". Saab is a sister brand of Holden. McKenzie is retiring at the end of the year. We'll miss his candour.

These awards proudly take their name from the Leyland P76, a car that was designed to save the struggling Leyland Australia operation but managed to help bring about its end within 15 months of launch. As anyone associated with the build quality could attest, the car's advertising slogan, "Anything but Average", was spot on.
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Quote Originally Posted by ry205

you should have posted it in humour.

Great read
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

Thread Information