Lost my virginity....... to the Clyde Mtn Pass
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 Lost my virginity....... to the Clyde Mtn Pass

SHE CAN HAVE ALL SHE WANTS!!!!!!

Went for a run from Canberra to Batemans yesterday along the Kings Highway. Holy moly is that road good or what?? Just love that climb back up the Clyde Mountain pass. Never done it before - I AM IN LOVE!!!!!

The "Holden Posse" ( ) have a death wish with the amount of overtaking they like to do but just sit back and wait for the corners and guess what, there I am behind them again!!

Advertisement

So - ACT+Sthn NSW Crew, when she we make a date to head the Clyde again????

GIDDY UP!
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

al

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man
    SHE CAN HAVE ALL SHE WANTS!!!!!!

Went for a run from Canberra to Batemans yesterday along the Kings Highway. Holy moly is that road good or what?? Just love that climb back up the Clyde Mountain pass. Never done it before - I AM IN LOVE!!!!!
    That road scared the shit out of me when i did it earlier in the year... (Even though i had left batemans so the prospect of being carjacked by a nasty bogan was gone)

How insanely steep and twisty is it? That is definately the freakiest stretch of road i have driven in Aus...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Hi,

It's a pretty sweet road, hey! A word of caution though, when you head over the top of the Clyde, the cops love to sit of to the side in the big gravel area. Especially when your heading towards Batemans Bay, because it turns into a 70 zone about 1km before you get to the summit, and that's straight after an overtaking zone. I've seen 15 cars pulled off the side of the road there!

It is an amazing piece of road though, especially now that they have redone most of it!

Cheers

Alex
    Now: No Frogs at the moment
    Before:1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16
    Dream Car: TVR Sagaris, in Iced Titanium thank you!

UFO

I still prefer a non interrupted run up or down Brown Mt between Nimmitabel and Bemboka
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon7

Mmmm, Elephant Pass.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Fellow Frogger!

Try the Bonang Hwy north from Orbost if you want a twisty road

Quote Originally Posted by al
    How insanely steep and twisty is it? That is definately the freakiest stretch of road i have driven in Aus...
    What about the Sideling, Weldborough Pass, St Mary's Pass and Elephant Pass in North Tas - anyone able to compare?
    Simple Simon

306 GTi6 in Tassie - what a combo

I think we should definitely organise a drive with the ACT boys and possibly meet up with some Sydney/NSW people at the other end (Batemans) and go from there. For me though, it will have to be in the new year.
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

That road scared the shit out of me when i did it earlier in the year... (Even though i had left batemans so the prospect of being carjacked by a nasty bogan was gone)

It's a nasty stretch of road as the actual descent doesn't end until you're just about at the water. It's nothing like Brown Mountain or Macquarie Pass because of that fact. On the latter two you leave the tableland drop down the escarpment onto the coastal plain, not such bad fun and over fairly quickly..at the Clyde, there is no coastal plain to drop to, you just follow the very long ridge down to Nelligen, then up again until you finally drop into the Bay.

Plus you have the ACT driver problem. Some sage sprayed the back of one of the road signs as you leave Nelligen with the astute observation that "ACT drivers are mad bastards". The level of traffic on Friday through to Monday morning in summer is very high, and unfortunately people get very frustrated and take stupid risks.

There have been a lot of people killed along that road.

The other bit is you need to have your cooling system in some sort of very good order. In summer the last climb out of Clyde is usually littered with cars at the side of the road with their bonnets raised. Even back in May (the last time I went down and back) people were still boiling on the way up.

Back in the days when I used to swan around the country in a Government Foulcan I used to delight in locking the auto in second and just spinning the wheels on every one of those hairpin turns going up from the Bay. Harmless fun...never would do it to one of my own cars though. Never buy a car at a Government auction...you never know which loonie has flogged it to death in frustration with their public service job.

Last edited by BogMaster; 13th December 2005 at 02:11 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

It's a nasty stretch of road as the actual descent doesn't end until you just about at the water. It's nothing like Brown Mountain or Macquarie Pass becasue of that fact.

Place you have the ACT driver problem. Some sage sprayed the back of one of the road signs as you leave Nelligen with the astute observation that "ACT drivers are mad bastards".

There have been a lot of people killed along that road.

Back in the days when I used to swan around the country in a Government Foulcan I used to delight in locking the auto in second and just spinning the wheels on every one of those hairpin turns going up from the Bay. Harmless fun...never would do it to one of my own cars though. Never buy a car at a Government auction...you never know which loonie has flogged it to death in frustration with their public service jon.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

I agree Stu, fantastic stretch of road. Best without the 4WD's towing huge boats in the way though!

We should definately organise a run down there in the new year, be great to have a line of Pugs heading over the Clyde!

Cheers
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

I did quite a few of those roads (incl imlay rd) a week ago... on the bike
    Don't get stuck behind anyone.

/adds another road to "the list"

Thread Information