Buying warranty
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Buying warranty

Default Buying warranty

Guys are those warranties that you can buy for your car (engine, gerabox, etc) worth it? Or are they waste of money? And does anybody know of any good ones?

And does anybody know if warranty could be bought from PAA? Car that im buying is 2003 model and its warranty run out this year. It has only done 19 000kms so im wondering if its possible.

Advertisement

PAA will only offer the extended warranty while the car is still under warranty. You need to read the fine print on these types of products. While PAA offer it, it is actually underwritten by a third party insurance company and there are many things that aren't covered. A real case of "let the buyer beware".
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Ok so i can get that warranty that is offered by PAA. Do you know of any other good ones? They usually cover engine and gearbox, which is all i need really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavle
    They usually cover engine and gearbox, which is all i need really.
    Engine and gearbox are probably the most reliable parts in a car and wouldn't need extended warranty. In Peugeot's case it would be all the computerised stuff that I be looking to get covered. As I said read the fine print. Just because it says the engine is covered, the fine print may say the ECU isn't, which when you think about it is critical to any modern car's engine - can't run with out one.

As for others, try Googling and see what you come up with.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Well car im getting had all the latest software updates and i hope that will be enough. I guess i can hope that dealer where the car was bought the first time might help me if software problems arise.

But will try to get warranty on engine though.

Icon4

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    A real case of "let the buyer beware".
    ...agree

get hold of the documentation and read the fine print. you'll probably find that they will only contribute to the repair i.e. up to $500.00 per claim say on a gearbox, which may run out to several thousand dollars - they will (possibly) also nominate the repairer. They will also require the car is at all times fully serviced at or before prescribed intervals, and that the claim will only be honoured if it is genuine failure of a componant(s) not what may be deemed as general wear and tear. Not always the case, but I have seen some shockers

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pavle
    Ok so i can get that warranty that is offered by PAA. Do you know of any other good ones? They usually cover engine and gearbox, which is all i need really.
    Note that there are third party companies that offer warranties on vehicles, I am looking into getting it when my warranty runs out in march 06. PM and i'll see what I scrounge up.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

If you find one worth having let me know; I've been looking for about 25 years without succes, but there must be one there somewhere.
    When one of my sons bought a Lancer a few years ago, I got the price reduced a few hundred because I wouldn't cop a Claytons warranty.
    Since then he's done about 50K klms and in that time we've fixed the air/con and redone the front suspension neither of which would have been under warranty and total costs have been under $500.
    To me, these 'warranties' are nothing more than a licence for repairers to get their hooks into your wallet. My suggestion would be to find a good honest repairer, get him to do the work, keep the car regularly serviced and you'll be thousands in front.
    When I see some of the prices some owners have to pay for "routine service" just to maintain their "warranty" I shudder in disbelief. To me getting suckered into one of them would be almost akin to giving a bank robber the PIN number to your bank account.(ie) When he feels he wants some more money, he just takes it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Agree - not worth the paper they are printed on. A friend bought a 95 Saab 900 and hod a few problems that were ignored by the "warrenty" she paid $1000 for...

Things like clutch hydraulics dying, accessory belt tensioner failing and taking the belt with it. All annoying and expesive things that would be covered by a normal warrenty

Thread Information