OEM Cit Xsara 1998 Stereo/Head Unit ???
  • Register
  • Help

Default OEM Cit Xsara 1998 Stereo/Head Unit ???

What did Citroen use as the original unit in the Xsara, 1998 sedans?
    Ours has a VDO Dayton unit with a 6 stacker. The in-car unit has decided it no longer wants to display naything on the screen!
    2 questions....Did the original unit have a cd-changer capability?
    ...................Are many after-market units compatible with the steering wheel controls?
    (this VDO unit is apparently worth $2000+, has GPS but doesn't support the controls??)

If the original unit supports a cd-changer we may refit one of these.

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    What did Citroen use as the original unit in the Xsara, 1998 sedans?
    Ours has a VDO Dayton unit with a 6 stacker. The in-car unit has decided it no longer wants to display naything on the screen!
    2 questions....Did the original unit have a cd-changer capability?
    ...................Are many after-market units compatible with the steering wheel controls?
    My 2000 model Xsara came new with a Sony headunit. Must have been locally fitted because all the steering wheel controls were wired up wrong, but the dealer fixed that easily. I remember there was stacker input on this headunit, I was looking at getting a stacker but never really got around to it.

Troy.

Thanks Troy.
    So you're saying the controls didn't work originally anyway?
    That'd not be too much of a hassle, I have seen some on a site for a stereo palce in Sydney that are compatible with remotes.
    Cheers

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Thanks Troy.
    So you're saying the controls didn't work originally anyway?
    That'd not be too much of a hassle, I have seen some on a site for a stereo palce in Sydney that are compatible with remotes.
    Cheers
    No the controls worked, it was just that all functions were mixed up. ie changing the volume up would change the station, changing the station up would mute and so on. The dealer did some rewiring of the controls and then the buttons then did their advertised roles.

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xsara stereo

Our 2000 Xsara has a Eurovox head unit -it was a cassette/radio unit which was a disappointing level of technology. We rang Eurovox and they could supply a 10 stack unit. The single lead plugs into the head unit.
    Voila! The steering wheel buttons continue to operate all features (including stacker).

Thanks David.
    Thats another avenue. Did the head unit and stacker come a s apackage or are they seprable, as in will it run another stacker.
    Actually, how much was the package?

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Fellow Frogger!

Default stacker

The stacker was $400 from Eurovox who are located at Rowville in Melb. I rang a Citroen dealer who wanted $1200 to put in a CD playing head unit. No thanks!!!
    I did some (not a lot) of checking around with some ICE mobs and I could not get a guarantee that the steering wheel controls would work with an aftermarket head unit. My wife felt these controls were a nice touch that she wanted retained. So on checking the sound system manual we contacted Eurovox because they gave us the guarantee. It probably wasn't the cheapest fix but it was the neatest, quickest way to go. Given the Citroen dealer's price a "comparatively" cheap fix.
    The head unit and stacker are independent. We had the head unit as OE on the car we had just bought 2nd hand in Feb this year. With just 30Kkms we wanted to keep the new feeling as it's the youngest car we have ever owned. The stacker/HU
    work well together. We love it. Love the Xsara,too!
    Last edited by David M; 7th December 2005 at 08:34 PM.

I'll see if I can find out what model the Sony headunit is.

Troy.

Thanks guys.
    Always easier to talk to those who have done it rather than go in blind, particularly when it concerns a French Car. If we can't get the VDO repaired easily, after I try reloading the software(which I doubt it is), it will be on it's nerry way. Should be able to get a nice head unit that'll match up with the 6 stacker for what the GPS is worth I hope(crossed-finger smiley again)

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    I'll see if I can find out what model the Sony headunit is.

Troy.
    It's a Sony XR-C5100. Most likely long since discontinued (it's a tape unit), but it might be useful for reference.

Troy.

Thread Information