Geelong Rd Speed cameras Operate BUT
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon13 Geelong Rd Speed cameras Operate BUT

With great fanfare recently the Geelong Road and Westgate Bridge static speed cameras started operating.

Advertisement

So today when I drove to Geelong I was careful not to add to the the give me funds so I can get elected again slush fund of Steve Bracks - sorry Safety Cameras, I was pretty peeved that on the way back the speed check indicators were NOT working so you can't check your speedo.

The signs that normally indicate the point at which your speed is checked are covered in black plastic (out of sight out of mind mentality?)

I was particularly interested in checking our vehicles cruise control setting at 100kph - as the last time my wife drove through those working? signs with 100 kph on the cruise control, the signs said she was doing 94kph!!!

Now these overhead speed indicators are a real joke - the majority of them around Melbourne have not been operating for months and when they do they are so far out it is no JOKE, yet this same Government expects us to trust that the speed cameras ARE accurate.

Steve I challenge you to prove once and for all that you can get that technology accurate, or if NOT please put visible speed indicators on those new speed cameras so at least we can challenge the accuracy of those devices.

If you can't get one lot of technology accurate and available you can't expect us to trust your other equipment, just because you you and your mates say it is.

Or have you turned off the only checking devices available to us to boost your catch rate with the new cameras.

UFO

Ken

I understand your frustration, but a speedo that reads over is surely a benefit. I have satnav now and have checked all my vehicles against it. I can now cruise to Sydney in 110 zones with the speedo showing 120 as I know I am on speed. I zoom past other cars and have passed radar cops without the blink of an eye (or camera).

An SM I drove recently showed 125km/h when 110 was held according to the GPS.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Default Thats one of the issues of course!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Ken

I understand your frustration, but a speedo that reads over is surely a benefit. I have satnav now and have checked all my vehicles against it. I can now cruise to Sydney in 110 zones with the speedo showing 120 as I know I am on speed. I zoom past other cars and have passed radar cops without the blink of an eye (or camera).

An SM I drove recently showed 125km/h when 110 was held according to the GPS.
    UFO

Yep and I suppose I can afford to buy a Sat Nav for my cars as well, but then that leaves the battlers holding the can and presently it is not the speeders, its the workers that can least afford either the fine or the Sat Nav that are creeping over the basic limit and contributing to this Governments coffers.

If Bracks had a human heart he would have acceded to our Road Safety Council request years ago for free speed checks sufficient to cover every speed zone, just so those that have to use cars and want to comply have the means to readily and regularly check their speedos.

They won't even consider running a display sign on the actual cameras which would be much, much fairer, but open the fiasco cameras up for instant and fair scrutiny.

They can't or wont do anything about getting the existing speed indicators operating let alone accurate which I bet they won't mention in their current spending of millions in advertising to pat themselves on the back and where did the money come from??

Motorists never get an even break, but I for one would like to see them do something for the motorist in the name of real safety, not this phoney system.

Yep I just might buy a Sat Nav and I'm all right Jack! for the rest of you!

1000+ Posts

I agree Ken, although its not just 'battlers' who suffer. 3km/h tolerance is a farce. Its blatant revenue raising, and it makes life much harder for the police, who have to deal with increased hositility from motorists who have been shafted.

The fact that there is no evidence that drivers are slowing down (fine revenue is going up and up) seems to indicate that motorists are not convinced that speed limits are an accurate reflection of driving safely.

I've taken this issue up with every state government minister I've met , and at the end of the day, it ends (like gambling) in a "well we have to get the money from somewhere" sort of discussion. With GST revenue through the roof though, it does make me though! Grr

If they took driver training seriously in this state (country?) then I'd perhaps have more time for their harsh measures. Also, if there was a consistent critereon published for motorists that gave a good idea of what conditions are required for certain speed limits. The way it is, its impossible to judeg what the speed limit will be on a road. Technically, they should have a speed limit sign after each intersection too IMHO (if they are going to keep this 3km/h tolerance).

EDIT: Every time I have been caught speeding (twice, 105 in 100 zone - first AF cruise, and 67 in 60 zone - domain at 4am tunnel when roadworks were on apparrantly, no evidence) its been bollocks.

But there have certainly been times when I have probably deserved a bit of a kick up the arse for certain driving episodes... Think of it as a tax I guess. Like any tax, there are ways of avoding it though......
    Last edited by Sergetov; 6th December 2005 at 12:51 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    I was particularly interested in checking our vehicles cruise control setting at 100kph - as the last time my wife drove through those working? signs with 100 kph on the cruise control, the signs said she was doing 94kph!!!
    Speedos always over-read a bit and have a margin built in to prevent them ever under-reading (which is illegal in the UK and probably here too). There are lots of variables, afterall even tyre pressure temperature and the amout of tread affect tyre diameter and hence road speed for given revs/gear.
    The margin can vary quite a bit between cars though so worth checking with a GPS unit.
    unfrogged (for now)

Two points.

1. Those speed check thingies are all very well but there is a weaselly sign on them saying they are advisory only. The speed cameras themselves are anything but advisory, while the only thing they give mug punters to check their speed has no legal standing. They want it both ways. (And they only put them on roads that radiate out of Melbourne; I travel cross country a lot and hardly ever go near them.)

2. You don't need satnav to check your speed. I just use a watch with a sweep second hand to time how long it takes to get from one 5km post to the next. At a steady 100 km/h it should be 3 minutes.

Roger

1000+ Posts

Default Thats o.k. if the road crew that put them in......

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson
    Two points.

1. Those speed check thingies are all very well but there is a weaselly sign on them saying they are advisory only. The speed cameras themselves are anything but advisory, while the only thing they give mug punters to check their speed has no legal standing. They want it both ways. (And they only put them on roads that radiate out of Melbourne; I travel cross country a lot and hardly ever go near them.)

2. You don't need satnav to check your speed. I just use a watch with a sweep second hand to time how long it takes to get from one 5km post to the next. At a steady 100 km/h it should be 3 minutes.

Roger
    Thanks Roger, that's assuming the original road crew weren't suffering a hangover or whatever - "Just put the thing anywhere, no one will know the difference!! day!

There used to be a measured KM on one of our freeways placed there by the Police workshops to road test their cars after re-calibration, but some ****** painted over them a few years ago

I would just prefer that the majority of speed cameras display the speeds for all to see, at then least you could check that with your speedo reading and have some chance of argueing the toss at court - but that would be reasonable justice wouldn't it!! - and they would rather you just paid up blindly rather than go to court!!

Why give a sucker an even break when we want the revenue - oh yes in the name of safety - absolves all our sins.

1000+ Posts

Default gee that was neat!

I see if you type in ****** it goes to series of ******'s I wonder if w space a space n space k space e space r does the same automatically Great stuff Well done mod's. Never noticed that before!!

Default Speed cameras etc

Hi Ken,
    when I was coming back from Ballarat a couple of years ago, in my falcon, the roadside speed indicator thing said I was going at 94/95kph when my speedo in the car read right on 100kph.
    I thought this was a good thing, because it meant that if I kept to the speed limit in my car, according to my speedo, I'd never ever get a fine.
    There might be some truth in the saying, " if you don't go over you won't get booked" .
    Cheers....George 1/8th

Default Measured kilometer

Hi all,

Talk to your local rally drivers / navigators, they set up measured distances so they can check their navigation gear.

There is one in Box Hill South in Melbourne, but I have forgotten the markers, it's been many years since I rallied.
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Tim I agree entirely with your post, even to the point of also having had 2 BS "only just over" speeding fines. I thought they a) weren't allowed to park on footpaths and b) 30m of flat road after 200m of reasonably steep downhill apparently makes the hill go away. Sorry for being a bit obtuse in my descriptions but I am a bit frustrated with it...

1000+ Posts

Default Road to Sydney is working But..

Drove up to Echuca

and found that the speed indicator check is at last working North of Melbourne on the Sydney Highway.

Due to previous checks set the cruise control at steady indicated 112 in the 110 zone and what came up 104 km! - now from my calculations and testing this should not be correct if the speedo is constant through its range as my previous testing indicated that it was only slightly conservative at 40,50,60,80, - i.e if I clicked in the exact speed I was actually doing between two and three km under the limit, which suited me.

Now previous checks on the Ballarat Highway a few months back were consistent that at 100 indicated I would have that margin of error in my favour, now if my wifes experience with speedo on 100 and overhead indicating 94 this latitude had grown to enormous proportions.

Not only that but at 100 even the trucks on Geelong Road passed me - not that, that worries me as there are plenty of lanes, but on a two lane highway I don't want to foul up traffic that is moving safely and smoothly and I don't want to disrupt that flow as I happen to believe that this can be worse than speeding in terms of safe road usage.

At the same time I don't want to be part of an ever increasing and speeding traffic convoy - If only I could trust those [email protected] @dy "Advisory" speed indicators one could make an informed choice.

But then its a mechanical, electrical, radar gizmo and the speed camera is a mechanically installed and mounted electrical radar gizmo, both subject to all sorts of influences - Sigh

Over the last several years, I have driven number of new Peugeots - 206, 406 coupe & sedan, and the speedo's always overread optimistically by around 10% - so 110 kph is around 100kph in reality. It is nice to be able to use those overhead radar speed checkers, but the last few times I have driven through them both on Victorian & NSW highways, they have not been operating
    The fixed speed cameras on the Hume in southern NSW amuse me - they are well signposted & obviously they still must return the State Government money from people who somehow either fail to see the very visible signs, or perhaps just don't believe!
    John505

Thread Information