Trip Computers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Trip Computers

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default Trip Computers

has anyone ever tried fitting one of these to their car or know anything about them

cost
    who makes them and where to get them
    pitfalls

Advertisement

just general info would be great

i have never had a car with one and the thought of having one has always intrigued me
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Lots of work for very little gain. My CX has an early version of this that gives you all sorts of stats. Fuel remaining, distance to be traveled, instantanious fuel consumption (bloody terifying, you should see it spiral as you come onto full boost in 1st/2nd gear Excellent way to scare you into getting your right hoof off the accelerator ), average fuel consumption etc, etc, etc.......

You'll play with it for a couple of days then most likely never use it again. Mines been an 'inverse' trip computer since I ftted a new injection ECU. ie: the harder you drive it the less fuel it uses, however coasting with tiny amounts of throttle uses massive quantites of fuel

It's a HUGE amount of work for a toy that you'll tire of. You'll need to plumb electronics into your speedo head to measure speed, the injection ECU will need to able output the fueling at any given time. With a carby motor you'll probably need a way of measuring fuel entering the motor (most likely not possilbe). However if you upgrade to programable injection I'm sure you could pull the data out you need.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

you can buy headunits these days that has an inbuilt "vehicle dynamics processor" which tells u general info about the car....doesn't come cheap but
    C4 Exclusive 2.0l Blanc Banquise

my 505 had an Econometer which had a number of lights which came on as you pressed the loud pedal. It never lit up in economy mode always the middle or highest consumption.
    Wen the fuel gauge says E I fill it up, if I fill it too often then my wallet says E and I drive less
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    my 505 had an Econometer which had a number of lights which came on as you pressed the loud pedal. It never lit up in economy mode always the middle or highest consumption.
    Wen the fuel gauge says E I fill it up, if I fill it too often then my wallet says E and I drive less
    Econometers are "[email protected]" IMO. they are just a manifold vacuum guage ... but without the guage and no calibrations. A proper manifold guage would be prefable, but they really still don't tell you much.

My car has much the same thing, it's a needle that measures manfold vacum (or boost). No cabilbrations make it pointless really. All you can really gather is if the motor on boost or not with it ... Which is blatantly obvious anyway If it was a properly calibrated guage it would be very useful

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

farmerdave

Gotta agree with Doublechevron here, the r25 has a factory trip computer and it is just another toy. Its fun to play with the functions but unless you are doing the same type of driving all the time the averaging makes it difficult to know instantly what you are getting in terms of mileage. It does make you more aware of how your driving affects fuel consumption.
    On the r25 v6 it uses an aluminium KE type metering head and takes the fuel signal from the flap potentiometer, it would need a vane type flowmeter to work on a carbied car though.

Farmerdave

Thread Information