Pre-Purchase Inspections?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 Pre-Purchase Inspections?

Hey,

Well I think I may of found the car and all I need to do is get the "pre-purchase" inspection done, I have a few options:

1. Go to the NRMA and get it done through them, convienient as it can be done on site but im not really sure if the NRMA can pick up on Citroen specific things like the suspension?

2. Colliers at Granville - Convienient for both parties really but doesnt do the inspections on Saturdays as he is the only one there at the time - I know he does Pugs and Reno's but how good is he with a Hydraulic Cit?

3. Paul Vassallo at Gladesville - I have heard good things about this place but I called up and he said he was very busy and could only get me in one spot this week and one spot next week? Is it really worth the wait and again, how good is he with Cits?

So thats what Ive looked into - are there any other places I should check out or places which people can reccomend - Id rather it be closer to the city as it is more convienient and less hassle for both?

Any experiences?

Advertisement

Thanks heaps Froggers

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Tadpole

Hey mate,

I've only ever gone for NRMA checks when I am looking at a car and so far have had only good experiences (touch wood )

Last month I flew down to Melbourne to check out that supposedly *mint* Series 3 205 gti you may have seen advertised in the for sale forum. At the time it seemed impossible to find a series 3, even though in the past weeks about 4 have come up .

After numerous emails between me and the seller, and him assuring me about the quality of the vehicle I still decided to go for an RACV check (the Melbourne NRMA equivalent) as I'm not the most mechanically minded person. I'm bloody glad I did.

The inspection cost me only $125 and pointed discovered numerous things I wouldn't have ever found and all the ones I did eg. the flooded boot. It was very detailed and the guy even went over the car with me showing me everything he found and advised against buying it.

I recently had an NRMA inspection done ($199 for members) on a GTI 6. Once again awesome job, very detailed and he found the car to be extremely well looked after and with only very very minor things in need of fixing. So I bought the car on his advice and my impressions and I'm loving it!

From my experience the NRMA inspections are well worthwhile and the inspectors, very competent.
    BOXXD IN - Xbox & PC Lounge

www.boxxdin.com

I'd go with the NRMA check if you can get one soon enough, in my experience they're usually booked out at least 2 weeks in advance - a long time when trying to buy a good 2nd hand car. They usually get snapped up while you wait for the inspection date to come around - sure you can put a deposit but doesn't always help.

If you find NRMA is booked out for a while another option may be Sydney Vehicle Check: PO Box 153 Oatley 2223
    (02) 9153 0888

They're comparible to NRMA, but I haven't used them (nor anyone else) for a hydraulic cit.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

What's the constant worries with the hydraulics?
    If it pumps up, rides nice, stops like it's hit a brick wall and doesn't go click, click, click from under the bonnet every 3 seconds, the hydraulics are OK.
    If it has a crook hydraulic system, that's the exception not the rule and would be painfully obvious.
    Cit suspensions are so (genuinely)troublefree (forget the stories that some of the dodgy repairers have pulled on some owners) that a suspension problem of any magnitude is the exception not the rule and as proof of this, check out what the warranty on the hydraulic suspension of a C5 is these days.
    Nobody but nobody with the old style tin spring and oil tube suspension would dare to try to match it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Well there you go STALLED, get the car checked out by an independant checking service, check out the hydraulics yourself based on Alan's advice and make your decision based on the facts.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

Ahh thanks for that!

Anyone have any experiences with the mechanics?

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

You buying a silver bx16v?

I've had 2 bad experiences with nrma checks, and not finding costly faults with motors, thankfully 1 was on a hilux, and the other on a gemini....

Thread Information