importing car from NZ???
  • Register
  • Help

Default importing car from NZ???

Has anyone ever imported a car from NZ with any success? There is a BX TZI diesel that I really want for a very reasonable price near Aukland. If I could get it shipped over, I would be exstatic. It is a 91 so it may just sneak in under the 15 year thing that I've heard about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Advertisement
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

If you can prove it was built and first registered before the 31/Decemebr 1988, was the ruling when they drew up the legislation. I don't believe it is retrospective. You'd be best to read all the blurb at the Customs site. I ahven't got the webaddy any more but it is easy to find.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default importing BX

Yea, I've already gone there and they talk about the 15 year ruling, but it says the car must be built before Jan 1 1989. Last time I checked, that would make it 16 going on 17 years old. Does this mean that I can't bring in the 1991 BX or do I just have to pay more? Anyone know of a good transport company that could give me a quote. This may be for nothing as I'm not going to pay more than a couple thousand dollars to get it here. Dan.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

if its built before 1989, then its basically all sweet.
    if its built after Jan 1 1989, then you have to go through the RAWS process. which will cost afew grand.

Linkage
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Anyone know of a good transport company that could give me a quote.

Australian Vanlines are very good.
    E-mail Andy Lumb and he will point you in right direction
    Tell him I referred you [email protected]

Warren
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

1000+ Posts

Check it out with your insurance company as well before you do anything. I pay a rediculous premium because my car is privately imported. As far as I know there are only two companies that will insure you. "Just Car Insurance" and "Torque". The latter is the only of the two that will accept agreed value last time I checked.

Good luck,

Patrick

SEVS is the scheme to bring in cars newer than 1/1/89, that you have not owned overseas for more than 12 Months, but under the rules a BX would not comply to SEVS, even if it is a diesel. The rolling 15 year rule has been deleted. On top of the price of the car is 10% Import Duty and 10% GST on the price of everything. It all adds up.

I have my Alpine insured with Shannons for an agreed value, costs $665 a year. They do insurance on a lot of import cars, mostly Skylines and the like.
    In fact every vehicle I have is with Shannons.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    I have my Alpine insured with Shannons for an agreed value, costs $665 a year. They do insurance on a lot of import cars, mostly Skylines and the like.
    In fact every vehicle I have is with Shannons.
    True, Shannons will also insure, provided the vehicle is garaged and not in daily use (which you can prove if you have a fleet) - and preferably not a standard vehicle. I doubt they would insure a BX. They certainly would not go anywhere near my 605.

Default Import car

That's enough, I yield! Everyone says it is just not worth it, why couldn't they bring diesels here!!! Oh well, I've got my eye on a BX19 that has only 88K on it, I just hope it gets as good of economy as my father in laws xantia. Cheers who all chimed in about the NZ car.

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    That's enough, I yield! Everyone says it is just not worth it, why couldn't they bring diesels here!!! Oh well, I've got my eye on a BX19 that has only 88K on it, I just hope it gets as good of economy as my father in laws xantia. Cheers who all chimed in about the NZ car.
    Just out of curiosity, where is this car??

Default Bx

It's in Australia. Just kidding. If I don't buy it, my friend Peter who is also in Tassie gets the next crack as I just got off the phone with him. If he doesen't want it, your the next in line. Ironically, we were just talking about you AJ, rumour has it that you have a BX here in town. WOuld there be any way that my wife could have a sit and perhaps a drive around the block in yours. I just don't want to buy a car from the mainland and have her hate when it gets here. Let me know. Thanks, DAn.

My Alpine is for daily use with Shannons, where some of my other vehicles have a limited use policy. I find them very flexible.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Thread Information