This little Pug is staying at home
  • Register
  • Help

Default This little Pug is staying at home

A Family member paced an add in the Tasmanian issue of the "Trading post -504 for sale" received a call from a man calling himself "Isam" was prepared to buy the car unseen at full asking price, small catch wanted delivered to dockside Melbourne and money to go into bank account, He claimed he has bought other cars from Tassie but bit vague on detail to verify. Before I had been able to verify his other purchase he called back while I was out as it happened, I was to call him, seems desperate to me.
    This all seems to have a bad odour about it;
    Gullible was taken out of the dictionary wasnít it?

Advertisement

What are the scenarios others see here?
    anybody had any dealings?
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    A Family member paced an add in the Tasmanian issue of the "Trading post -504 for sale" received a call from a man calling himself "Isam" was prepared to buy the car unseen at full asking price, small catch wanted delivered to dockside Melbourne and money to go into bank account, He claimed he has bought other cars from Tassie but bit vague on detail to verify. Before I had been able to verify his other purchase he called back while I was out as it happened, I was to call him, seems desperate to me.
    This all seems to have a bad odour about it;
    Gullible was taken out of the dictionary wasnít it?

What are the scenarios others see here?
    anybody had any dealings?
    Smells like falafel and camel dung dont go there !

A story along the same lines. Had a man named ? Something like Mohammad hustif called and asked if I wanted to sell any of my Ti's. Only thing was he lived in Canberra. That and I haven't given my number to anyone here on AF. Strange huh. I knew exactly who he was and why he wanted the 50's at the time though. Thoes A rabs arnt touching my cars.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Don't worry... us Arabs have enough Poogoe's in the middle east as it is... everyone 2nd car is a bloody poogoe or renault...
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    Don't worry... us Arabs have enough Poogoe's in the middle east as it is... everyone 2nd car is a bloody poogoe or renault...
    Why else do you think they want to ship them over there?
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

I worked in Libya in 1980 and the number of 504's on the roads there was huge....

Terry

It would have most likely been put on a ship and sent to egypt as a parts car to keep there taxis on the road

Gotta say, it sounds absurd enough to ship an old car across the world (with no regards to cost) to end up as parts car, or as taxi.

Many countries (inc. Aus) have extremely high import duties, or regulations that forbid imports that are that old (even if wanted to be considered as 'classic').

New cars are almost always the cheaper option, or near new that have been in an accident. I say this, because my father imported cars into Lebanon for over than 40 years; and at times, he'd be offered free cars as parts; Usually, cars for parts, are disassembled in their originating country (in them dodgy yards) and stacked up inside containers, not shipped as whole cars for parts .

Peugeot's and Renault's, Mercedes and BMW's are in their tens of millions in the middle east; aftermarket parts (made in China most likely, or Iran) are readily available for cheap. (think 100US for low milage 504 engine, $60 for transmission, $50 for a beemer LSD). I honestly can not see how would somoene be ready to pay several G's for something that is worth peanuts.

That so-called Issam, pretty sure there is something dodgy about him, he could be one of those: I'll transfer you 5g's to cover for shipping, please pay that to the shipping company. Can not believe there are some still (sorry to say it) naive enough to believe that and fall for the trap (Drive.com.au has some hints and tips re fishy buyers) http://www.drive.com.au/casualAds/ar...Tips.aspx#safe

My

In Australia: Ď05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: Ď09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Gotta say, it sounds absurd enough to ship an old car across the world (with no regards to cost) to end up as parts car, or as taxi.

Many countries (inc. Aus) have extremely high import duties, or regulations that forbid imports that are that old (even if wanted to be considered as 'classic').

New cars are almost always the cheaper option, or near new that have been in an accident. I say this, because my father imported cars into Lebanon for over than 40 years; and at times, he'd be offered free cars as parts; Usually, cars for parts, are disassembled in their originating country (in them dodgy yards) and stacked up inside containers, not shipped as whole cars for parts .

Peugeot's and Renault's, Mercedes and BMW's are in their tens of millions in the middle east; aftermarket parts (made in China most likely, or Iran) are readily available for cheap. (think 100US for low milage 504 engine, $60 for transmission, $50 for a beemer LSD). I honestly can not see how would somoene be ready to pay several G's for something that is worth peanuts.

That so-called Issam, pretty sure there is something dodgy about him, he could be one of those: I'll transfer you 5g's to cover for shipping, please pay that to the shipping company. Can not believe there are some still (sorry to say it) naive enough to believe that and fall for the trap (Drive.com.au has some hints and tips re fishy buyers) http://www.drive.com.au/casualAds/ar...Tips.aspx#safe

My

absurd or not it wouldn't be the first time a dodgy bunch of middle eastern people have been off runing similiar schemes
    Last edited by orestes; 20th November 2005 at 08:43 PM.

Icon7

Here's a few as examples that were offered for sale on AF. They were bumped until the seller gave up and probably disposed of them to the crushers as I have done with my 504. I have a friend who has about 7 504's he wants to part with as he is 78, has just bought a later model Corona as he can't do the servicing on his 504 that he was used to. I'll offer them to Pug604 and if he doesn't bite, the Arabs will probably get them as no one here in Australia seems to want them. Don't complain when we are buying second hand door handles for the 504 for $200 each from the Arabs.

504 shell for sale

1977 504 GL auto

'78 504 for sale

504 wrecking/free Perth

1972 Peugeot 504 for sale

504 Clearance (Wife Declared War)

1977 504 5 speed for sale

Matt.
    Last edited by Ralph; 20th November 2005 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Spelling is up to shit
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

There's an Egyptian guy in the next street who had seven 504's in his drive and front yard six weeks ago. These have all disappeared and he currently has six more up the drive/front yard. He also rents a vaccant block behind a local servo and there are heaps more in there, not the ones from his drive. Looks like he's just aquired a 404 estate this weekend and a pristine 504 sedan which he's now driving instead of his '93 Fairlane.
    Sad but true.
    I bet (my guess) he's not even a registered business and therefore screwing the government as well as us.

On a side note, even the local KFC doesn't have bacon on its burgers.
    Yes, a "halal" KFC. Are there many more KFC's like this out there?
    These guys are affecting my life in more ways than one.
    Haven't bought anything from any KFC in the last two years for this reason.
    I won't mention the fish 'n chip shop that has egg & bacon sandwiches with no bacon, the bacon is crossed out. Or the pizza shop that has "meat" instead of "ham" on its traditional pizzas.
    Don't go there.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Here's a few as examples that were offered for sale on AF. They were bumped until the seller gave up and probably disposed of them to the crushers as I have done with my 504. I have a friend who has about 7 504's he wants to part with as he is 78, has just bought a later model Corona as he can't do the servicing on his 504 that he was used to. I'll offer them to Pug604 and if he doesn't bite, the Arabs will probably get them as no one here in Australia seems to want them. Don't complain when we are buying second hand door handles for the 504 for $200 each from the Arabs.

504 shell for sale

1977 504 GL auto

'78 504 for sale

504 wrecking/free Perth

1972 Peugeot 504 for sale

504 Clearance (Wife Declared War)

1977 504 5 speed for sale

Matt.
    I agree soon we'll be buying parts back from them for ten times as much, but what do you do? Nobody in australia wants them, and when ya just cant afford to keep an extra car, or theres nowhere to put it, its just gotta go.

i sent 4 504's to the crusher about 12months ago now, all with transmissions, one with engine, all with windows, door handles, locks, seats, lights, diffs, running gear the whole lot............but whats a bloke supposed to do aye? if its gonna sit in a paddock and rust away, it might as well be crushed, or it might as well be sent over seas where itll be put to good use.

i recently had a guy winge at me (no names) because i threw out some old 504 waterpumps i had lying around, and he wanted one desperatly...........but what am i gonna do with 3 old waterpumps? not to mention buckets and buckets of other old crap and parts that i was selling dirt cheap and free (some people know of this small stockpile i had) but its all at the dump now, it just sat around and noone was interested.

i like peugeots but they dont run my life. i guess what im saying is that yes its bad that the old cars are going overseas, but, if ya dont want it anymore and nobodys interested, then ya just gotta get rid of it anyway you can.

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    I recently had a guy winge at me (no names) because i threw out some old 504 waterpumps i had lying around, and he wanted one desperatly
    . And all I could offer was a broken one.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc62
    ...On a side note, even the local KFC doesn't have bacon on its burgers.
    Yes, a "halal" KFC. Are there many more KFC's like this out there?
    These guys are affecting my life in more ways than one.
    Haven't bought anything from any KFC in the last two years for this reason.
    I won't mention the fish 'n chip shop that has egg & bacon sandwiches with no bacon, the bacon is crossed out. Or the pizza shop that has "meat" instead of "ham" on its traditional pizzas.
    Don't go there.

Marc
    That is pretty crazy! So I take it your area is full of Arab's, I can't believe it's like this. But hey, they need a little socially isolated place too, just like the Chinese do, the japanese... Because of racist pricks, isolation is probably the result of such red neck behaviour. I think it is good that they have there own little place, with their own little burger shops that don't sell sacred ham & bacon (or whatever the reason is they don't eat it). Such places are good as people can rely on each other, you can't exactly just tell them to assimilate themselves within society, it doesn't work, especially now that these stupid terrorist laws and media attention on such create a rough time for them. They can rely on each other, sympathise with each other, understand each other and help each other.

Think of their position before you (I wouldn't say complain) but notify the fact that it affects the way you live. They probably have it harder than you anyway buddy and hey, you can always move?

I am not like some of the other racist cokhead's out there who has suddenly decided to hate Arab's due to the fact they blow themselves up, I am smart enough to realise that it is a select few, who have been blooody brainwashed and think they are doing a good deed. I know afew people who are like this (decided to hate arabs) and they wouldn't know their head from their arse. I'm sure they can be bloody pricks, but hey so can we! I hope some sense is knocked into these fools that they are representing their religion in such a terrible way that all around the world people have decided that they must hate them. Terrible.

scar
    Last edited by rustymunga; 21st November 2005 at 07:29 PM.

1000+ Posts

Oscar, 504's are very popular in the middle east for families etc, but also for taxis. They scout the world for parts, and Australia is not exception.

Don't make a very common mistake by assuming all Arabs are muslims.

Arab Christians are people who are ethnically Arab and who follow the religion of Christianity. There are believed to be nearly 14 million Arab Christians in the Arab world and 30-35 million worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Christians
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Don't make a very common mistake by assuming all Arabs are muslims.

Arab Christians are people who are ethnically Arab and who follow the religion of Christianity. There are believed to be nearly 14 million Arab Christians in the Arab world and 30-35 million worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Christians
    I know I was married to one for ten years.

Marc

Great...Rusty's back...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Thread Information