Purchase receipts for unrego'd cars
  • Register
  • Help
    Gus

Default Purchase receipts for unrego'd cars

Hi guys,

I'm on the verge of buying a new frog but I'm a little stymied about one problem...

Car has been out of rego for some time. The last registered owner didn't write a receipt to the current owner, so the car is kind of "in limbo" with respect to any kind of formal chain-of-ownership.

Advertisement

So, I was wondering what the deal is with these receipts, anyway... Do they actually mean very much? A vehicle identity check, I would assume, is the proper way for the authorities to verify a car isn't dodgy? A REVS check being the next best thing?

Can I just turn up with a receipt with some random person's name on it and register a car (assuming it passes the ID check?) It's an old, dodgy, cheap Frog which makes it all a lot less likely to attract trouble.

Dunno if ACT is trickier, but a handwritten receipt from the person you bought it from usually suffices. Worst case I had was an old R10 that had surface rust over the VIN number so it was unreadable. They just sent me out with a nmber punch and new VIN they created for it.

Best to give them a bell and explain the situation to them - there will be a way around it for sure.

Thread Information