Anyone bought Auto paint lately?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 Anyone bought Auto paint lately?

I'm doing a touch up job, so went through stock on hand and decided I needed a few odds 'n sods to make it all happen.
    2 Litres of colour, 4 litres of clear (more than I need but have another job coming up), black satin "RFU' (ready for use) some fancy masking or around windows, normal masking, all purpose thinners for gun cleaning an overspray and 9 sheets of wet & dry. Total................around $300.
    This doesn't include any AAA thinner, primer, spot putty or bog which is included would have run the price up around $350+. There's also sponges, brushes, wax remover, flow coat and disc pads for orbital and in line sanders and in this case a front guard so with labour thrown in, it would be about a $1500 job I'm doing.
    Not hard to understand how these cars that seem to have so little damage get declared as "economic write offs" at Auctions and a good note to the wise for anyone considering buying a car described as such.

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I'm doing a touch up job, so went through stock on hand and decided I needed a few odds 'n sods to make it all happen.
    2 Litres of colour, 4 litres of clear (more than I need but have another job coming up), black satin "RFU' (ready for use) some fancy masking or around windows, normal masking, all purpose thinners for gun cleaning an overspray and 9 sheets of wet & dry. Total................around $300.
    This doesn't include any AAA thinner, primer, spot putty or bog which is included would have run the price up around $350+. There's also sponges, brushes, wax remover, flow coat and disc pads for orbital and in line sanders and in this case a front guard so with labour thrown in, it would be about a $1500 job I'm doing.
    Not hard to understand how these cars that seem to have so little damage get declared as "economic write offs" at Auctions and a good note to the wise for anyone considering buying a car described as such.

Alan S
    2litres of colour and 4litres of clear ... I've seen whole cars painted with that much paint .... Another $100bux for a heap more sandpaper and another litre of paint and you'd be close to a full respray on a straight'ish car.

There is places in Melbourne that sell cheap'ish/er paint, you sound exy like the local place that sells mostly Dulon & 3M products.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

al

What you say about the cost of repairs is very true... Unfortunately it didn't stop my $500 bid on the hail damaged 205si (at the brisbane pickles auction this week) being beaten... Who would pay $1000 for an si with damage to every panel?

I really wanted to pull that car apart! I could have used a few bits of it too...

Out of curiosity, how much paint does it take to do a car?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al
    ... Who would pay $1000 for an si with damage to every panel?
    Yeah people go stupid at auctions. Bloody annoying great unwashed

Prices are quite weird.
    Metallics and reds seem to be the worst as all paints come in "code" price ranges. In my case, irredescent blue was approx $72 a litre (including price rise from the start of the month) When I say '$72 a litre' that's what I mean; 1 litre $72 or 10 litres $720 possibly due to being mixed on weight not volume and as it will require 3 colour coats minimum plus clear cover, the 2 was almost minmum.
    Clear is entirely different. 2 litres about $40+ whilst 4 litres was $61 The tape for use around corners of the rubber to remove the need for pulling the glass out was interesting; $27.40 for 10 metres!! Great money saver in the context of the job. Has a plastic section that fits under the rubber that can be bent around the curvature of the corner of the windscreen rubber due to it being slit into small sections. The other half, adhesive, then sticks to the outside of the rubber to mask it. Last windscreen I had removed and refitted cost almost $80, this way, no risk of leaks or broken windscreens.
    Paint wasn't 3M/Dulux incidentally; not SuperCheap generic take what you get kind of stuff, this was all trade quality.
    As regards volumes; rule of thumb says 4 litres per car but there's variances to this naturally and not all are area related. I've seen small "complicated designed" cars take the lot and large "butter box" designed ones have a litre left over. I always make it a point to use "AAA" grade thinners for final coats and always use the same grade in clear coat for long life of the job. I see all too many irredescents that look like they've been sunburnt and are shedding their "skin".

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Prices are quite weird.
    Metallics and reds seem to be the worst as all paints come in "code" price ranges. In my case, irredescent blue was approx $72 a litre (including price rise from the start of the month) When I say '$72 a litre' that's what I mean; 1 litre $72 or 10 litres $720 possibly due to being mixed on weight not volume and as it will require 3 colour coats minimum plus clear cover, the 2 was almost minmum.
    Clear is entirely different. 2 litres about $40+ whilst 4 litres was $61 The tape for use around corners of the rubber to remove the need for pulling the glass out was interesting; $27.40 for 10 metres!! Great money saver in the context of the job. Has a plastic section that fits under the rubber that can be bent around the curvature of the corner of the windscreen rubber due to it being slit into small sections. The other half, adhesive, then sticks to the outside of the rubber to mask it. Last windscreen I had removed and refitted cost almost $80, this way, no risk of leaks or broken windscreens.
    Paint wasn't 3M/Dulux incidentally; not SuperCheap generic take what you get kind of stuff, this was all trade quality.
    As regards volumes; rule of thumb says 4 litres per car but there's variances to this naturally and not all are area related. I've seen small "complicated designed" cars take the lot and large "butter box" designed ones have a litre left over. I always make it a point to use "AAA" grade thinners for final coats and always use the same grade in clear coat for long life of the job. I see all too many irredescents that look like they've been sunburnt and are shedding their "skin".

Alan S
    When I lived in Melbourne I bought a Paint brand called PPG from a company called STORK in Bayswater. This stuff was about the same as Dulux but covered twice as good so didnt need so much. Absolutly brilliant acrylic Lacquer. Just recently bought some Standox Acrylic white and 2l cost me $93.00

Thread Information