100RON Optimax now available
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Default 100RON Optimax now available

Shell Optimax Extreme
    The power of 100 octane
    With the natural quality of ethanol

Shell Optimax Extreme is a new super-high octane fuel with a minimum octane rating of 100, the highest currently available at any Australian service station. Shell Optimax Extreme is formulated with 5% ethanol.

Shell Optimax Extreme is formulated to deliver more engine responsiveness, sharper acceleration and enhanced power in many modern and high performance vehicles compared to other Shell premium fuels.

Ethanol is a renewable non-fossil fuel produced in Australia. When used in fuel it’s a cleaner burning, renewable component that helps to reduce Greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, through the formulation with ethanol, Shell Optimax Extreme has a substantially lower sulphur and benzene content than the maximum levels set under the Federal Government’s fuel quality standards. Ethanol is a cleaner burning, renewable fuel component that helps to reduce Greenhouse gas emissions.

Available at the following servo's
    Coles Express Dickson Cnr Antill & Badham St Dickson ACT
    *Coles Express Carlton 277–281 Princes Hwy Carlton NSW
    *Coles Express Darlinghurst 47 Flinders St Darlinghurst NSW
    *Coles Express Dundas Cnr Kissing Point Rd & Kirby St Dundas NSW
    Coles Express Fairfield Cnr Polding St & The Horsley Drv Fairfield NSW
    Coles Express Green Valley Cnr Cowpasture Rd & Green Valley Cartwright NSW
    Coles Express Hurstville 39 Forest Rd Hurstville NSW
    Coles Express Kingsford 48–56 Gardeners Rd Kingsford NSW
    Coles Express Kirrawee Cnr Princes Hwy & The Boulevard Kirrawee NSW
    Coles Express Lidcombe 18 Parramatta Rd Lidcombe NSW
    *Coles Express Marsfield Cnr Epping Rd & Culloden Rd Marsfield NSW
    Coles Express Neutral Bay Cnr Ben Boyd Rd & Ernest St Neutral Bay NSW
    Coles Express North Ryde Wicks 96 Wicks Rd North Ryde NSW

* Shell Optimax Extreme will be available at these service stations by the end of 2005.
    How about someone with an engine/ECU that can see a benefit from this give it a run and let us know how it goes.

Advertisement
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

I'll give it a go in the C4
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    How about someone with an engine/ECU that can see a benefit from this give it a run and let us know how it goes.
    No Qld outlets. I wonder what the premium over Optimax will be, another 10cpl?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Yeah I'm curious to know the price aswell. I wonder if the ethanol was added to make it a little cheaper. It's a pity it doesn't come without the ethanol even though the 5% wouldn't do any harm.
    Your resident ninja

I'd just like optimax to be available here in SA.

United run a 98 octane product called Boost98 - which is an E10 fuel. It is generally cheaper than products like Ultimate or Mobil 8000.

I havent tried it in the pug yet as I'm a bit wary of E10 fuel
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Fellow Frogger!

what's the real story with ethanol anyway, is it ok to pump into the new frogs with 5% content? i'm also not sure if with the 100 RON it makes a better fuel or the 98 RON without any ethanol remains the top pick?

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th
    what's the real story with ethanol anyway, is it ok to pump into the new frogs with 5% content? i'm also not sure if with the 100 RON it makes a better fuel or the 98 RON without any ethanol remains the top pick?
    Exactly... I'm equally as confused.

I think i'll stick to 98RON and NO ethanol.

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by pyrced
    Yeah I'm curious to know the price aswell. I wonder if the ethanol was added to make it a little cheaper. It's a pity it doesn't come without the ethanol even though the 5% wouldn't do any harm.
    Becareful using ethanol. I know Peugeot's web site says it is ok in current cars, you would still want to be careful that it isn't going to damage fuel components.
    http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?site.home&FFFF1765
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

It's pointless. Ethanol is more powerful but gets used up quicker. Cars designed now really shouldn't use that, it may cause damage. Not always, but may. Saab has made a car that runs just on thanol though, and if that technology spreads out should be good. they are cheap.
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Very important point there to make there, regarding engines tuned for such fuel.

I can just foresee a bunch of people thinking they're gonna be heroes with their RON100 in little Lancers and Civics with big body kits.

There are a lot of people out there who have no idea what the significance of octane is - simply greater resistance to premature detonation. The way I've heard some go on about higher octane fuels, you'd wonder whether it was rocket fuel or something!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pyrced
    If it came without the ethanol it would be just plain old 98 Optimax!
    It should be cheaper than 98 going by United's prices.
    Graham

Ahh if this comes to QLD i'll have to dust off the GT and dial in some more ignition advance....love the torque of that car

Dave

Ethanol vs Non-ethanol....
    I'd like to see some independant reports about ethanol fuel and it's effect on components. In the beginning of the whole ethanol arguement, that was the big problem. Car makers said you would void the warranty, now they are all jumping on the wagon. Have they all been given tax-breaks to support it.
    I read a very positive report today penned by DJR, Dick Johnson and of course he says it's good. He has a Shell sponsership to support
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Ethanol vs Non-ethanol....
    I'd like to see some independant reports about ethanol fuel and it's effect on components.
    My understanding is it eats your fuel line components, like seals. When it was first released Peugeot said you couldn't use it in any of their models.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

I am going to fill up in Neutral Bay tonight on my way home.

I have mainly been using BP Ultimate recently rather then Optimax, I seemed to get better consumption and performance with Ultimate.

100 RON sounds good though. If only it didn't have ethanol. I still don't know what to beleive in the whole Ethanol debate. Will let you know how the car goes. I'll reset my consumption computer and post the figures.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Coles Express Dickson Cnr Antill & Badham St Dickson ACT
    Guess I'll be filling up there as soon as the 180 is back, will see how it goes!

In Australia: ‘05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: ‘09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Manildra. Australia's premier ethanol producer. Boss is John Howard's brother... I was always of the belief that ethanol had less 'grunt' per ml than petrol, therefore it was not as efficient, a lot like LPG v petrol. That said, I am not against 'green' fuels because there isn't going to be a lot of black stuff coming out of the ground in 30 years time. (Hmm, the 406 will be long dead but the 404 will still be scratching around...). Adding ethanol to 98 Optimax is hardly going to be sole ingredient added to reach 100 octane. I could be wrong??? Beware of the scare campaign about ethanol, most of it created by the oil companies who didn't want to lose market share and the 'cause and effect' car manufacturers who played it safe 'in case' the ethanol damaged their fuelling systems. Remember that ethanol is BIG in South America (they're the continent that lost the soccer in Sydney tonight) and that percentages of 60% and more are used in everyday fuels. I know Holden issued a release a few years back saying that they had to use a different alloy in their fuel lines and a different sealing compound in something (technical hey?) to combat the corrosive component of the ethanol. Ergo, remember this is for a car running 60% ethanol, not 5 or 10%. Bottom line: Ethanol good and harmless in low percentages but lacks the punch of petrol. Only problem is that the latter is running out and what's left is controlled by Russian mafia, Middle Eastern dictators, and Nigerian money scammers. And don't ask the yanks, they don't even realise fuel is running out in their V10 trucks... Hmm, am I being political again??? Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Guess I'll be filling up there as soon as the 180 is back, will see how it goes!
    Back from where?

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    Manildra. Australia's premier ethanol producer. Boss is John Howard's brother... I was always of the belief that ethanol had less 'grunt' per ml than petrol, therefore it was not as efficient, a lot like LPG v petrol. That said, I am not against 'green' fuels because there isn't going to be a lot of black stuff coming out of the ground in 30 years time. (Hmm, the 406 will be long dead but the 404 will still be scratching around...). Adding ethanol to 98 Optimax is hardly going to be sole ingredient added to reach 100 octane. I could be wrong??? Beware of the scare campaign about ethanol, most of it created by the oil companies who didn't want to lose market share and the 'cause and effect' car manufacturers who played it safe 'in case' the ethanol damaged their fuelling systems. Remember that ethanol is BIG in South America (they're the continent that lost the soccer in Sydney tonight) and that percentages of 60% and more are used in everyday fuels. I know Holden issued a release a few years back saying that they had to use a different alloy in their fuel lines and a different sealing compound in something (technical hey?) to combat the corrosive component of the ethanol. Ergo, remember this is for a car running 60% ethanol, not 5 or 10%. Bottom line: Ethanol good and harmless in low percentages but lacks the punch of petrol. Only problem is that the latter is running out and what's left is controlled by Russian mafia, Middle Eastern dictators, and Nigerian money scammers. And don't ask the yanks, they don't even realise fuel is running out in their V10 trucks... Hmm, am I being political again??? Sorry

Tests have shown E10 98 to give the greatest power output of readliy available fuels.
    The 10% ethanol added to 91 gives 94 octane and to 95 gives 98.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    Back from where?
    Back from the paint shop

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Back from the paint shop
    '05 model and already at the paint shop?!?!?!?

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    '05 model and already at the paint shop?!?!?!?
    Damn those stone chips

Actually, had a little mishap early October, nothing structural, just bonnet + bumper bar + radiator (the car ahead had a bitch of a towbar!)

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by storms_of_fate
    It's pointless. Ethanol is more powerful but gets used up quicker. Cars designed now really shouldn't use that, it may cause damage. Not always, but may. Saab has made a car that runs just on thanol though, and if that technology spreads out should be good. they are cheap.
    Source???

correct me if i'm wrong, but avgas is allready 100 ron, and Elf have been making fuels that are closer to 110 (if i'm not mistaken) and i haven't heard of a lot of bad effects from either. Also, over in europe, 100ron fiel is common as daylight so there can't be much wrong with it

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    correct me if i'm wrong, but avgas is allready 100 ron, and Elf have been making fuels that are closer to 110 (if i'm not mistaken) and i haven't heard of a lot of bad effects from either. Also, over in europe, 100ron fiel is common as daylight so there can't be much wrong with it
    There are many high octane fuels, racing fuels generally are, but none of them use ethanol IIRC. I don't know if 100RON fuel in Japan or Europe is made with ethanol, anyone?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last