Considering moving
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Considering moving

Hi all,

I've been living in Sydney for ages, but have always liked the idea of living out in the bush with a bit of land and area to grow my own stuff.

Lately, I've had some bad experiences in Sydney, and it's not so much the reason, but the event that makes you finally decide to put one foot forward and start moving on.

I've been thinking of moving out of town. Money isn't a serious issue, as I'll get a bucket load of money for my house, and be able to just about buy one outright in the country. But I'm still going to look for a job, etc. As I doubt my IT skills me be of major importance out there in the sticks.

Advertisement

So, my question is, to those that live out in the scrub, what's life like? What do you do for a crust? What are some of the difficulties you experience? etc.

Cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

al

Just move to Brisbane - there you get surrounded by country bumpkins, but with sealed roads and decent coffee...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

errrrr. NO

I'd much rather go out to the country. If I were to move to another city, it'd be Melbourne.

Cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

1990 405 Mi16

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by pips
    errrrr. NO

I'd much rather go out to the country. If I were to move to another city, it'd be Melbourne.

Cheers
    pips

What about Albury/Wodonga. Big enough to sustain an IT industry (small though), and coutry enough to be full of stereotypes

I grew up there and even I turned out ok (ish)
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

what about south coast of sydney? nice place...

Just settle for Newcastle.. or if you prefer the smell of BMP Wollongong..

This place is just shuburbs organised together to pretent to be a city.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Icon14

Tassie - if you haven't been - GO NOW!

Every time I've been, I've wanted to move. My wife and I certainly want to make the switch one day (one day....).

Hobart gets the best of both: a City with city stuff... and world class wilderness just out the back!

Oh, and great driving roads for French Car owners!!!
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

Tassy, didn't think of that one.

I was looking at Coonabarabran, Parkes, Wauchope (I have family friends there).

But Tas sounds good... hmmm, I'll look at Real Estate prices.

Newcastle.... no offence, I don't even like passing it when going up to see said friends in Wauchope. I don't get a good vibe.

Cheers
    pips

1990 405 Mi16

Wow, go for it! If you are in a situation to be able to make the break. Fresh clean air, the stars at night, you'll probably live ten years longer than if you stay in the big smoke. Tassie might be a good choice since the prediction is for temps to rise, just make sure it's well above sea level! The Otways area is in Vic is pretty stunning and there's a nice community there.

Icon14

what about further south merimbula way

[quote]Newcastle.... no offence, I don't even like passing it when going up to see said friends in Wauchope. I don't get a good vibe.[/quopte]

it was a trick just to see how serious you were

anywhere up near Port Mcquarie, Wauhope is lovely.. oh . an dmy grand dad built that little model train that used to be in Timber Town

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Some further gratuitous advice...

don't sell your place in Sydney, think about getting tenants and find yourself somewhere to rent in your new location. That way it's easy to back out and look elsewhere if it's not exactly what you were looking for, or not what you were expecting.

Default Go for it.

Gidday pips, 13 years ago we sold all our real crap, loaded our worthwhile crap into a covered hire trailer, put our 2 kids in the back of our 78 Peugeot 504 & towed the whole lot from our then home in Adelaide to the Hunter valley. Before this I had always lived in a city. My partner had got a job but I was going to do the full time parent thing. We had no home to go to, rented when we got there and didn't know anything about the place. When we got there we joined a couple of clubs & made lots of friends that way. Once our kids stated school we made more friends through school. It was a great location. Barrington tps for mountain scenery & snow in winter. By the way 504's are great mountain climbers. NSW coast for great beaches etc and close enough to Sydney for some city culture once in a while. Country living is great, be open minded, take peolpe how you find them, be laid back and go with the flow. In really small towns accept that everyone will get to know what youre doing all the time. Things changed for us & we moved back to SA after several years but we still live in a country town in the Adelaide Hills. My suggestion is rent out your Sydney house move some where you like & give it ago. Make it an adventure and if it does it for you sell your house & make it permanent. You might be surprised at how your IT skills can be used in the country.
    Dom

Fellow Frogger!

WE lived in the remote bush for 20 years after 20 in Melb the country schools had not much to offer so we moved to Canberra,its great, could never live in Melb or Sydney. some small towns can be bitter places,many are hard to establish friends and work, so stay with friends if you can
    So definitley rent for a while, before and if you sell in Sydney.

good luck

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't think I'd ever move to a really small town (I can't be bothered with the gossip & [email protected] that goes on). Better to pick one that size of Bendigo, Ballarat ... etc... Only don't live in town, 15minutes out will get you a few acres, big shed and decent house for not a lot of $$$$.

I'd never dream of shifting to somewhere like Sydney or Melbourne.... I really like Adelaide, it has that 'large town' feel as apposed to the big city feel... Canberra ... nice... I can't put my finger on it though, I just don't like the feel of the place (it's souless ).

Tassie... You really want to live somewhere that cold Might as well come down to Ballarat, we have the Technology Center here (IBM, Tax Office, etc ...). I work for GE Medical Systems as a computer programer ... Pay it [email protected] though, I could probably get a 50%++ pay rise just by commuting to Melbourne (Yuk !! Who'd want to commute for 4hours a day ... That's 20hours a week less you'd see your family, certainly not worth the $$$).

I timed it last week, 11.5minutes to work (I can come home at lunchtime), and a 100+++km/h cruise all the way down backroads

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

al

Quote Originally Posted by e.sport
    what about further south merimbula way

I want my house looking over the beach at Tathra... I spend a few weeks up that was surfing every year, and it is absolutely stunning.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Icon14

having been to most places....all I can say is Australia has an amazing smorgasboard of fabulous places to live!
    have to second checking out Tassie though...it's the jewel in Australia's crown, & even the cities (lonie & hobby) are like country towns, with acerage available 10 mins out of town! absolutely the best roads in the country for french cars! & it's warmer than ballarat (even in winter!!! )

if you decided to sell your house in Sydney...you could buy a kingly estate in Tassie & have change left over! Only drawback is no 98RON fuel! & not much of a club scene...
    but really, there are so many gorgeous places on the mainland too. I know that when I finally settle down, I'll be heading for the bush & at least 40 acres..clean air, horses & freedom! reckon it's the life!
    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Go somewhere cold, it's good for Mi16's.

What gave you a bad vibe from Newcastle? Was it the smoke stacks, the world's largest coal port, the 25% youth unemployment? Easy to be deterred, but having only recently departed, I miss Newy dearly. The whole place is coastal, it's much cheaper than Sydney (for now), and it's a really relaxed environment.

Plus you might get to meet Bowie....
    1982 505GR (RIP)

Tassie should definitely be on the map. Since the minister for domestic affairs and I have been there several times to visit my best man, we have seriously considered moving there as well, in our twilight years. Which is not that far away.

It has some amazing scenery and driving roads, love the climate, and the people are collectively the friendliest that I have found in this country.

Property prices may be an issue for the locals, especially on the slopes above Hobart, but the go would be a couple of acres somewhere with expansive views, and expansive grounds where you can hoard all the old Pugs.

It is not that much to fly there to check it out, well worth the trip.

Chris

Sounds great.

Though my main issue with moving somewhere (anywhere) like this is the job front. I run a rather successful IT business. I doubt this will be successful in the country. Unless the township is filled with geeks like me.

And as a mate of mine that lives out at Bathurst put it best. "You could try your best at picking an industry that everyone will need out here, or work in the pet food factory."

Seems that's the only thing that is really on our minds.

Cheers
    pips

1990 405 Mi16

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

from what i have heard tassie is a good place to retire but can be a bastard to find work for an outsider

in the bush you tend to take what you can get unless you can organise something first

lifestyle is good though and traffic, well there is none

best bet would be take a holiday and see what there is around a few towns and have a chat to employment people to see what is either lacking in an area or what there is workwise

bathurst is nice but can be cold

orange is expensive for housing

molong is drowned

forbes is very farmy

parkes is growing

dubbo is a fair size like orange and bathurst but warmer but be picky about where you live

west wyalong is growing due to a new mine and the same could happen to tomingley and if it does happen then the mine there will make cadia look like a pond apparently

narromine is very farmy

young is nice but you need to check it out

harden is a backwater and going no where and clicky

mudgee is clicky and expensive

i tend to stay away from coastal areas, been there done that and got it out of my system

hope that helps
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon7

Ophir is a nice spot.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I have a mates uncle in Young. Nice place, but if you're not working at the Abattoir then you're unemployed.

I liked Parkes when I was there. Though, yes it is small. But looks like it's growing.

I've heard Dubbo is iffy... some areas are good, others are not.

Looking at www.realestate.com.au, Orange is rather pricey compared to other places.

I don't mind the cold (Bathurst), but the missus will freeze her nipples off... as she doesn't even like going camping with me in October at Sofala.

Never heard of Ophir. Shall look into it, tell me more.

Cheers
    pips

1990 405 Mi16

Icon12

tassie is hard if you aren't skilled...but they are crying out for skilled people, due to many of them emigrating to the mainland...yes it's a great place to retire, but there are some lucrative positions if you have the qualifications
    don't write it off too quick

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Fellow Frogger!

I love Tassie but when there I went to the Tassie development mob and asked my wife is a nurse and Im a qualified trainer what options do we have. The answer didnt fill me with confidence.

I live in Perth and have a 5 acre property an hour east. Went out there today to fix the hot water system talk to our horse and see Mum who lives there. Took her into the main street of Toodyay. I couldnt believe it everyone was so friendly asking mum how she was having a laugh with her. Mum said I have never met such friendly people. I replied seems that they all lose their sence of humour on the other side of the hills (City).

Mum loves it the birds everymorning singing, lovely view over the valley, her dog and the horse. She cant se why anyone lives in the city. We have kids at school jobs etc but I realy know where I like it best.

Also had some fun in the GTI on the backroads after city driving just so good.

Graelin

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information