Fabric under bonnet, does it matter?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fabric under bonnet, does it matter?

Hi, since my car (505 Peugeot) was repaired after the accident I still haven't done anything about replacing the sound deadening stuff under the bonnet. I have the stuff from the old bonnet but it is a bit decayed and the synthetic stuff is crumbly. I'm just wondering whether to bother or not. What is it's function? Is it only to deaden sound? I find the 505 bonnet is already very heavy to put up so maybe it is better with less weight? I would appreciate to hear what others think.

Also I never found the gaurd thing that goes right under the engine, bumper bar base, black plastic thing....I think it is to stop mud getting up there. How important is this part if anyone knows what I am referring to?

Advertisement

Default Fabric ??

Quote Originally Posted by okalford
    Hi, since my car (505 Peugeot) was repaired after the accident I still haven't done anything about replacing the sound deadening stuff under the bonnet. I have the stuff from the old bonnet but it is a bit decayed and the synthetic stuff is crumbly. I'm just wondering whether to bother or not. What is it's function? Is it only to deaden sound? I find the 505 bonnet is already very heavy to put up so maybe it is better with less weight? I would appreciate to hear what others think.

Also I never found the gaurd thing that goes right under the engine, bumper bar base, black plastic thing....I think it is to stop mud getting up there. How important is this part if anyone knows what I am referring to?
    Okalford,
    If you don't find the engine noise a problem, forget the sound deadening.

The "guard thing" is common on euro cars, it's to prevent snow [and mud] packing under the front of the engine then freezing overnight and possibly forcing belts, including cam belts, off their pulleys.

The guard thinngy you mention is called a "stone tray" here in Aus if I'm reading you correctly.

Don't think I remember seeing one on my 505, better go out and hava' captain cook.

Marc

I think it is called a stone tray. There's no snow or mud where I live so maybe I won't worry about it. The car was in 100% original condition (before I stacked it!) so it is hard to decide how far to go in restoring it.

And the engine is quiet so maybe putting the crumbling padding back on might cause probs anyway. Oh good, I can be lazy now!

Thread Information