Meguires Hi-Tec wax
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Meguires Hi-Tec wax

Meguires Hi Tec synthetic polymer stuff....
    I gave my car a hit of this on the weekend. I was being lazy so I didnt Paint clean/Polish/wax Just a wash and wax. Tell you what, the car came up looking litterally brilliant. Normally white paint dosent look that shiny, but it now somehow has a real gloss to it. The product is super easy to apply and buff off. $35 bucks well spent! The test is to see how long it lasts...

Advertisement

Interesting...

have been tempted to buy the stuff but didnt want to spend the money as hadnt heard any reports on how good it is

May get some at the Summernats as Maguiers have a stand there with good prices on their range

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Hmmmm...

What paint were you applying it to? New? Old but good condition? Old and tired?

I tried it on my new (April 2005) non-froggie, and wasn't that impressed. Others I've spoken to, like you, thought it was great.

On a related matter...

Has anyone tried the 'wax-it' orbital polisher? It's around $150 (although I've seen it as low as $99 on a one day special) and comes packaged with some Mothers products. It seems a very 'light weight' unit that is ideal for wax-on, wax-off type of jobs. I don't think it claims to be a hard core polishing machine. Would be interested in any opinions.
    Last edited by pajamas; 8th November 2005 at 03:31 PM.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

I'll second 'mmm...CORNERS' comments.
    I used this wax just before the French Car Day here last month
    and its given the paint a very deep glossy shine that has lasted
    really very well considering the rubbish weather we've been having.
    Easy to use as you wax the whole car then let dry for a while
    then rub off the dry residue. I also bought a microfibre cloth
    to rub it down and that works a treat as well.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    I'll second 'mmm...CORNERS' comments.
    I used this wax just before the French Car Day here last month
    and its given the paint a very deep glossy shine that has lasted
    really very well considering the rubbish weather we've been having.
    Easy to use as you wax the whole car then let dry for a while
    then rub off the dry residue. I also bought a microfibre cloth
    to rub it down and that works a treat as well.

cheers,
    I combine that with yellow wax #27 to make it last longer. problem with the liquid stuff is i found they don't tend to stick as long as the paste formula.

also read it from another forum, wax give the colour a warm finish, and polymer adds gloss, so use the wax, let it cure for a week and add the polymer will achieve the best result.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Administrator

Are we talking about Meguires NXT or something different?

I tried the NXT (admittedly I was in a rush) and it worked OK but I certainly wouldn't rate it all that highly...

Might have to give it another go and take my time...

Hmmm, I'll have double check the lable, it may well be the NXT. Purple and green bottle anyway.

My paint was in good condition to start with (it gets polished and waxed a few times a year). No real need to polish. So that may be the factor. I used to use the Gold class liquid, but the new one is better from my observation.

The green and purple bottle is the NXT Tech Wax

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Yep, purple and green is NXT and it's the best wax I've ever used. Although, that's mainly based on ease of application than any increased shine. I still leave that to a dedicated polish.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Yep, purple and green is NXT and it's the best wax I've ever used. Although, that's mainly based on ease of application than any increased shine. I still leave that to a dedicated polish.
    Ive used the NXT wax and it is awesome, combined with the microfibre cloth and it was a breeze to apply and wax off.

Didnt use the polish, but after waxing the paint, it didnt look like it needed the polish.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

1000+ Posts

I use klasse & NXT might be the same, their primary goal is not shine, its protection. So still go back to a wax on top if thats what you're after.

The Klasse also very slightly darkens the paint, as its UV protection as well etc...

yeah this is top quality for a an inexpensive, good looking shine. Easy to do too without any powertools

I use Klasse all-in-one and Natty's wax on top because it doesnt have any cleaners in it. Over a layer of klasse, the NXT Tech Wax would harm the klasse layer. In terms of applying only one product, NXT Tech Wax would do a better job then Natty's
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

So can you buy a machine that spins around to do it fast? If so, how much??

A proper wax just takes tooo long.

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga

to quote pajamas' post above "Has anyone tried the 'wax-it' orbital polisher? It's around $150 (although I've seen it as low as $99 on a one day special) and comes packaged with some Mothers products. It seems a very 'light weight' unit that is ideal for wax-on, wax-off type of jobs. I don't think it claims to be a hard core polishing machine. Would be interested in any opinions."
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

- Pierre Corneille

2005 307 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga

Mate, I wouldnt go rushing into machinery if you have little patience. Burnt paint, and irreversible swirl marks will result. If any thing, on new paint like your 180, just wash it and wax it regulary. I would say use the NXT. It'll take 2 hours every 3 months to keep your paint like new. Too easy.

yeah, plus whats wrong with using good old elbow grease to wax your car? gives the arms a nice workout!

i used Mequires Color-Boost Wax the other day, it worked a treat... the shiniest red car on the road it was!
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

1000+ Posts

use a random orbital... no isses & its safe as...
    used it HEAPS of times on the RSC & not a scratch!

Yep, go for a good random DA orbital polisher if you must have one, and always use the slowest setting and do not get too close to the edges. Basic orbital polishers are not good unless you know what you're doing. For me, the random polisher I have takes just as long to do as hand polishing, but the results are better and I end up using less product.

I use NXT, and it's great. Just requires clean and smooth paint for best results. The results for me are a deep lustre, and brilliant shine. After using it, my car looks better than the day I bought the car. I'd rate it more highly than anything else I've used so far, including the carnuba paste waxes (hard to use, okay shine). Beading lasts about three months. FWIW, I have dark blue paintwork and I garage the car.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Well, the NXT stuff just got tested! Damn birds and their lack of manners. Car was covered in these little globs of pooo last night, but it hosed off without a mark. a quick chamios and it good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    Well, the NXT stuff just got tested! Damn birds and their lack of manners. Car was covered in these little globs of pooo last night, but it hosed off without a mark. a quick chamios and it good as new.
    yeah this stuff is magic
    - Richard Branson

- Pierre Corneille

2005 307 Sport

Lucky I saw this thread, I was going to buy the Canuba Wax the other day but held off on it as I didn't need it right now.

NXT sounds really good, haven't heard a bad word about it yet.

I have been using the spray on Eagle 1 wax (I think it's called that. It's in a red bottle). It's really easy to apply and seemed to give a good shine on my 200, but it was always a bitch to keep clean being black.

Seeing everyone rates the NXT so good I might try it on my 180 when it's due for a wax in a couple of months time.
    2005 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

Remember, a wax job is only as good as the prep work you put in.

Wash carefully with a good quality car shampoo (and change the water when it gets dirty), chamois off to limit calcification of residual water droplets, use paint cleaner and a clay if you want a smooth, deep finish - regardless of wax in use.

If you do a terrible or rushed prep job, no wax will look good.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Out of curiosity...

What do all you Sydneysiders do to wash your car or prepare it for waxing when we cant use the hose on the car, only buckets?

Do you all use the bucket - Its just that the distance between the tap and the car is a fair trek, especially when you are filling up bucket after bucket after bucket?

Thanks heaps!

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Out of curiosity...

What do all you Sydneysiders do to wash your car or prepare it for waxing when we cant use the hose on the car, only buckets?

Do you all use the bucket - Its just that the distance between the tap and the car is a fair trek, especially when you are filling up bucket after bucket after bucket?

Thanks heaps!

Stalled
    You can try one of these

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/mpmh/figs/4-1.gif

or

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/mpmh/figs/4-10.gif
    04' GTi 180

I bring the hose and the bucket too the car. Fill the bucket up with the hose. Wet car with bucket. Stupid but legal. The thing is, it takes roughly 50 seconds to fill my 10ltr watering can with the hose. Yet it takes only 20-30 seconds to rinse the car with the shower setting on the hose. Go figure.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information