Car Ramps
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Car Ramps

Default Car Ramps

I have been considering building a set of car ramps, not the little ones you get at CAP or wherever, but a set of big muthas that will get the car 1.8m or so up in the air so you can walk around under it. Does anyone have any thoughts/plans of such a device? I live in a rocky area so a pit is out of the question.
    Thanks
    Mike

Advertisement
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    I have been considering building a set of car ramps, not the little ones you get at CAP or wherever, but a set of big muthas that will get the car 1.8m or so up in the air so you can walk around under it. Does anyone have any thoughts/plans of such a device? I live in a rocky area so a pit is out of the question.
    Thanks
    Mike
    have you looked at the ramps car yards use,particularly the 4x4 yards. the ramp is the whole length of the car,but you would be pushing it to get 1.8 m of elevation at the center.This ramp you build will be very steep,or very long and probably end up being very expensive.have you considered a used hoist from a mechanics garage?there is a paddock up the road that has a working hoist in the middle of it.Looks quite funny realy.
    Jo

Shane built himself a set and I had many grandeous plans that came to nowt, but the best thing I saw but it was sold before I got to it, was the upper deck off a car carrier.
    Can be bought from wreckers and usually only pull the scrap metal price. Ideal; ramp that drops down and locks and enough room up top to drive at least one car on and can be cut down to suit.
    Height underneath as it's needed on the truck to allow cars under. Will need a bit of strut work to stabilise, but don't look too hard to achieve.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    Thanks
    Mike
    1.5 meters is to high (from experiance here)... It'll be useless for most mechanical work 'cos you'll have to climb up on a ladder to get under the bonnet.

Here's something I knocked up a year or so ago ....

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/ramps/ramps.htm

I did discover quite a few things ... I've bent mine several times (just the 'bridges' betweent the stands ... The stands themselves would have a Mac truck with ease).

The reason is they tended to move around while you were drive up them. And I'd tend to have one ramp slightly angled which meant I'd drive off the edge of the 'bridges' if I wasn't careful.

If I was to make ramps again ... I would use the same basic design, however I would make the bridges just like the stands but with really lightweight metal (you'll never get under a car while it's parked on the 'bridges'). With the runup for my 1/2meter high stands I still have a full cars length, ie: unless you can unbolt the ramps they are going to take the length of your shed that 2cars could be parked in.

To get around this I put one dynabolt through each stand and end of the ramp bolting them down. It makes 3minutes difference when you unbolt them and move 'em out of the way. I use mine nearly everyday and there bloody brilliant. Especially for major work where you remove the bridges and do stuff like this:

If you intend to make your 1.5meters high you will probably need a runup of 3or4 car lengths (otherwise the gradient will be to sharp for a car to climb). All up mine would be 10-12meters long Just to climb up 1/2 meter.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks for your input guys
    Shane, in your experience, is 0.5 metre a good height, say for sitting under?
    I don't intend to put these ramps in a shed, but rather out in the open (I have plenty of room.) I guess I was being a little ambitious going for 1.5m.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Sittings just a little tight, kneel down isn't enough room... However the drawback of slightly higher is access to the underbonnet is appalling .... Really I'd rather have a little less room underneath. As your in the open a good compromise could be scraping some dirt out from between the ramps and giving a little extra depth (this would become a puddle though if it rains ). Actually come to think of it, you'll have more height than me as with Citroens they drop to there 'low' position dramatically reducing clearance (the main reason why ramps are so critical when you own a hydraulic citroen).

My biggest concern (well enormous concern) given you intend to do this in the open is getting the lot stable. You would need to tie it all together with strong cross braces to ensure, no matter what sideways forces applied to the car (no matter how strong) will it ever fall off the ramps sideways. eg: you have a big bar off some bolt trying to undo it and you tip the ramps over sideways dropping the car on yourself. I really don't like the idea of 1-3tons of car swinging around 1.5meters above me

Think of it this way, to wheels of the car are 1.5meters off the ground, the car is maybe 1.5meters high, that means you'll need a 3meter high ladder to access the underbonnet area.

To make 1.5meter high ramps out of new metal, given the quantity of metal required you will probably find 2nd hand 2post hoists aren't much more expensive the *just* the metal costs without the cutting/welding/designing. Metal really is expensive !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Here we go, they just bolt solidly together as shown (see how bent the ramps bit are 'cos I kept driving off them). Quick and easy using butterfly nuts (note the one dynabolt holding stand in place)

they are VERY long ... take up a lot of space, it would be much easier to just make one big long ramp, but trying to move them would be bloody difficult. At the moment it takes about 20minutes to unbolt them and cary each section outside.

The stands themselves are seem welded at every edge, and made of quite heavy angle iron. They would hold more weight effortlessly than I'd ever be brave enough to drive up there.

A couple of points to keep in mind... even given the length of these, I still can't get a flat Citroen up them (I can winch it up onto the 1st half of the stands, but the back of the car will still be at ground level). Of course the front of the car (the main bit) will be half a meter off the ground on the rear stands though. I'd probably have to double the length of the runup ... maybe 15+meters in length fully to get a flat car up there. 1/2meter doesn't sound like much, but it's quite a climb.

If you ever intend to put a hydraulic Citroen on your ramps, make them WIDE. The buggers have a much wider track at the front than the rear, so your back wheels will miss the ramps if there not wide enough (usually loading car trailer I need to winch the front on, then move the ramps in so the back wheels can run up them).

good luck.... I thought about making outside ramps but decided it'd be a pain. You see they'd either be wet... freezing out there, dark ('cos we work during the day) or to bloody hot in the direct sun. Any sort of carport/cover would be good make sure you have something that isn't grass/stone to work on Lay cheap tarps on the ground if you don't have a cement slab. Trust me every bloody nut/washer/bolt you drop will be forever lost if you don't Working outside on cars is not what I consider fun.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default Curved ramps.

Shane, impressive effort with the ramps. I've seen a ramp designed to load ride on mowers onto the back of utes. Similar problem to flat Cits. i.e. no ground clearance. They overcame this by making the ramps arched. Might work with a Cit but I suspect the nose overhang will get in the way. Just a thought.
    Dom

Hmmmmm, im in the process of collecting a set of 4 old hydraulic cylinders and a pump from work.

i have two cylinders sitting at a mates place, each time work changes the cylinder, they have let me take it home, and i simply put a seal kit through it, (they like to swap this particular cylinder on this particular machine with brandnew ones.......suits me!!!!!)

once i get all four (and the pump ive been eyeing off in the graveyard), im going to build four little lifting platforms that each wheel drives onto, all conected with a hose to the pump. And each with a fail safe ratchet system similar to what is used on axel stands.

this way i can use them on all sorts of cars with differant lengths and widths.......and with a 800mm stroke, thats ample height for those tricky jobs.

(ahhhh yes, the work scrap yard, where all the good stuff goes to die or be picked off by the vultures, like me!)

I've seen the hydraulic scissor lifts fitted to car hoists in tyre places that lift the car from under the door sills. Does anyone know if these are suitable for Cits? A second hand set of these would be ideal.
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by dom19
    I've seen the hydraulic scissor lifts fitted to car hoists in tyre places that lift the car from under the door sills. Does anyone know if these are suitable for Cits? A second hand set of these would be ideal.
    Dom
    Tyre places have the scissor lifts.... I think they'd be useless to anyone other than tyre changes. You see it covers the whole underbody of the car, and doesn't lift very high (at all). Might be ok for doing oil changes though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

it is a bit late, the auction is today, but these come up fairly regularly. Have a look:-
    http://www.graysonline.com.au/sale.asp?SALE_ID=7375

Thanks for all your input guys, esp. Shane. I see your points regarding having this thing outside, but I can't afford to use up my shed space with a contraption like this, I don't spend THAT much time working on my vehicles. You've helped me make up my mind that outside is not on, I remember working on a dirt floor when I was younger, and it was the pits. I've had concrete floors for so long I'd forgotton what it was like.
    Current state of play, I WANT one of those hoists, pref. a 4 post, but don't think the budget would stretch that far. How much do they go for? Anyone have any idea?
    In the meatime this is what I've got, its a pain in the bum, but it works.
    Cheers
    MikeCar Ramps-p1010342.jpg
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Thread Information