A1 GP - Eastern Creek
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 A1 GP - Eastern Creek

If you see a Blue GTi180 parked near Turn 12 at Eastern Creek tomorrow, come and say hi!! There are 15 of us and will be there from 8am!! Bring the brolly....

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Stu
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

I was there, I think I actually may have seen your car. It's pretty unlikely there would be two Aegean blue cars parked behind the grandstand/turn 12. I was down at turn 1 on the hill.

It was an awesome day, great weather, and really close racing. I'll definately be going back next year. Hopefully the series really takes off!
    2005 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

I made it out there as well. I got there about 9am and watched the start of the F3 race from turn 1, then headed out to turn 12, you might have seen me in a red and black Marcus Grönholm Racing cap... After that I was at turn 9 on Corporate hill, and headed out to turn 2 for the last A1 race.
    It was a good decision going over to turn 2, 5 cars went off plus that big crash at turn 1
    I've got over 550 photos to sort through now... It was a good day of racing with plenty of action (read: crashes), but I guess that's what you get when you put inexperienced/crap drivers in fast cars
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

whats this new formulas series all about.. and why are they at lesser known tracks down under and not on the streets of Monarco?

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

For those who didn’t have the chance to go down and see the very first Australian round of A1, you have missed out big time. Being that it is new, there weren’t many people. The grand stand was only half full, and that is AFTER the discounted 25 dollars upgrade to Grand stand from gen admin, which obviously I took advantage of.

Plenty to see, from about 10 there’s the F Ford, F Holden and GT cars? (god those things sounded good!!), then F 3, and A1 Race 1, the rolling start which goes for about half an hour, and the main event A1 Race 2, stranding start. It was just a day full of petrol, noise and and more noise and fuel and motor racing, for peanuts! No contest with F1 yet, but then again I like this kind of no frills motor racing, and it isn’t like the A1 cars are slow, or not enough noise.

Plenty of action too, lost count of lead changes, plenty of crashes including one that severed the Japan car in half! But mostly plenty of motor SPORT where drivers have a go at each other. Besides the run away Frenchman, who end up winning both races, the rest of the field were pretty close together and there were real dog fights and position changes all the time.

Loved it, 80 bucks well spent.

Photos here http://img495.imageshack.us/img_view...trace1t0dw.jpg
    Karl
    -----------------

yeah, im well into the whole A1 thing, should be good. i want them to come down here dammit!

some nice photos there too.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

You guys already have the F1 AND Moto GP! A1 is rightly Sydney's! it was good, it was good racing, the phrase "have a go" apply to A1 for sure. And not just the drivers can be 1st in one lap, and a wrong pit stop becomes last (as happened to Lebanon...). It involves I think hapes of people that previously wouldn't come to watch a race, and a lot of countries that probably can not afford to stage an international series, or have a driver now can. That is why A1 is hosted on lesser known (sometimes) circuits. Would Lebanon, Ireland, Malaysia, China, South Africa be able to get into a world series racing easily? Hell no. A1 gives that, and gives the fans from those countries a reason to watch it. Besides tracks like Brands Hatch aren't exactly second rate, and the Chian round will be on the Shang Hai international circuit, the same as F1.
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    whats this new formulas series all about.. and why are they at lesser known tracks down under and not on the streets of Monarco?
    Its about equal money, technology and playing terms between teams. The only diference between each team is the driver, and strategy employed on race day.

Everythign else are shared, including pit screws. Everything in A1 are shared and used equal. It gives countries and drivers that previously can't afford, or have the ability to stage an international racing event the chance to do so.

It's back to the good old days of just driver Vs driver. Like I said, they are not all lesser known tracks. www.a1gp.com its all there to read up.
    Karl
    -----------------

It's an excellent breeding ground for both young drivers and for many countries who would not normall race. It's not often you see India or Pakistan in a race.

I also like the fact that the cars are equal and have no traction control. It's purely based on chassis setup and driver skill. This weekend the French had both.

Two weeks to go until Malaysia!
    2005 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix
    I was there, I think I actually may have seen your car. It's pretty unlikely there would be two Aegean blue cars parked behind the grandstand/turn 12. I was down at turn 1 on the hill.

It was an awesome day, great weather, and really close racing. I'll definately be going back next year. Hopefully the series really takes off!
    Yeah!! Must have been me - I was parked on a steep hill next to a "WICKED" Campervan on the "in-field". Got there at 8am so one of the first rows at the back of the grandstand.

I did not think there would be so many people and thus thought we would be able to park where we found was suitable on the day.

Was awesome day and a mate managed to get Pit Lane and grandstand access. Fantastic day had by all!

The a1GP race was just great if you like Chrysler 300's

I sat on the hill in the middle and watched them coming into the hairpin; interesting how many of them locked up - struck me there were a few excellent drivers up the front of the field, and some fairly average ones further down. The French guy was so dominating; he pulled out an 8 second gap in about 3 laps at one point (until the safety car came back out). The German guy never really got into the groove and made an error at the hairpin I think 4 laps in a row. The Australian guy seemed to be driving acceptably briskly, neatly and seemingly nicely within his limits.

Favourite racing was the Viper vs Ferrari.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Favourite racing was the Viper vs Ferrari.
    For $750K, the Ferrari should be good!! How nice was it to see some good racing like you mentioned. A few laps in, the computer stuffed up in his car and paddle shift on the car stopped working, he was rolling (at speed) down the main straight whilst it reset itself, caught a gear and was off again - got left behind by the Viper at Turn 1 but come the next lap coming around the back of Corporate Hill, guess what, they were back together again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man
    For $750K, the Ferrari should be good!! How nice was it to see some good racing like you mentioned. A few laps in, the computer stuffed up in his car and paddle shift on the car stopped working, he was rolling (at speed) down the main straight whilst it reset itself, caught a gear and was off again - got left behind by the Viper at Turn 1 but come the next lap coming around the back of Corporate Hill, guess what, they were back together again!
    I was astonished how that Viper pulled away on the straight, less so how the Ferrari was immediately back with him at the first sign of a corner. So rare to have racing of diverse cars like that nowadays. More's the pity.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the A1 GP is damn good to watch

the cars are even

very little dirty air so = close racing

no ABS

nice little engines

much more entertaining than F1 that's for sure

i hope it takes off in a big way but stays competetive

the same goes for the aussie racing cars, i reckon they are so much better to watch then V8 tourers and well within the realms of a lot of people if they want to get into motor racing

$40k buys you a car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

this series sounds fantastic!!!

lets all chip in and buy a car we can drive it for how ever many laps each it works out over the season devide by how many chip in

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information