Paint protection
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Paint protection

Is this worth it at $795?! I always get the spiel from someone at the dealership who calls about tinting, body paint protection and interior treatment.

Is it worth all the money? I'd rather get it detailed and protect it that way.
    My only concern is bird droppings and stone chips. otherwise i'm parked indoors, so no tree sap etc.

Advertisement

Not in my opinion. Speak to the aftermarket guys that do it. At least you will pay less.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

that's what i figured. she quoted $545 for tinting, when it costs them $395 and I can get it for $250 under the RACV members discount! and I know it's the identical product.

i will just stick to good old detail and protect it that way with polish and 3 times wax.

Choice magazine checked these products a couple of years ago. The one thing that stood out in my memory was that you could buy the paint protection stuff from a car accessories place and apply it yourself for $45.
    Keep your money in your pocket.Have you seen the movie Fargo? William H Macy trying to sell paint protection to a new car customer. Quite an amusing scene.
    Dom

1000+ Posts

Most of the "paint protection" products are polymer sealants (i.e. polyglaze etc).
    not too bad, but i wouldnt rely on them for more than a month.

Something like Klasse & now Meguiars NXT, is an acrylic sealant & much tougher, should be ok for about 6 months, but i re-do after every 4 to be sure.

its complete & utter ......

Go & have a read through the "car care products" page

As for tints, there's 2 places in the US that make the "good stuff" i was told. $250 would be the limit for a decent job on a Clio i'd say.

Paint protection is a scam.... just wax and polish every couple of months..

Fellow Frogger!

sounds good. thanks guys for the info. i'll be visiting my local trusty car wash for a detail.

Quote Originally Posted by dom19
    Choice magazine checked these products a couple of years ago. The one thing that stood out in my memory was that you could buy the paint protection stuff from a car accessories place and apply it yourself for $45.
    Keep your money in your pocket.Have you seen the movie Fargo? William H Macy trying to sell paint protection to a new car customer. Quite an amusing scene.
    Dom
    The thing that stood out to me was garaging made the only real difference ...
    205gti

Thread Information