Replacing a clutch
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replacing a clutch

This is probably an old question, but I did a thread search and didn't find anything.

How do you know when it's time to replace the clutch?

Advertisement

Will it fail the Stall Test before I run into trouble in the real world? At the moment it stalls in 4th after about 1 second.

Are there other signs to look out for?

Having found out the embarrassing way about fuel guage and fuel warning-light problems in a previous car, I'm paranoid about being stuck at the bottom of a hill out in the country with passengers.

(1988 205 XLD with 203,000 miles, unless you believe the vendor who said, "When they brought it to Australia they wound on an extra 50,000 miles to avoid tax." Clutch pedal travel between zero grip and full grip is about half an inch.)
    1980 604 [gone to a richer owner]
    1988 205 XLD Diesel

Old Peugeots never die, they just get more peculiar looking.

Tadpole

In my experience usually in 5th gear going up a slight hill, trying to accelerate, the clutch looses its grip and the engine will rev freely as if you have the clutch pedal pused in. This then starts to happen in 4th and then 3rd.

Of course this is what will happen in a clutch that is wearing normally. A clutch that explodes from "racing" gear changes will leave you stranded.

UFO

In my opinion it sounds like something is well out of adjustment and not perhaps that the clutch is worn. Anyone else?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

FWIW,

Take a close look around before you leap in.
    We had one on a TZi that I was ready to order the new clutch kit on and decided I'd haul the old one out first just to be sure as like you, I had suspicions.
    In the process, I noticed the bolt missing from the lower engine mount; fitted a new one and all of a sudden we have good pedal and no clutch hassles, but this one was even slipping under power but apparently that was caused by the engine floating around and stuffing up all the adjustment settings.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    FWIW,

Take a close look around before you leap in.
    We had one on a TZi that I was ready to order the new clutch kit on and decided I'd haul the old one out first just to be sure as like you, I had suspicions.
    In the process, I noticed the bolt missing from the lower engine mount; fitted a new one and all of a sudden we have good pedal and no clutch hassles, but this one was even slipping under power but apparently that was caused by the engine floating around and stuffing up all the adjustment settings.

Alan S
    If it makes you feel better, you can be thankful you don't own a 404. To replace the clutch you have a choice:

a) remove engine
    b) remove rear suspension and work forward

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    If it makes you feel better, you can be thankful you don't own a 404. To replace the clutch you have a choice:

a) remove engine
    b) remove rear suspension and work forward

I've done a couple of clutch changes on 404's.Found taking the back axle out with torque tube attached to be a piece of cake.Only 3(or 4? it was a while ago) allen bolts holding the bell housing to engine. A couple of trolley jacks in the right places., no worries. Beats doing a Triumph 2500. 20 something bolts & nuts securing bell housing to engine!!
    Dom

Thread Information