New froggy car released
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,073

    Default New froggy car released

    Just had a good look at the Yaris which is made in France. The director of manufacturing told me that the quality is quite good after suggesting to him that it probably be not up to scratch because it's not being built at Altona.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Hardly a french car at all. Just what the rest of the world that deosn't call it Yaris calls it the Echo

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,678

    Default New froggy car?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Just had a good look at the Yaris which is made in France. The director of manufacturing told me that the quality is quite good after suggesting to him that it probably be not up to scratch because it's not being built at Altona.
    JoBo,
    For Yaris read Echo.
    The Toyo Echo was a French design that was marketed in Europe as the Yaris. I believe that the Echo/Yaris were assembled in France ?

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,073

    Default

    [QUOTE=Wildebeest]JoBo,
    For Yaris read Echo.
    The Toyo Echo was a French design that was marketed in Europe as the Yaris. I believe that the Echo/Yaris were assembled in France ?[/QUOTE
    ]
    You are probably right. Just read in the Herald Sun that the Yaris is built in Takoaka in Japan. Maybe it's built in both places. I'll find out soon enough.
    Seem to remember that at least one French car company uses the same car with their badge.
    Got a good report anyway.

  5. #5
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    I believe the term you are looking for is "designed in France."

    We are soon to get the Yaris but after a short run of Japanese-built units, will be built in Korea.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  6. #6
    Sense Pug307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    We are soon to get the Yaris but after a short run of Japanese-built units, will be built in Korea.
    It's already here.

    Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

  7. #7
    nJm
    nJm is offline
    Guru nJm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    [QUOTE=JoBo]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Seem to remember that at least one French car company uses the same car with their badge.
    You're thinking about this trio:

    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR


    "All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! BlackC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    189

    Default

    [/QUOTE]
    You are probably right. Just read in the Herald Sun that the Yaris is built in Takoaka in Japan. Maybe it's built in both places. I'll find out soon enough.
    [/QUOTE]

    The car we know as Echo (just replaced by what we'll know as Yaris) was built and sold in Japan as the Toyota Vitz.

    So there.
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

    Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

    (Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

  9. #9
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    [QUOTE=nJm]
    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo

    You're thinking about this trio:


    the worst thing is that the toyota is the best of the ugly looking bunch

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,073

    Default

    Saw the Yaris in the'flesh', don't think any of them look ugly. But tastes differ.

  11. #11
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Saw the Yaris in the'flesh', don't think any of them look ugly. But tastes differ.
    The Yaris and the 3 cars pictured above are not the same.

    For the record I don't think the 107,Aygo & C1 are ugly either
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  12. #12
    Tadpole ozVTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    21

    Default

    The car we (Australia) currently know as the Echo, was sold all around the world in many different guises. We have both the hatches and the sedans (both called Echo). The US only gets the sedan (called Echo). In Japan they were known as the Platz (sedan) and Vitz (hatch). In Europe the hatch was called Vitz but in place of the sedan they had a wagon version, the Verso!
    From now on all that will change with the new Yaris!
    “The new Yaris has been designed at ED2, Toyota’s European design studio in the South of France.”
    I did a lot of research on the Echo when I was looking for a new car.
    By the way, I bought the Citroen C2.
    Last edited by ozVTR; 30th October 2005 at 03:09 AM.

  13. #13
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ozVTR
    The car we (Australia) currently know as the Echo, was sold all around the world in many different guises. We have both the hatches and the sedans (both called Echo). The US only gets the sedan (called Echo). In Japan they were known as the Platz (sedan) and Vitz (hatch). In Europe the hatch was called Vitz but in place of the sedan they had a wagon version, the Verso!
    From now on all that will change with the new Yaris!
    “The new Yaris has been designed at ED2, Toyota’s European design studio in the South of France.”
    I did a lot of research on the Echo when I was looking for a new car.
    By the way, I bought the Citroen C2.
    I had an Echo hire car once. Quite competent and well designed little vehicle. I worked out why they called it an Echo too. An echo is sound bouncing off hard things, and this had a ride that was analogous to a sound echo. Bounced off everything! My old R8 is much better (but not for power, space, safety and equipment it must be said.....)

    JohnW
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Rumour has it the name 'Pitz' was touted but didn't clinic too well.


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,790

    Default Boring similar designs

    [QUOTE=orestes]
    Quote Originally Posted by nJm


    the worst thing is that the toyota is the best of the ugly looking bunch
    You could put a VW Golf in the middle of that lot and it would look like a family member of the design group, add the small Astra and the small Mitsubishi too, they are all so boringly similar (Barina'ish) its not funny.

    Ken

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •