Help wanted welding in new front floor in R4
  • Register
  • Help

Default Help wanted welding in new front floor in R4

Hi I've just bought a Renault R4 that has bad rust in the front floor, I have a replacement floor pan but don't have the skills to cut out the old floor and weld the new one in. Quotes from panel beaters are very expensive, so is there anyone out there would do it for me for a reasonable price? Please e-mail me at [email protected] or phone 9380 1753 (Melbourne)

Advertisement
    Last edited by bgbiteme; 16th October 2005 at 01:46 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bgbiteme
    Hi I've just bought a Renault R4 that has bad rust in the front floor, I have a replacement floor pan but don't have the skills to cut out the old floor and weld the new one in. Quotes from panel beaters are very expensive, so is there anyone out there would do it for me for a reasonable price?
    Try Alan near Kynton, if he has time his charge is very reasonable 0438513090

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Try Alan near Kynton, if he has time his charge is very reasonable 0438513090
    Thanks for the tip, just spoke with him and he's got jobs lined up for the next 12 months and can't do it. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bgbiteme
    Thanks for the tip, just spoke with him and he's got jobs lined up for the next 12 months and can't do it. Any other suggestions?
    This sounds pretty stupid, but you could look at taking a welding course and doing it yourself. Oxy or MIG it isn't a huge job. You may well find an appropriate course at an evening/community college. CIT in Canberra runs stuff like that but I think your TAFE is out of that business now.

Welding is a great skill to have, take the time to learn and you wont have to pay people for basic stuff like that.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

What's the rest of the floor pan like? Australian R4's rust from the inside out, so all the box sections under the toeboard, inside the side chassis rails above the jacking points etc. could be very thin in the floor panel where it can't be seen, and possibly require even more extensive repairs. Water tends to fill the front floor, then travels into the unseen internal box sections, there is no internal rust protection. The steel is very thin, and the consequent rust can be like termites, unseen until the surface is probed with something like a geologists' pick used gently, or a probing screw driver, if you don't probe Mr Roadworthy Inspector may.

Wanna buy a rust free R4 shell cheap?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information