Renault roll a fat one
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault roll a fat one

ONE WRONG TYRE YOU RECKON...SEE PIC

Advertisement

Having had a closer look at the tyres on the car when it's upside down I think we have to look elsewhere. 5 stars might not be forthcoming on this test

Why is it a Renault?
    It looks like a Skoda or something with that badge

Administrator

I guess it has good mid-corner grip then

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    Why is it a Renault?
    It looks like a Skoda or something with that badge
    If you blow up one of the pics the badge reads "Dacia" which is what the car will be called in UK according to the article. Strange though not to have the Renault Diamond?

Notice the Crash Test Dummy is not wearing a crash helmet? Either very unprofessional for an official handling test program, or a clue that this is some sort of "ring-in" photograph?

Cheers.

1000+ Posts

Wasn't there already a thread on this ages ago?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

That article is dated in early August so you may be right Stuey.

The car is so cheap, it can't be expected to be that safe, I mean really. But they are Poms so why would'nt they complain? Originally Renault were'nt going to sell the car in Western Europe at all, but they complained about that too!

Given the number of people who buy Hyundia's, Kia's etc, I do not think this safety issue is going to be a huge problem. Only negative thing it could do is reflect poorly on Renault.

For the target market it was designed for, the car will be infinately better in every way (including safety) than the Trabant their family patiently waited 30 years for from the Soviets, which they drive at the moment

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Wasn't there already a thread on this ages ago?
    Here's two previous ones.

Logan wins three stars in Euro NCAP tests
    Logan Revolution, declinason

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Renault, no wonder
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    Renault, no wonder
    Smart arse

I wonder how long it will take

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    That article is dated in early August so you may be right Stuey.

For the target market it was designed for, the car will be infinately better in every way (including safety) than the Trabant their family patiently waited 30 years for from the Soviets, which they drive at the moment
    Trabbies are an appreciating asset, Romanians have driven Renaults for yonks under the Dacia badge...so for them you are talking replacement of the 12 with the Logan. Trabants were never a prodiuct of the Soviet Union ... always built in Germany. Soviet cars were Ladas, Volgas and the like....and you can blame FIAT for most of them. Skodas used to be Czech Renault 10's but later grew into VW's

As for the "can't expect it to be safe because it is so cheap" statement, have another think about it.....this car will not sell well if it isn't at least as safe as its rivals in the marketplace. If it is dangerous then it shouldn't be sold full stop.....If it was an A class I guess you could always look for a moose with bigger antlers.

If in fact it is dodgy I personally hope that injured punters sue Renault/Dacia to the point where the model is withdrawn.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    Renault, no wonder
    Oh well at least we can't boast Ronald McDonald as our lead driver.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    As for the "can't expect it to be safe because it is so cheap" statement, have another think about it.....this car will not sell well if it isn't at least as safe as its rivals in the marketplace. If it is dangerous then it shouldn't be sold full stop.....If it was an A class I guess you could always look for a moose with bigger antlers.

If in fact it is dodgy I personally hope that injured punters sue Renault/Dacia to the point where the model is withdrawn.

From most reports I've read the Logan handles and rides suprisingly well considering the competition in it's segment (well it doesn't have any rivals really but anyway...).

I'm sure you'd know that virtually any car (with the right conditions) can (or can be induced to) roll over...

Provided there is sufficient friction when a high(ish) speed slide commences physics will play their part and I'd imagine that as tyre compuonds have become grippier over the years it will become more likely than ever in small n tall cars...

FWIW, well rubbered tallish cars with good turn in and front end grip (such as a RCS or GTi180) are probably more likely than most to roll over, as the extra grip will allow the car to develop more yaw prior to sliding...Many 'non-sporty' FWD chassis will just start plough understeering well before they can create enough change of attitude to start a 4 wheel slide...the instigating factor in most roll overs

As for safety, admittedly it doesn't have 27 airbags but 3 stars is quite consistent with some of the more expensive cars form it's nearest segment (Echo/Getz for example) and until about 5 years ago when many manufacturers followed Renault's push towards 5 star safety across its range, 3 stars would've been quite reasonable for a Logan sized car...

The Logan is built to a price, there is no denying that. That it does such a good job for that price is probably why they are selling so well and why there was a huge demand for them to be sold in Western Europe...

1000+ Posts

Trabbies are an appreciating asset, Romanians have driven Renaults for yonks under the Dacia badge...so for them you are talking replacement of the 12 with the Logan. Trabants were never a prodiuct of the Soviet Union ... always built in Germany. Soviet cars were Ladas, Volgas and the like....and you can blame FIAT for most of them. Skodas used to be Czech Renault 10's but later grew into VW's

Good grief.

Trabants are indeed an 'appreciating asset' for several reasons. People are buying them for prosterity reasons, and having lots of fun restoring them. they are so poorly made that even though many of them were made, parts are relatively scarce! Small supply and large demand = joyfully increasing prices! Fabulous. They are most certainly not an 'appreciating asset' because they were a good car, no one would argue that - surely?. I mean I have a newspaper ad somewhere my dad brought back from the Soviet Union (yeah, he is old as) advertising the vitues of its "New Re-inforced Cardboard Dash!".

The Trabant came from East Germany, and lets not beat about the bush. That WAS part of the Soviet Union.

As I was saying, this Logan is not being built to compete with the new Mercedes S-Klasse with its nightvision, 5 trillion airbags, deplyable anti-proletariat star, with its fancy interior - each of which requires the sacrifice of 1000 Cows and an Amazon rainforest.

This *new* car is competing with the used car market. And, originally was intended for Eastern Europe (hence my careless assault on the defenceless Trabby) only. A-B cheap transport takes precedence over safety.

I agree it is worrying though that the A-pillar went to tea before lunch was called, but its hardly a disaster.

And the whole rolling over thing is a storm in a teacup (if you will), this car is designed to serve honourably on roads that have not been graded since Ze Germans went touring in WW2. Remember who this car is aimed at. Not greenie "downshifters" but at people who are actually poor and went to get from A to B without spending every weekend tending to their tractor/Volga/Zil Soviet era POS' latest problem.

I think perhaps you have misconceptions about who this car is aimed at Bogmaster, but thats just my humble opinion

1000+ Posts

Default Sort of reminds me of.

This whole rollover thing reminds me of the beloved VW beetles and the number of them that rolled as soon as they hit loose dirt on a corner on our Australian Roads. There was a thriving industry cutting and shutting these bodies as for some reason most damaged one end or one side, hence the ease of matching bits.

Still you talk to owners of those early VW's and they get all misty eyed even when you know that they also lost a few to the dreaded, shredded fan belt and the fire that followed - easy to dump in a new old motor from a wreck, there were plenty of them

Well the Trabant was a bit like that, you could fix it easily and most backyard mechanics cut their teeth on those cars, a bit of string, some fencing wire and some leather strapping would work wonders and if a bit dropped off it could usually be belted straight with a No 2 Engineers hammer and rivetted or wired back on - it all added to the character and not much money, dosh, moola,marks, whatever changed hands.

Sort of like the indestructable nature of Fuego engines, the legend grows, but some idiot will destroy one, just like they destroyed the great VW Beetle,in a multitude of dirt road rollovers, they just didn't know how to drive them.

I wonder how many cars a stunt driver destroys while learning to drive it along on two wheels instead of four! , easy to flip any car if the camber and conditions are right and you are taking it to the edge!!

He looks quite composed for someone in a car thats rolling onto its lid........

looks like a set up, or if not a set up, at least a deliberate roll, to push the envelope........

however most professional drivers would have a helmet, gloves, and some sort of protective clothing if they were intending on tipping it over.......

who knows.........

reminds me of a story i heard from an old seasoned citroen driver.......he says that way back in the day, citroen, as a publicity stunt, offered some sort of prize (money i think) to anyone who could roll the D deliberatly (on a flat pad of course)..................

and he tells me it made quite a good marketing ploy because noone could do it.........

i dont know the merits of this story im told, but id believe it......

1000+ Posts

Its rivals will be based entirely on price, so I think it'll be fine.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Good grief.

The Trabant came from East Germany, and lets not beat about the bush. That WAS part of the Soviet Union.

I
    That's not right Serge....the Soviet Union shared a government of which East Germany was not a part. East Germany and a host of other sovereign East European nations were closely allied and bonded by the threat of force through the Warsaw pact to the USSR but never ever part of it. (like Czechoslovakia, Romania, Bulgaria etc.)

IF Renault decides to flog this car in Western markets and it is inherently dangerous, then yes I would expect and hope that they would be sued.

The issue for eastern europe has been selling locally built vehicles of poor finish designed for the most part in the 60's and 70's against second hand vehicles from Western Europe. In that environment the Logan fits well enough.

Thread Information