Safety Headbands - Would wear one?
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Would you wear a protective headband in your car?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definately all of the time

4 8.00%
  • Yes, but not on all trips

11 22.00%
  • No, I like my hair too much

31 62.00%
  • Undecided

4 8.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Safety Headbands - Would wear one?

In the current issue of Wheels, the safety article talks about the use of a safety headband. Made of a similar material to a bicycle helmet, but without the top part... think Star Wars Empire uniform headgear.

Question is, would you wear one if they were available? They seriously cut head injuries and are better than side airbags (although they don't mention roof liner airbags in the article).

http://www.mymane.net/photos/Wheels1005

Advertisement
    Last edited by GTI124; 12th October 2005 at 07:06 PM.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

depends what they look like, plus i wouldnt mind being only half dead

sankie you half there already bro!!!!!!!!!1

only if made by Versace, right

ed ge

I would wear one if it's as cool as the cap that Rossi wears
    Spot me RS265 around Terrey Hills > Frenchs Forest > CBD > Zetland

if it looked like this id wear one but id need to get a matching spectacle
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    depends what they look liked
    How about the Tron look?

Troy.

I shall wear something similar to the next cruise.

hahah that looks very trendy asanka
    make sure u rock up in the rustiest 404 you can find though
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

no friggen way. we may as well just walk. Maybe they will make fire retardant balaclavas mandatory too

I wouldn't wear one. Unless the government made it madatory so that then we were all in the same boat and all had to look like freaks while we drove. I guess once seatbealts weren't mandatory, now you wouldn't consider driving off without putting on your seatbelt, so I guess it could happen...

and now, another useless picture, for no particular reason of the Tron man freak...

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    In the current issue of Wheels, the safety article talks about the use of a safety headband. Made of a similar material to a bicycle helmet, but without the top part... think Star Wars Empire uniform headgear.

Question is, would you wear one if they were available? They seriously cut head injuries and are better than side airbags (although they don't mention roof liner airbags in the article).
    I'd rather wearing open face helmet, I'll go order a Stilo WRC one with bluetooth for my mobile phone too !!
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    and now, another useless picture, for no particular reason of the Tron man freak...
    Ugh! No! Would you please think of the children?

Troy.

XTC

Not unless they made it law ... airbags in most modern cars are a large enough passive safety measure. I think we'll have electronic measures (like a GPS speed governed car) before these type of measures come in.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

No. Unless we all get to wear the TRON MAN outfit.

There was a driving instructor interviewed on some UK show, who contested that cars should have a large spike in the centre of the steering wheel that would impale the driver in the event of a collision. The reasoning was, drivers would be much more careful on the roads.

I do not agree. The manufactures already put a small explosive charge in the airbag devices, I say, make it bigger and delete the bag.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    I'd rather wearing open face helmet, I'll go order a Stilo WRC one with bluetooth for my mobile phone too !!
    That's the whole problem, helmets would save a lot of lives, but it's illegal to wear one on the road.

Here's the article: http://www.mymane.net/photos/Wheels1005
    - Lincoln

..... why not just design the car safer & better, not cheaper. Linc, do you know if there is a push for a standardised global safety benchmark for which all mass auto manufacturers will have to meet?
    Id rather see that than head bands, anything that attaches to your body in such a manner is getting too close to personal space for my liking.
    Plus it will start a whole new rebelion, safety cap backwards klan -Chris
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16

Wear it backwards... hmmm
    So in the event of a crash the Cerebral Cortex would be damaged & the Cerebellum would be fine... so we'd end up with really stupid people driving & only being able to carry out repetitive tasks... LOL... what'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    ..... why not just design the car safer & better, not cheaper. Linc, do you know if there is a push for a standardised global safety benchmark for which all mass auto manufacturers will have to meet?
    Id rather see that than head bands, anything that attaches to your body in such a manner is getting too close to personal space for my liking.
    Well it's not MY idea! I just thought it was an interesting debate. Certainly at the moment it's illegal to have a four point harness, roll cage and helmet in your car, even though this would provide a very high amount of safety. Why is it if you want to take steps to make your car safer, you're prevented?

As for making cars safer, as the article says, that even with the latest technology, these hand bands would still be significantly beneficial. If we're serious about cutting the road injuries (not just fatalities), then we should be looking at this stuff.
    - Lincoln

XTC

If we're serious about cutting the road injuries (not just fatalities), then we should be looking at this stuff.
    If we're truly serious about injuries and fatalities, we shouldn't be driving !! hahaha

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    If we're truly serious about injuries and fatalities, we shouldn't be driving !! hahaha

- xTc -
    There's a pretty big difference between wearing a headband and not driving. Surely, it's not such a drastic suggestion!

Do you ride a bike without a helmet, or just not ride because they're compulsory?

I guess, that raises another point... no point in bringing in legilsation mandating the use of these bands if noone enforces it... like cyclists and helmets...
    - Lincoln

There's a pretty big difference between wearing a headband and not driving. Surely, it's not such a drastic suggestion!

Do you ride a bike without a helmet, or just not ride because they're compulsory?

I guess, that raises another point... no point in bringing in legilsation mandating the use of these bands if noone enforces it... like cyclists and helmets...
    Not sure how much politics are involved in this headband thing, easiet quickest way is for people to wear a helemt, already made, proven it works...

the only problem i can think of is the helmet maybe causing neck injuries with the added weight and inertia during an accident, and some people can't wear them for medical reasons.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

XTC

I see far more helmet wearing cyclists then those that don't (at least around here) .. and they do enforce it, police do checks on the bike paths (where people don't think they need one). I think the fine is $50 or $100, anyway not wearing a helmet while cycling is natural section at work.

But it's all a case of our BRAINS being too big for our bodies. We (humans) where not designed to move any faster then as fast as we can run ... but being the clever little tykes we are, we've found ways of getting around that (it's only in the last 100 years we've worked out how to fly*). * not including balloons etc.

But evolutionary we've not matured to a point that our bodies can take the kind of punishment that moving even 40kph inside a tin-can (or even outside on a horse or bike etc) can/will inflict on us in the case of an accident. So mentally we're invincible, physically in principle we're still the same pathetic "sack of water" we have always been ... so until we evolve an exoskeleton maybe we should acknowledge we are not meant to fly, drive, ride etc .. but gee it's fun

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Administrator

So mentally we're invincible
    Obviously you and I deal with a different clientele...

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    Not sure how much politics are involved in this headband thing, easiet quickest way is for people to wear a helemt, already made, proven it works...

the only problem i can think of is the helmet maybe causing neck injuries with the added weight and inertia during an accident, and some people can't wear them for medical reasons.
    I think the band reaches a nice compromise. A helmet would be incredibly impractical in an every day car.

As for cyclists wearing helmets, the majority that I see in Sydney city do not, and I haven't seen a policeman pull someone up. Social cyclists tend to wear them more often, but the commuters rarely do.
    - Lincoln

I see far more helmet wearing cyclists then those that don't (at least around here) .. and they do enforce it, police do checks on the bike paths (where people don't think they need one). I think the fine is $50 or $100, anyway not wearing a helmet while cycling is natural section at work.

But it's all a case of our BRAINS being too big for our bodies. We (humans) where not designed to move any faster then as fast as we can run ... but being the clever little tykes we are, we've found ways of getting around that (it's only in the last 100 years we've worked out how to fly*). * not including balloons etc.

But evolutionary we've not matured to a point that our bodies can take the kind of punishment that moving even 40kph inside a tin-can (or even outside on a horse or bike etc) can/will inflict on us in the case of an accident. So mentally we're invincible, physically in principle we're still the same pathetic "sack of water" we have always been ... so until we evolve an exoskeleton maybe we should acknowledge we are not meant to fly, drive, ride etc .. but gee it's fun

- xTc -
    I think that's all fairly obvious, but we do move and we can reduce mobility injuries and deaths, regardless.
    - Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information