Motobecane Velox Solex
  • Register
  • Help

Default Motobecane Velox Solex

I have recently purchased a 1967 velox solex moped in original concours condition ,just to compliment the 2cv ,C3 & Scenic. Any other Froggers have one of these performance machines?

Advertisement

Icon10 Yes Yes Yes

Quote Originally Posted by routley43
    I have recently purchased a 1967 velox solex moped in original concours condition ,just to compliment the 2cv ,C3 & Scenic. Any other Froggers have one of these performance machines?
    YES YES YES (I have 3 of them!!!)

3800 (see pic)
    4600 (small wheels - not running yet)
    2200 (quite old - not running yet)

Funny thing is all the other owners I know in Aust. have Citroens too.
    I met one chap who didn't have a Cit - but he sold it (perhaps to a Cit owner?)

Where did yours come from?

So many projects - so little time.

Fellow Frogger!

I know of two other people in Melbourne who have a solex, and yes they are both Citroen owners.

Maybe a Solex column would be helpful ?

Default velox solex 1967 3800

I got mine from EuroBrit Motorcycles in Greensborough, Vic.
    I used to ride one whilst based in in Tahiti back in the 70's & always thought I would one day like to own one.
    Alas mine does not have the engine protection bars,however I do not intend to drop it.
    I think a Velox column is a great idea as info in Anglaise is a bit thin on the ground especially here in Oz
    I did speak to a Vic Cit club member who has A Velox prior to my buying , but unfortunately I cannot remember his Nom! Old Age!!

I got mine from EuroBrit Motorcycles in Greensborough, Vic.
    I used to ride one whilst based in in Tahiti back in the 70's & always thought I would one day like to own one.
    Alas mine does not have the engine protection bars,however I do not intend to drop it.
    I think a Velox column is a great idea as info in Anglaise is a bit thin on the ground especially here in Oz
    I did speak to a Vic Cit club member who has A Velox prior to my buying , but unfortunately I cannot remember his Nom! Old Age!!
    After owning one for a few years, I have found quite a bit of VeloSolex stuff on the WWW. I am a member of this Yahoo Group & get a daily digest.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solexownersofamerica/

A good English (UK) site is:

the National Autocycle & Cyclemotor Club

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pa...rc0492.htm#008

The relevant area is Les Amis du VéloSoleX - Bryan Hollinshead is the lucky author!!

PS: you really need an engine guard as the bikes will fall over by themselves as the centre stand is under engineered. I have found if you let young people ride it they tend to be uncoordinated and drop it.
    If it falls on the wrong side it will break your fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    After owning one for a few years, I have found quite a bit of VeloSolex stuff on the WWW. I am a member of this Yahoo Group & get a daily digest.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solexownersofamerica/

A good English (UK) site is:

the National Autocycle & Cyclemotor Club

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pa...rc0492.htm#008

The relevant area is Les Amis du VéloSoleX - Bryan Hollinshead is the lucky author!!

PS: you really need an engine guard as the bikes will fall over by themselves as the centre stand is under engineered. I have found if you let young people ride it they tend to be uncoordinated and drop it.
    If it falls on the wrong side it will break your fuel tank
    I think I had better get an engine guard fabricated.Thanks for the pics

Icon10

I think I had better get an engine guard fabricated.Thanks for the pics
    I sometimes see them on eBay.
    If I spot one I will alert you.

A new one = USD $70.66 (Engine Guard [chrome bumper] part #SPC90145 ) from VeloCruz they are good guys.

VeloCruz USA

For a 2nd hand one - well I bought a new piston for my old model from JOEL LEVINE (USA) on eBay, he may have one as he seems to wreck Solex's. Although I think he is a tad expensive, he has hard to get stuff.

On eBay go to Item number:

4565369227 and follow the link to his store

or

JOEL LEVINE USA

Default Motobecane Velox?Solex..

I believe Motobecane and VeloSolex are separate companies?
    The Motobecane design is more like a "step thru". The VeloSolex drives the front wheel via a tyre roller.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    I believe Motobecane and Motobecane are separate companies?
    The Motobecane design is more like a "step thru". The VeloSolex drives the front wheel via a tyre roller.
    Yes - you are right, except Motobecane bought out VeloSolex at one stage in '70s (like Peugeot bought Citroen) and continued to produce the traditional fwd model. Then I think they then sold Solex to Yamaha (?) who ceased production.
    But then the name got sold to a group who didnt make them, & 2 other companies in Hungary & China continued to make them (or copies - i dunno - no one does!). Bit like VW getting/not getting RR.
    Latest thing is that Cibie have bought the name & rights. They presently assemble the original design 2 stroke VeloSolex (I think), but have just announced an all new electric VeloSolex with a retro design sort of like a PT Cruiser thing. Actually it looks very cool &/or chic.
    Cibie is a good brand - but if its traditional French electrics - they had better keep the moped pedals so you can get home!!

Default velox solex

Yes - you are right, except Motobecane bought out VeloSolex at one stage in '70s (like Peugeot bought Citroen) and continued to produce the traditional fwd model. Then I think they then sold Solex to Yamaha (?) who ceased production.
    But then the name got sold to a group who didnt make them, & 2 other companies in Hungary & China continued to make them (or copies - i dunno - no one does!). Bit like VW getting/not getting RR.
    Latest thing is that Cibie have bought the name & rights. They presently assemble the original design 2 stroke VeloSolex (I think), but have just announced an all new electric VeloSolex with a retro design sort of like a PT Cruiser thing. Actually it looks very cool &/or chic.
    Cibie is a good brand - but if its traditional French electrics - they had better keep the moped pedals so you can get home!!
    Thanks for your help ,I will check out the W/sites you mentioned ,Maybe its better to buy a bumper from one of the recognised suppliers as I'm sure to have one fabricated here would be a lot more expensive.
    Had a nice ride this afternoon.

Had a nice ride this afternoon.
    Good stuff!!
    I like them as they are low/no maintenance - sort of like a pushbike with no battery to go flat (tyres maybe). Leave in the shed & then get it out & away you go - buzzing all the way.

Except - you need to check the crank & cylinder nuts for tightness once in a while as these motors tend to shake those nuts loose and they loose power. A little dab of Loctite is all thats needed.

Have you learned to brake the machine using the decompression lever yet? Its the best brake on the bike!

Here's is a real froggy photo :

Default Velox -Solex

Good stuff!!
    I like them as they are low/no maintenance - sort of like a pushbike with no battery to go flat (tyres maybe). Leave in the shed & then get it out & away you go - buzzing all the way.

Except - you need to check the crank & cylinder nuts for tightness once in a while as these motors tend to shake those nuts loose and they loose power. A little dab of Loctite is all thats needed.

Have you learned to brake the machine using the decompression lever yet? Its the best brake on the bike!

Here's is a real froggy photo :

I ordered a set of those gaskets on Ebaytoday
    Please enlighten me on compression braking if you dont mind.I will go check those nuts .
    I enquired about an engine crash bar from Joel Levine ,so I await a reply.
    Nice pic & the R8 looks good ,they were a nice car!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'd love to get my hands on one of them.... To ride to work & back. I seem to remember they are worth *very* good $$$ though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I'd love to get my hands on one of them.... To ride to work & back. I seem to remember they are worth *very* good $$$ though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I might take it to Cit -In if I can transport it .NO I won't be riding it from Newcastle to Dubbo. They are NOT cheap but they are great! Parts seem a bit expensive compared to the 2CV.
    I note the new Manufacturer has no Dealer here in OZ
    google" blacknroll" for more info
    Last edited by routley43; 11th October 2005 at 04:55 PM.

I had a quick squizze on the local site here in Sweden and found a few mopeds at around 100 to 800 dollars. 3800s and anotherie.
    How fast can you cruise along on with one of those ? It might just be necessary for me to get a moped.
    We have a little group of moped enthusiasts here in the village that ride at least once a month during the summer on their old mopeds. It is a cult thing here as mopeds have a long history here.
    These peugeot types actually are referred to as 'knallerts' as apposed to mopeds. Probably because the motor is on the front or because it is the Danish name for mopeds and the rules in Denmark were a little different.
    Here is a site that has little course for those that cannot get a moped. It is a course on how to sound like a moped after only three days, amaze your friends! http://www.mo-ped.se/linkq.htm

Okay , but how fast can I reckon on cruising on?

Quote Originally Posted by Filldebin
    I had a quick squizze on the local site here in Sweden and found a few mopeds at around 100 to 800 dollars. 3800s and anotherie.
    How fast can you cruise along on with one of those ? It might just be necessary for me to get a moped.
    We have a little group of moped enthusiasts here in the village that ride at least once a month during the summer on their old mopeds. It is a cult thing here as mopeds have a long history here.
    These peugeot types actually are referred to as 'knallerts' as apposed to mopeds. Probably because the motor is on the front or because it is the Danish name for mopeds and the rules in Denmark were a little different.
    Here is a site that has little course for those that cannot get a moped. It is a course on how to sound like a moped after only three days, amaze your friends! http://www.mo-ped.se/linkq.htm

Okay , but how fast can I reckon on cruising on?
    they are a hell of a lot more than those prices you quote but its a bit like 2cv prices they also are expensive compared to europe but usually have vitually no rust I think you can comfortable do about 15-20klm per hour. I am amazed at the power on hills even steep ones

That is inspiration to steal the NSU Quickly moped my Dad has and get it going again. I got it going once and had a ball on it about the farm. Surprisingly quick little jiggers.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    That is inspiration to steal the NSU Quickly moped my Dad has and get it going again. I got it going once and had a ball on it about the farm. Surprisingly quick little jiggers.
    Did you know that the SEC (State Electricity Commission Vic.) used to have fleets of NSU Quickly's for their workers. Perhaps that where your dad's one came from??

And the Salvation Army used to use Solex Mopeds (but made in UK not France) for their workers to ride around the inner City suburbs.

I have only one a 2200 but I do have a spare engine protection bar for a 3800, you pay the freight and its yours.
    Mark McKibbin

Quote Originally Posted by markm
    I have only one a 2200 but I do have a spare engine protection bar for a 3800, you pay the freight and its yours.
    Thanks Mark, I appreciate that . I will email you Direct
    Routley 43

I saw this being currently displayed at the 2013 Motorex in Sydney and it made me think of this thread.
    I think it is going to be auctioned by Shannons today (21/7/13).
    Not extactly what you'd expect to see at Motorex!

Motorex is more full of this sort of stuff!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I would love to get my hands on a NSU Quickly as I owned one as an 16 year old in Amsterdam.

A Solex would have been sold at Shannons Motorex auction today. Estimate $2.500-$3.500. They had one last year as well and sold in that price range.

Crazy prices, see

Annonces Motos velosolex Toute la France - leboncoin.fr

The purists would run you over if you refer to the Velosolex as a moped. Those nasty foreign mopeds ( which were a factor in the death of the VeloSolex) use a motor to assist a pedal and chain drive. The VeloSolex is a cyclomoteur à galet, that is a powered bicycle driven by a friction coupling onto a wheel.
    Motobecane Velox Solex-solexgerry.jpg
    Last edited by gerry freed; 22nd July 2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Aahhh, the Mobylette!

Thread Information