Used Car Brokers
  • Register
  • Help

Default Used Car Brokers

Hi all this is not French car related, like a lot of other posts here. But let me know if this is not allowed.
    I am in the market for another used car and am having a problem finding what I want. Does anyone or has anyone used a car broker before?
    I have just looked at a site called Findcars.com.au and they will find a car for you for free, or so they say. How are they making any money? who is paying them are they getting paid from the dealer or wholesaler they are finding the car from? This information does not seem to be disclosed on the site.

I am in country NSW and most of the cars are in the citys which are a min 6 -7 hours drive from where I live. I cannot afford to fly down everytime something comes up. The dealers always tell you its good till you spend $500 going down to look at it and it's a piece of junk. I paid NRMA $200 a few weeks ago to chk one for me. But the information on the form is fairly basic and doesn't go into much detail.

What can you tell me about these types of brokers and are they the way to go. I have a brother in Newcastle who can double check it for me if I can get one there.

Thanks Scott

Advertisement
    1987 Peugeot 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo

There is little substitute for going and looking for yourself.
    You do have a few larger "towns" like Tamworth or Armidale to choose from.Yeah Ha.

Having lived in Armidale , (many years back), I know your predicament.
    Line up as many as you can and make a road trip out of it, (Brisvagas or Sidknee) or hit the Newcastle auctions.

BTW is Dr Hicks still doing the wine in the area.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

The biggest problem is that I want a Land Rover Defender 130 with a steel tray and Air Conditioning. There just isn't many around. I have been looking for a while now and in the last 2 weeks looking everywhere. I have given my name to Rover repairers, parts suppliers as well as looking on the internet every day. There hasn't even been one availiable except the 2 at a Brisbane dealer that are overpriced and been for sale for at least 3 months now. I rang about one in Melbourne but it turned out to be a 110. The owner didn't even know what he had or whether it had air or not? From the last quarters new car sales figures I think they only sold 16 and some of them were problably duel cabs. I just have to be patient.

But does anyone know anything about these brokers? A lot of cars don't make it on to the dealers lot for many reasons and are sold to wholesalers or others, it would be good to get these before they change hands too many times (ie higher prices). eg there was a 2002 F250 at Tamworth toyota a while back, they didn't want to keep it on the lot for very long is suppose because it was a ford. They sold it to a wholesaler for $31,000 who then listed it for sale in Brisbane for $39,000. My father just happened to enquire about this truck at the yard and was told what they sold for and to who. My father then contacted the wholesaler or Brisbane dealer who said he now wanted the 39. Just an example of what I think happens all the time in the used car marketplace. Interested in others views.
    Thanks Scott

130- a good choice. (now, How to fit a pug diesel in it).
    Keep an eye on the defence force disposal auctions, (you will out bid a dealer any day as they will work on a 30% + mark up to wholesale).
    Air can easily be retro fitted.
    Have you tried the Rover dealer in Wollongong???
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Brokers I have dealt with, have been parasites. They ring around and find a dealers car somewhere, and will either tell you or not tell you about the car, based upon how receptive the dealer is to their holding out of the hand. They don't get paid to tell you a car is no good, so don't rely on a broker to do anything more than provide an introduction or haggle a bit.
    If a dealer doesn't want any part of a broker (and I don't) the broker won't be performing a community service. You just won't hear from that broker about that car .
    Forget the middle-man.
    Surely though, these days most classified adverts are gonna be available on the Net?
    I regularly sell cars sight-unseen to interstate customers who first see them on the net. The way I do it is describe the car accurately, work out a deal and will call it sold with a credit card deposit over the phone. So the car is held until he comes to see it.
    This is subject to the buyers approval of the car when he arrives to see it(hence the deposit is refundable). It's in no-ones interest to play games with the cars condition. Most of the cars that I sell this way will be priced $50-$100k.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

How about this one Scott.

From saturday's Canberra Times:

"Landrover Defender 130 TD5, 2001, SN926 $19,990 Wholesale Car Market 75 Newcastle St Fyshwick Ph 62392819 LMVD 181"

Might be what you're after.

Jamie

Oh, and that'll be $100.

Thanks Jamie for the details on the rover.
    I purchased one on Monday from Pickles Newcastle. Bought it over the phone ie phone bid. I only saw it advertised on Sunday and as I live 6 hours away and could not get details till monday morning I stayed at home. I got my brother to quickly look at it before the Auction. I got a cover note for insurance today till I get it home. They insured it for $11,000 more than I paid for it.
    The biggest problem is that Its run out of rego and they kept the plates. I have been told that I need to get a blue slip to register it. My brother was going to do it for me yesterday but was told a different story by an inspection station that said he would have to get a weighbridge ticket. He could not find a station in Newcastle and then rang the RTA who told him they don't know if he needs one or not check the the Blue slip people. He then asked the RTA whether they could tell him where the weigh Bridges are and they refused to disclose the information to him So at this stage I will ring the RTA tomorrow and see if I can get another different answer.
    Cheers Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Thanks Jamie for the details on the rover.
    I purchased one on Monday from Pickles Newcastle. Bought it over the phone ie phone bid. I only saw it advertised on Sunday and as I live 6 hours away and could not get details till monday morning I stayed at home. I got my brother to quickly look at it before the Auction. I got a cover note for insurance today till I get it home. They insured it for $11,000 more than I paid for it.
    The biggest problem is that Its run out of rego and they kept the plates. I have been told that I need to get a blue slip to register it. My brother was going to do it for me yesterday but was told a different story by an inspection station that said he would have to get a weighbridge ticket. He could not find a station in Newcastle and then rang the RTA who told him they don't know if he needs one or not check the the Blue slip people. He then asked the RTA whether they could tell him where the weigh Bridges are and they refused to disclose the information to him So at this stage I will ring the RTA tomorrow and see if I can get another different answer.
    Cheers Scott

Ahhhhh, red tape. Man, you should try to get a 6x4 box trailer registered in the ACT! A veritable merry-go-round.

To get it back to Inverell, just go to any RTA(NSW) and purchase a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle. Should cost you around $28.50 and entitle you to drive the car from Newcastle to Inverell, one way and strictly a direct route, within the times and date you nominate. The maximum time period is 24hrs I think, but may be 12. Just have the details of the car handy (Vin #, etc) as well as your license, and you should be right. You shouldn't need a pinkslip to get this permit either. I'm surprised that Pickles didn't offer to do this for you, as they did it for my dad when he bought a car from the Canberra auction just last week.

I'm sure Inverell would have a weighstation and some sort of RTA. The blueslip is a very similar thing to the pinkslip only it's carried out by a limited number of people outside the RTA. It will check the roadworthiness and the identity of the vehicle, I think. Again, someone in Inverell should be allowed to do this if the RTA can't. If you have any previous rego papers for the car it should have the tare weight on them, but if you haven't got this they will probably want something from a weighstation, as your rego cost will be proportionate to the vehicles weight.

It's a good waste of a day or so (I've done this a couple of times this year alone) but unfortunately it will be necessary to satisfy the highly irritable shiny bums at the rego office, whom show no mercy.

Good luck

Jamie

I rang the RTA and they told me that if the vechicle is going to be moved between 2 points on an unreg vechicle permit. 1 if the route doesn't go through a town or place where you can get a pink slip then you don't need one, but you have to state that it is roadworthy. 2 if you do go through a place where you can get a pink slip then you have to get one. You then take the pink slip and your licience to the RTA to get the permit. In my case they have told me I will need to get a pink slip to get the permit.

I will do some more research on getting a weigh ticket in Newcastle before I worry about a permit. I can easily get one in Inverell as I know and deal with the places that have the weighbridges. And the people that do Blueslips.

I asked the office girl after I purchased the vehicle what I needed to do and she told me that I would have to get a blue slip and advised me of 2 places close by that do them. I then asked could pickles take it around there and get it done. She told me they don't do that. They must be better to deal with in Canberra than Newcastle.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott; 13th October 2005 at 09:26 PM.

Thread Information