using wheel spacers?
  • Register
  • Help

Default using wheel spacers?

Hi froggies,
    I was wondering if anyone has used wheel spacers on their wheels before? I was wondering what experiences they've had using them. I have a 406sv that I want to use after market alloys and found that the front brake calipers are a bit big so it limits my choices of alloys - have been told that spacers will give me a bit more choices if I use them. Would love to hear some experiences regarding noise/performance/handling etc.

cheers anhtu

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails using wheel spacers?-produkt-e-01.jpg  
    --------------
    406 SV
    405 ST
    504 GL

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

In Victoria they are illegal, it is a nasty fine if you get caught using them, they are legal in WA ans SA and in QLD and NSW they are legal if they are bolted to the wheel. I have had the same problem with aftermarket alloys on my ren 19, the calipers locks up solid on the wheels centre hub (renault must have smaller then normal hubs).
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

Icon7

Whay are they illegal in Vic?

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Why are they illegal in Vic?

Matt.
    Cos VicRoads says they are...

The legistlation does state that if the vehicle came with spacers as standard fitment (some Porsche 911's for example) then it is legal.

Apart from that they are ALL illegal in the fine state of Victoria...

I suppose you could try and call the bolt on ones 'hub adapters' instead of wheel spacers, but it might not help when Mr Plod tells you where you can shove your 'hub adaptors'...
    Last edited by mistareno; 12th October 2005 at 05:24 AM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by dave from bendigo
    In Victoria they are illegal, it is a nasty fine if you get caught using them, they are legal in WA ans SA and in QLD and NSW they are legal if they are bolted to the wheel. I have had the same problem with aftermarket alloys on my ren 19, the calipers locks up solid on the wheels centre hub (renault must have smaller then normal hubs).
    Re NSW, Where does it say that???I am very curious as I'm in NSW and could do with 4mm.My reading finds this on the RTA website.
    ....The fitment of wheel spacers between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equiptment by the vehicle manufacturer.
    Are you saying that by bolting them to the wheel that the plate becomes the wheel mounting face??? I;ve been thinking of greying that point ,along these lines for a while now. but was thinking about some sort of 'glue' to bond the two surfaces.
    Jo

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Re NSW, Where does it say that???I am very curious as I'm in NSW and could do with 4mm.My reading finds this on the RTA website.
    ....The fitment of wheel spacers between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equiptment by the vehicle manufacturer.
    Are you saying that by bolting them to the wheel that the plate becomes the wheel mounting face??? I;ve been thinking of greying that point ,along these lines for a while now. but was thinking about some sort of 'glue' to bond the two surfaces.
    Jo

Sorry, i may be wrong about NSW, it used to be legal to bolt them on, it may have changed though.
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

It's bummer you can't use them in Vic. Well 406SV will have to wait a bit longer for new rims. Does anyone know of the offsets for the 406SV wheels? Thanks all for your comments about spacers. I din't know they were illegal here in Vic.
    --------------
    406 SV
    405 ST
    504 GL

BiX

I think they are illegal in Qld, but i do know of someone who had some approved, but then it was a full resto, and alo of the car was fully engineered approved.

Thread Information