Newby asking a question...
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Newby asking a question...

hey people,
    i am new here and was told about your forum by a friend of mine who drives a pug 205 gti, anyway as you can probably tell i am a bit of a nissan purist (hence the user name) and have only owned nissan's up an till now. With all of the bad publicity that nissan performance cars are recieving and the amount of nissan's that are being driven around by idiot's who buy them because of certain mainstream movies and the like, i am tired of being branded as one of those people for driving my car and i am also very tired of being harrased by authorities for owning a modified import.

don't get me wrong i still love them to bits but with my job i need something a bit more discreet that i can get around in without worrying about being defected or harrassed in.

that brings me to my question i am considering buying a hot hatch or something na that is still fun to drive whilst i save my penny's and perhaps buy a late model subaru, any way that's jumping ahead a bit, i am basically looking for a reasonably trouble free car with a bit of poke that i can drive for 12-18 months until my funds are up there to get something a bit newer.

another mate of mine has just bought a clio sport and he raves about it but i am a pretty tall guy and i just don't think i would look right getting out of one...lol. plus they are a bit above what i want to spend on my next car, i want something a bit cheaper...

my first option so far (puts flame suit on ready to get kicked off the forum) i have been considering is a VW Golf VR6...
    i have searched and searched the internet and cannot find any website's or anything resembling a forum in australia, do you guy's no of any apart from
    the vr6 owners club in the uk????

i am curious because i have always had a soft spot for them...

i know they are not a french car but i hope it's not too much of a big deal.

i am also wide open to suggestions.

thanks for reading...
    Greg.

Advertisement

VW's are good. The New Golf GTi especially is very very nice.

thought about an early 306? (Then again you are tall, it's no bigger then a clio)

people on this forum will only convince you to get a frenchie.

try going to:
    http://forums.eurocca.net

They are the Euro Car Club of Australia, there are lot of VW nuts there (mostly BMW nuts though) and a few AFers as well
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Try http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=137

There's a guy on there who owns a VR6 and has been out on a drive with a group of us - it's a sweet machine. Heaps of info there.
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

people on this forum will only convince you to get a frenchie.
    Of course we would otherwise we would be letting down the essence of our being. If you ask a french car owners most I would have thought would say buy French.

1000+ Posts

Where's that Mantra guy....

yeah frenchies arent normally cars that can be just "used", they require love & attention for a long time!

1000+ Posts

Default No worries

Quote Originally Posted by nissan man.
    hey people,
    i am new here and was told about your forum by a friend of mine who drives a pug 205 gti, anyway as you can probably tell i am a bit of a nissan purist
    that brings me to my question i am considering buying a hot hatch , i want something a bit cheaper...<snip>

my first option so far (puts flame suit on ready to get kicked off the forum) i have been considering is a VW Golf VR6...

i have searched and searched the internet and cannot find any website's or anything resembling a forum in australia, <snip>Greg.

Nah greg
    we sort of like the VW guys on here, they aint got knowhere else to go and you can heap a bit of crud on them as they allways put their foot in it! and us Fuego guys just say buy a Renault Fuego and enjoy your motoring

They are a bit sensitive though, and don't like to admit their cars do break down until we catch them out - at least you are looking for something different - best of luck and hope you get something that satisfies.

I know what you mean about those Nissan drivers, one tried to leave me for dead on Banksia Street Hill today, no chance - not bad for a near 30 year old car

I'm six foot tall, would measure up to a US linebacker and drive a Clio.
    I don't reckon they are that small....

Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    I'm six foot tall, would measure up to a US linebacker and drive a Clio.
    I don't reckon they are that small....

Yours is a 182 though, the 172's have about 10mm less headroom.

The Golf III VR6 is a pig of a under steerer, very heavy in the nose, thirsty and not all that fast. What you want if you want a Golf is an early Golf IV GTI with the 1.8t. The 1.8t engine is much lighter than the VR6, and it is nearly as fast as the Turbo Beetle. The turbo Beetle is faster than the VR6 and the GTI as it has better suspension, brakes, tires and is a tad lighter.

The 1.8t is a sweet engine, very frugal if you drive it like you own it, but it has the balls if you drive it like you stole it.

Saying that, I'm 180 cm tall, and I fit comfortably in a C3. Most modern cars can handle people up to 190 cm tall before you're always going to be uncomfortable. However, if you're really tall and wide, like my friend Tom (who weighs nearly 200 kg and about 210 cm tall), I suggest the Turbo Beetle and an extended warranty. The roofline is very tall and it has acres of room for front seat passengers. If you're man enough and are fairly sure about your sexuality, get some flowers for the vase - the chicks totally dig it. I've never had more people approach me than when I drove the turbo Beetle. The Beetle also has the worst resale, so you should pick one up fairly cheap. If you have a bit more cash, an Audi A3 1.8t would be the go, but it's slower but definitely has luxo cachet.

Now... after the Germanic interlude...

The froggy hot hatches are pretty good, although I personally would steer clear of the 206 180 as the RHD conversion is particularly poorly done. I felt crampt and you can feel the steering column turning between your legs when you're depressing the clutch.

If you like your Nissans, you're probably better off with a Clio anyway as Renault 0wns Nissan. You're with family

thanks,
    Andrew

ps. I run Australia's largest VW site:
    http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/

Come say hi, but be careful, most of the guys are air cooled nuts and will convert you on the essence of the 1916 engine. With a 700 kg body, the power to weight ratio is definite "sleeper".
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Quote Originally Posted by nissan man.
    hey people,
    i am new here and was told about your forum by a friend of mine who drives a pug 205 gti, anyway as you can probably tell i am a bit of a nissan purist (hence the user name) and have only owned nissan's up an till now. With all of the bad publicity that nissan performance cars are recieving and the amount of nissan's that are being driven around by idiot's who buy them because of certain mainstream movies and the like, i am tired of being branded as one of those people for driving my car and i am also very tired of being harrased by authorities for owning a modified import.

don't get me wrong i still love them to bits but with my job i need something a bit more discreet that i can get around in without worrying about being defected or harrassed in.

that brings me to my question i am considering buying a hot hatch or something na that is still fun to drive whilst i save my penny's and perhaps buy a late model subaru, any way that's jumping ahead a bit, i am basically looking for a reasonably trouble free car with a bit of poke that i can drive for 12-18 months until my funds are up there to get something a bit newer.

another mate of mine has just bought a clio sport and he raves about it but i am a pretty tall guy and i just don't think i would look right getting out of one...lol. plus they are a bit above what i want to spend on my next car, i want something a bit cheaper...

i have searched and searched the internet and cannot find any website's or anything resembling a forum in australia, do you guy's no of any apart from
    the vr6 owners club in the uk????

i am curious because i have always had a soft spot for them...

i know they are not a french car but i hope it's not too much of a big deal.

i am also wide open to suggestions.

thanks for reading...
    Greg.

Greg,

GO THE DATTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i happen to be a nissan driver who also appreciates the comfort of a french car)

anyways........

so you want something just for putting around, but with a bit of stick, fun to drive, cheap (i dont know what you mean by cheap, cheap for me is under a thousand bucks) and something with a lot of space........

Enter: the 505GTI

its cheap (under or sometimes not far over 1000bucks)
    scrubs up like a million dollars with nice paint and a set of readily available mags.
    has a fair bit of stick
    handles like its on rails
    is comfortable, most have sunroof, all have air, steer, power windows, central locking, independant suspension, disk brakes etc
    LOTS of room for big people like you and me

and, you might be lucky enough to find a turbo one......

just a thought, why not go dirt cheap, but get the nice looks (not over the top) good handleing, and reasonable speed to go with it....

anyways, GO THE DATTO and cya later

There really isn t much when it comes to headroom between the golf and 306 for eg (i m 6'3")...I d recomend a 306 s16 if you want something more modern.........
    But really...the 205gti in any guise is HARD to beat...its almost a PERFECT car....
    If you are generally the only person in the car and ocassionally require to load it up ...its ideal....As for fun.........Dare I say it...ITS UNBEATABLE. FULL STOP
    You can make it dance, prance.....hell its like a goddamned ballerina on steroids thats had a sex change (not that I know anything about it)...Anyway....the 205 gti is KING (we all know that here) (except for some of the citroen guys)..
    Otherwise look at early golfs (no, none of these 1.8 turbos, I mean late seventies early eighties)...they are supercheap and completely reliable and easy to look after and will beat the pants of most modern hatches....The fuegos
    are the mystery cars...completely underated....would put most nissans to shame...and very practical 2.....Threre are ofcourse the early corollas (gti) which are rev happy and were a decent effort, ...the sss has its advatages and is getting cheaper by the minute, then the little honda crx (dash is no better built than the pug), mazda mx6 cheap and can be made to be brutal, but even stock gives you 4wsteer etc,.....many to choose from,...
    Drive them, thrash them...whatever...its your choice....hell you might find that an early charade is what you want...3 cylinders, but a real cracker...

cheers

dino
    Last edited by dino; 8th October 2005 at 06:37 PM.

Tadpole

ok guy's thanks for the feedback,

i am still so undecided i like the idea of the vr6 with four door's a nineties chasis and a six cylinder, i don't however like the idea of a thirsty understeer machine. (a test drive will tell)

i get 400ish km to a 60lt tank of semi spirited city driving out of my car which has a late model sr20det engine making close to 200rwkw. so i would like better economy than that. (not that i'm complaining)

i am not looking for something that is older than '94, and i don't mind spending money if it is something that i really like i do however want to emphasise reliability and availablility of replacement parts is a big priority.

and my personal preference for my next car is atmo, i have owned 3 turbo charged nissan sports cars and i am infected and highly contagious with a little disease called "modifying" aka "money spending"...

cheers
    and keep the suggestions coming...

anyone driven a 1996-7 850R?? (i know they are turbo but...)

Greg.

Thread Information