Acetone fuel additive
  • Register
  • Help

Default Acetone fuel additive

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

This came by way of the Lada Niva mailing list.....I don't know quite what to make of it. Anyone have any comments?

Advertisement
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Hi
    This topic has been discussed before here:
    More on Fuel alternatives/additives
    I think the outcome of the discussion was that it was unlikely to make a noticeable difference if any, but I think there were a few people willing to give it a go and look fo improvements in efficiency etc...
    It would be interesting to hear from those that did try it, and what the outcome was.
    Anyone?
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

1000+ Posts

I tried it and found it particularly useful for removing nail polish deposits off of my injectors.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I tried it and found it particularly useful for removing nail polish deposits off of my injectors.
    Good one Stuey, best laugh all day.

Paul.

1000+ Posts

I've added aceton to my daughters' cars. Suzuki Swift and '84 Pulser. Have kept a fuel record but the savings could be between .2 and .5 of a liter /100km. But without doing a controlled experiment i tend to think it is in the lower range. But, using ul in the Pulser it used to pink but with aceton added this problem stopped (it also stopped using 75 octan or higher).
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    I've added aceton to my daughters' cars. Suzuki Swift and '84 Pulser. Have kept a fuel record but the savings could be between .2 and .5 of a liter /100km. But without doing a controlled experiment i tend to think it is in the lower range. But, using ul in the Pulser it used to pink but with aceton added this problem stopped (it also stopped using 75 octan or higher).
    Jo
    The only experience Ihave had with it was using it with fiberglass. At that time I owned a crappy 4 cylinder Torana to supplement the 16TS. Acetone down the carb got the mongrel to start really easily(....that car was the worst bit of auto technology I have ever owned...30,000km and the aussie motor(as opposed to the Opel engine) was just stuffed).

Fiberglassing the inside of corrugated iron water tanks and using acetone like water really does a lot for your state of mind.

On the science front I didn't think that petrol had much in the way of surface tension (that acetone allegedly reduces)

1000+ Posts

BogMaster, i don't know but i like to muck around with ideas, just in case there is something to it. My chemistry only got to year 11 and some year 12. Probably could nut out the science side given time and determination.
    Not sure i care enough - just being lazy.
    By the way 'BogMaster' are you a pannelbeater?
    Cheers, Jo

I purchased a 1000ml bottle from the hardware store and have used it all now at the rate of 1ml per 1000ml of petrol or (1 litre) I am going to continue using it as I have found in both my v8 fords that they idle more smoothly and I am getting I believe from all the rural highway driving that I do about 7-10% better fuel economy. If I purchase acetone in larger quantity next time it will be more economic.

Just on a different topic we have been travelling to tamworth regularily for health reasons lately. Have been down 5 times in my fathers KJ series 2 Verada (Magna) 5 speed auto. All trips were over the same path and distance with similar driving patterns and driver. Result on normal ulp 9.5L/100km first 3 trips. The last 2 were with premium super vortex average usage 8.8L/100km. These are from the cars computer. It certainly pays in this instance to use the better fuel. Average driving time 5.5 hours for each trip.
    1987 Peugeot 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    By the way 'BogMaster' are you a pannelbeater?
    Cheers, Jo
    Nah JoBo, not a panelbeater.....I did use a fair bit of bog at one time and at the time I thought BM would be a good tag.

I would actually like to change my nick as I'm well and truly sick of it now but can't see a way to do that here other than by re-registering.

Thread Information