Temporary Paint Protection
  • Register
  • Help

Default Temporary Paint Protection

Has anyone had any experience with this product?

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/...hpro/index.htm

I am starting to get a number of stone chips on my bonnet from doing lots of drive days in convoy. I am thinking this could be a good solution to cover the bonnet and side skirts with the stuff for these drives.

Advertisement
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Tadpole

Icon7 Darcy

Looks good, put it on before a country trip and peel it off when home. It would also take those darn tar spots off as well. Womder what it looks like in the flesh so to speak. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by ACT180
    Has anyone had any experience with this product?

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/...hpro/index.htm

I am starting to get a number of stone chips on my bonnet from doing lots of drive days in convoy. I am thinking this could be a good solution to cover the bonnet and side skirts with the stuff for these drives.

I have no idea it that'll work (never tried anything like it), I'm sure it would prevent low impact stone chips to the paintwork. As for harder impacts you'd think it would still cause some damage (although much less than without the protection).

That protection looks like the same stuff vinyl decals are made out of. Say you covered a painted metal surface in some thick, flexible plastic and hit it with a hard object about as hard as a rock would come flying at your car - I'd think the impact would still cause the paint to come away from the panel.

I'd like to think it would work well against morons (if it wasn't for censorship rules I'd really let you know what I think of them) opening their door into you in car parks.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

The picture on the site of the guy peeling it off the car indicates that it may be pretty strong and might be resistant to a stone breaking it's surface and getting to the paint. If stone was big enough would obviously still dent but at least the paint would still be in tact maybe. Don't know, could be wrong.

I can't find a price anywhere by looking on web, will have to make some calls. I hope I see the day that morons are prevented from damaging other's property in carparks. Makes me so angry!!

1000+ Posts

I'd be pretty careful on the paint work.

For my camera gear i put some clear book contact (cheapest i could find) and gently put it on a clean car (didnt put any force so it stuck really well) After being there a few days the paint went all wrinkly!!!
    after 2 months its back to normal?!? they just settled out...

I'm just wondering if its just PVC glue!!! hehehe
    (anyone care to try?)

I've also gotta look at getting some very thick vinyl film & using that to cover the car, more than likely i'll just use static electricity to charge it & a few magnets maybe... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    After being there a few days the paint went all wrinkly!!!
    after 2 months its back to normal?!? they just settled out...
    See below quote from the site:

"Scratch Pro film is very similar to that of a skin or membrane, allowing the paint surface to out gas while protecting the paint finish."

Had no idea that paint produces a gas or has to breathe but that could have been your problem with the paint going wrinkly with the book contact I'd say.

Thread Information