Caravelle spindles on Dauphine
  • Register
  • Help

Default Caravelle spindles on Dauphine

Does anyone know if the Caravelle spindles & disc assemblies will fit a Dauphine? Must I be more specific (year?-part number?)

Thanks,
    Scott

Advertisement

The rear end can be pretty well swapped with no problems. At the front though you need to :

Remove the front cross member of the Dauphine ( this will involve drilling out the spot welds and then welding the new unit in place) and replace it with the Caravelle (R8) crossmember, the R8/Caravelle front suspension and the hubs/discs can then be attached. You may need to modify the front wheel wells to accommodate the R8 steering gear.

People tell me that this isn't as hard as it might sound. I haven't done it, but have to spoke to a few who have...apologies for any glaring inaccuracies.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by supo
    Does anyone know if the Caravelle spindles & disc assemblies will fit a Dauphine? Must I be more specific (year?-part number?)

Thanks,
    Scott
    Yes, more info please. Which Caravelle are they from R1092/R1131/R1133? And the oval plate number, and same info for the Dauphine. As they may fit the Dauphine, if they are early Caravelle hubs and bearings. But it all depends on the relative details of the cars (and probably how original the donor cars are too!).

The disc assemblies can be fitted to the original Dauphine hubs. The original rivets that hold the drum backing plate are removed, and bolts used to put the disc brake assembly in the same position. About 3mm will have to be removed from the back of the hub near the bearing, and the outer bearing position in the hub will have to machined inwards around 10mm.

The Caravelle has longer spindles than the Dauphine and this is why the outer bearing position has to be moved inward. I did this some years ago on my 4CV but did not write any of the measurements down. You may want to box in the lower arms to help stop the lower arms from flexing. The wheel bearings on a 4CV, Dauphine, R8&10 and Caravelle are all the same. I fitted R10 brakes to the 4CV.

The disc brakes from an R1130 R8 (1962-1964) are a bolt on fit as they had the short spindles. All this sounded a lot easier than changing the crossmember to me, as the boot floor also had to be modified to fit the whole crossmember to the 750.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information