sunroof ergonomics
  • Register
  • Help

Default sunroof ergonomics

For anyone installing a sunroof, make sure the switch is at least a hand space distance away from any mechanism.I found that out the painfull way, yesterday. I was driving down Powder Works road, a bendy,narrow main road, and decided to shut the roof.My finger was in the gap and the sunroof shut against it. My reflex action was to pull my finger out, but this caused more pressure on the switch, shutting it tighter. By now I'm in agony,with my finger fully stuck in the roof, and am aproaching a 3rd gear bend, which requires me to change gear with my right hand, brace the wheel with my leg, and then snap the hand back to the wheel for the corner,all the time in agony.It felt like about ten seconds before I was steady enough to use my right hand on the switch.Luckilly no finger damage, and no colision, but I was a very pale shade of white after all that!!
    Jo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Where is our resident cartoonist when you need em.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    For anyone installing a sunroof, make sure the switch is at least a hand space distance away from any mechanism.I found that out the painfull way, yesterday. I was driving down Powder Works road, a bendy,narrow main road, and decided to shut the roof.My finger was in the gap and the sunroof shut against it. My reflex action was to pull my finger out, but this caused more pressure on the switch, shutting it tighter. By now I'm in agony,with my finger fully stuck in the roof, and am aproaching a 3rd gear bend, which requires me to change gear with my right hand, brace the wheel with my leg, and then snap the hand back to the wheel for the corner,all the time in agony.It felt like about ten seconds before I was steady enough to use my right hand on the switch.Luckilly no finger damage, and no colision, but I was a very pale shade of white after all that!!
    Jo
    Not wanting to add to the pain jo, but this would make a fine cartoon of Fuego driver with extended finger through the roof, changing gears with toes and braking at the same time, and hanging on to steering, uttering strange oaths and alternating between red and white faces, if you can see the funny side of it now. Commisseration and hope its not a serious injury that will interfere with your music making mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Not wanting to add to the pain jo, but this would make a fine cartoon of Fuego driver with extended finger through the roof, changing gears with toes and braking at the same time, and hanging on to steering, uttering strange oaths and alternating between red and white faces, if you can see the funny side of it now. Commisseration and hope its not a serious injury that will interfere with your music making mate!
    I was cracking up with my stupidity as soon as it happened.I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for the whole fiasco. there was a moment when I wondered if I'd crash, and if I did, what would become of my fingers.Had this image of the police turning up to see me doing the nazi salute, passed out.
    Jo

Ahh, the hazards of electricity
    I have just installed an old sliding vinyl sunroof to my old GS, only to discover that it tends to shut itself every time I brake

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    I have just installed an old sliding vinyl sunroof to my old GS, only to discover that it tends to shut itself every time I brake
    Ahh, the hazards of deceleration!
    Jo

Icon11 Simple fix

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    This one's an easy fix - remove the brakes

Thread Information